• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Womens World Cup Thread

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually learned today a U15 team in Dallas beat the USWNT 5-2 in 2017. And that was just some random club team, not our boys national team. So yes, the national team of 15 yo’s Would mop the floor with the women.

I was going to post a snide “link” but then I just googled. Yes, indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/amp/

Look at the size of that one kid.....sheesh. If many of them were that much bigger it’s no wonder.

Points to you....a U15 men’s team could beat the USWNT. For me though it doesn’t change my feeling towards the national women’s game. It’s proof why there is a women’s game.

It also doesn’t change the economics, which show the women’s team has driven more revenue in recent years than the men’s. I know that’s not an argument that you made, but it dovetails for me.

This does not put any taint on that WC trophy for me.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to post a snide “link” but then I just googled. Yes, indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/amp/

Look at the size of that one kid.....sheesh. If many of them were that much bigger it’s no wonder.

Points to you....a U15 men’s team could beat the USWNT. For me though it doesn’t change my feeling towards the national women’s game. It’s proof why there is a women’s game.

It also doesn’t change the economics, which show the women’s team has driven more revenue in recent years than the men’s. I know that’s not an argument that you made, but it dovetails for me.

This does not put any taint on that WC trophy for me.

Yup it’s just biological factors plain and simple. When I saw that picture too of the 15 year old I was like no wonder. I’m not trying to take anything away from the women’s competition and accomplishments, it’s all relative and kudos to them. But this Forbe’s piece also details the income disparity. The women actually make more money proportionally. The men bring in billions more for the sport though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...arity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/amp/

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup it’s just biological factors plain and simple. When I saw that picture too of the 15 year old I was like no wonder. I’m not trying to take anything away from the women’s competition and accomplishments, it’s all relative and kudos to them. But this Forbe’s piece also details the income disparity. The women actually make more money proportionally. The men bring in billions more for the sport though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...arity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/amp/

The article makes a fair point. Except for one thing....this isn’t about the disparity of the world game. This isn’t about what each World Cup brings in and doles out. The differences at that level is astronomical.

And, unless I am wrong, tournament prizes are not what the lawsuit is about.

This is about things at the US team level. What the US Soccer Federation pays the players, for those other 3 years and 11 months for example.

There is ultimate disparity and economics when there is not a tournament. The men can make a decent living in the pros. And more power to them. They drive a thriving product the women’s side has never been able to string up.

What they are arguing for is better pay from US Soccer....because this is their cash cow to weigh in on.

You can look it up....over the last few years US Soccer financial reports show the USWNT bringing in more revenue than the USMNT to US Soccer. That’s the piece of the pie they want....and I do believe they are worth a raise.

Will see how it plays out with arbitration soon enough, I’m sure.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article makes a fair point. Except for one thing....this isn’t about the disparity of the world game. This isn’t about what each World Cup brings in and doles out. The differences at that level is astronomical.

And, unless I am wrong, tournament prizes are not what the lawsuit is about.

This is about things at the US team level. What the US Soccer Federation pays the players, for those other 3 years and 11 months for example.

There is ultimate disparity and economics when there is not a tournament. The men can make a decent living in the pros. And more power to them. They drive a thriving product the women’s side has never been able to string up.

What they are arguing for is better pay from US Soccer....because this is their cash cow to weigh in on.

You can look it up....over the last few years US Soccer financial reports show the USWNT bringing in more revenue than the USMNT to US Soccer. That’s the piece of the pie they want....and I do believe they are worth a raise.

Will see how it plays out with arbitration soon enough, I’m sure.

You could also toss in that in the recent past, US Soccer has given the women shoddy training facilities and field conditions compared to the men as well

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also toss in that in the recent past, US Soccer has given the women shoddy training facilities and field conditions compared to the men as well

Good point. I haven’t read the lawsuit myself, but wonder if that’s part of it. I have heard this point made too.

The field conditions I know was an issue with FIFA, and not US Soccer directly, in 2015, when they used artificial turf in Canada. Imagine a men’s final being played on a universally hated surface (or wait until 2022).

What gets me is the mixing of messages. This isn’t about tournament payouts....where the percentage to revenue driven by the World Cup are greatly equal.

This is about what US Soccer pays their players. ~99k for women.....~263k for men. But each team pulls roughly equal revenue (women a little more than last few years)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy....-uswnt-soccer-salary-men-usmnt-world-cup/amp/

The women should have more comparable pay and training facilities to the men from US Soccer. Period.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say no for both. Lloyd will likely see a drop over the next four years due to age.

Rapinoe will be 38. And it’s possible if she can stay healthy. The problem is she is a pure winger without a real fallback position. Touch is her weapon and she needs speed to maximize it. If her speed drops off too much that could spell an end. Maybe if she really holds up her and Press will swap roles. Pugh is very much in that mix too.

I like Heath-Morgan-Press going forward.

I think we are good at mid with LaValle, Horan and Mewis. Ertz could be a wildcard there but could also go back to CB.

Four years is a long time.....so it will look like it’s going to look after about 3 years of shaking out.
Actually, Rapinoe was a mid fielder for the majority of her career on the WNT. They used to run a 2 4 4 with Alex and Abby up top with Rapinoe at midfield. Your argument stand though, as good as Rapinoe is, I don't see her beating out Horan, Mewis, Rose and Ertz for any of the three spots. Technically, I could see her only doing the Lloyd job this go around in 4 years. Lloyd would be long gone by then. My guess after the Olympics.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Rapinoe was a mid fielder for the majority of her career on the WNT. They used to run a 2 4 4 with Alex and Abby up top with Rapinoe at midfield. Your argument stand though, as good as Rapinoe is, I don't see her beating out Horan, Mewis, Rose and Ertz for any of the three spots. Technically, I could see her only doing the Lloyd job this go around in 4 years. Lloyd would be long gone by then. My guess after the Olympics.

You make a good point. I was thinking with the years alignment in mind. And, as you show, that alignment could change again in four years to fit the talent.

I could see a sub in the mid like Lloyd subbed the forward this year. Just can’t see more than that. Hell, Morgan will be 34 by then. Still young, but quite a few miles for a forward. A long time away....but maybe we see Pugh coming up at striker....or (fill in the blank).

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Shit. Ellis announced her resignation from coaching the USWNT today. Thought she would stick it out through the Olympics next summer.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Shit. Ellis announced her resignation from coaching the USWNT today. Thought she would stick it out through the Olympics next summer.

Honestly, I think this is good... Ellis was hard-headed on some things, and flat out wrong on others IMO. I feel we won in spite of her. We are that deep and that good I believe. I don't dislike Ellis, but think we can do better.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think this is good... Ellis was hard-headed on some things, and flat out wrong on others IMO. I feel we won in spite of her. We are that deep and that good I believe. I don't dislike Ellis, but think we can do better.
Can't argue with any of this, but with the Olympics next summer I was hoping for consistency, not a new coach implementing new system, new training procedures, perhaps unfamiliar with the player issues (physical wise), etc... I agree with the idea that Ellis is not the end all, be all of coaches. I did like her better than Pia though.