• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TIM AND MIKE: Training camp Day 12 observations

Defensive snaps: Miles Killebrew has been a core special teamer for the Lions for a couple seasons now, but don’t be surprised to see him on defense early Thursday night. Killebrew didn’t play a single snap on defense last year while transitioning from safety to linebacker. With Jarrad Davis and Christian Jones still sitting out Wednesday’s walkthrough as they rehab injuries, Killebrew was playing with the first-team defense. – Tim Twentyman

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joint practice recap: Hockenson’s ‘game-winning’ TD highlights feisty practice

Perhaps the best performer on the Lions offensive line was Frank Ragnow, who won reps against two solid Patriots interior defenders: Danny Shelton and Mike Pennel Jr.

On the other side of the coin, the Lions’ tackles had a rough day overall. Taylor Decker was beaten handily by Chase Winovich on an early rep, while Ryan Pope had one of the worst days I’ve ever seen in camp. Unlucky for him, Winovich was repping against the Lions’ third-string offensive line most of the day, and he may not have lost a single rep. Andrew Donnal also fell victim at least once.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BB_72; My belief is that you'll see the return of this style this year but possibly not early on in those first 4 games.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'HARA: Killebrew showing his ability to adapt

Killebrew has been one of the core players on special teams since coming to the Lions as a fourth-round draft pick in 2016. He was drafted as a safety and played that position primarily as a backup his first two seasons.

Killebrew played a career-high 353 snaps at safety in 2017. He was switched to linebacker in training camp last year and did not play on defense but continued in his role as one of the top players on special teams.

He has remained at linebacker this year. He should benefit from the experience of last season at linebacker, plus having a full offseason and training camp this year.

“Right now, I’m working with the linebackers,” he said “I’m playing a lot of special teams as well. I say it all the time – I’m a football player. Whatever the coach needs.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TIM AND MIKE: Training camp Day 11 observations

Observations from Lions training camp, Day 11, Hockenson and Amendola shine

Justin Coleman continues to be up and down
It was a very up and down day for Coleman — his entire camp has been that way — I had him down the PBU above, as well as another one later in the day, but he was also getting burned far too often. The potential is there, but the consistency isn’t right now.

One of the biggest problems this defense will have is covering shifty slot receivers. This secondary matches up very well with bigger receivers, but when players like Amendola show up, I’m not sure they have an answer.

BB_72; The 9M apy nickel CB started out in camp good but Berrios and Dorsett both schooled him. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Running backs drills

I spent some time focusing on the running backs drills today and I came away with three impressions.

First, Kerryon Johnson is incredibly difficult to cover and routinely got open. He is also solidifying his anchor in pass blocking drills, which should help keep him on the field in every situation.

Second, Ty Johnson’s speed makes him a weapon but his pass blocking needs improvement. This most likely translates to him being limited in certain situations until he can gain consistency, but he will still be involved in the passing game because he has very solid hands and is electric in the open field.

Third, Nick Bawden is going to be a weapon as a pass-catching option, especially in the red zone because he is very difficult to cover in small spaces. He can use his power to separate, his athleticism to get off blocks with technique, and I haven’t seen him drop a ball this week.

BB_72; Bawden has really come on in the last week and I forgot to mention him on the offense players to standout.

This offense could be one of the top 8 in the league if everyone comes together and all remain healthy. imo. It's all up to Stafford to make this offense jell.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Observations from Lions training camp, Day 10: Joint Practices with the Patriots

Nick Bawden isn’t on the roster bubble anymore
The first set of drills the team opened today’s camp with was skill players versus their counterpart on the opposing team. With Lions’ general manager Bob Quinn focused in on the Lions running backs and tight ends versus the Patriots defensive backs and linebackers, that is where I locked in on as well.

The biggest thing to catch my attention was the fluidity at which fullback Nick Bawden created separation and got open in the passing game. He scored touchdowns on both a crossing route and a curl, showing reliable hands in both situations. He is very difficult to cover in short-yardage situations.

When he wasn’t catching the ball, he was looking to deliver impact shots as a run blocker. In one rep he flattened the Patriots linebacker on a punishing block, but then on the next rep, the linebacker used Bawden’s overaggressiveness to his advantage and sidestepped him, leaving Bawden blocking air.

He’s still working out the rough spots, but he is most likely going to have a bigger role in this offense than we have seen from the fullback position in years past.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every position's biggest winner at the halfway point of Lions training camp

EDGE rushers – Eric Lee
Eric Lee was considered a potential bubble player entering camp, but with boatloads on injuries on the defensive front, Lee has grasped the opportunity to show his versatility — playing at down defensive end and JACK linebacker — and has looked solid at each spot. Right now, he’s comfortably inside my 53-man roster projection.

Good to hear. Need help there. Dont want to depend on Tavai.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TIM AND MIKE: Training camp Day 11 observations

Justin Coleman continues to be up and down
It was a very up and down day for Coleman — his entire camp has been that way — I had him down the PBU above, as well as another one later in the day, but he was also getting burned far too often. The potential is there, but the consistency isn’t right now.

One of the biggest problems this defense will have is covering shifty slot receivers. This secondary matches up very well with bigger receivers, but when players like Amendola show up, I’m not sure they have an answer.

BB_72; The 9M apy nickel CB started out in camp good but Berrios and Dorsett both schooled him. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm.

Ugh!. The exact thing we brought him in for he is struggling with. We dont have any one else either AFAIK. Maybe we move Diggs to slot and Adams to safety against teams that have those types of players.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree with plays a lot of spots. Last year alone had in-game reps at LG, RG, FB, TE, H-Back and 6th OL.

Dahl has yet to play above average or even average at any position but that versatility is difficult to come by.

So he basically sucks at every position?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the best college blockers don't always make the adjustment.

The bitch better make the adjustment if we are burning a top 8 pick on his ass.