• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The standouts in camp to date have been from the offense side Glasgow, Hockenson, Ragnow and Amendola (he's been practically uncoverable so far). The defense standouts have been extremely limited overall as many have had the ups and downs but S Walker has easily had the best camp of any player from that side. Players that have had more positive results than negative have been S Adams, LB Killebrew, DL Strong and LB Dooley.

Worthy of note is Oruwariye has given up some big plays but also has had the Ebron syndrome (5 would be Int's). He has had a couple Int's that he's held onto and many Pbu's. His footwork has been pretty damn good from what I've read, however, it's been the mental aspect where he's had some breakdowns.

2019 3rd round pick, S Harris, has really struggled during camp and mostly in zone coverage but his man skill coverage has also lacked but not to the degree of the former. He might be a possible stash on PUP with some type of injury unless he really progresses immensely during these pre-season games and the rest of practices and scrimmages.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions scrimmage observations: Tight ends put on a show

Defensive tackle Kevin Strong continues to make a good impression. He picked up a “sack.”

Danny Amendola continues to look uncoverable by the Lions defensive backs. He found daylight several times on Friday and turned one into a big gain.

A few big plays from Zach Zenner, both in the receiving game. He picked up nearly 30 yards on a reverse-field throw back, and followed that up with another 10-yard grab on the very next play.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 standouts from the Detroit Lions’ scrimmage game

The biggest standout and someone who has really impressed me lately has to be Andrew Adams.

Adams is a true ballhawk and has made countless plays on the ball during camp this year. During the scrimmage game, he showed off his impressive ball tracking skills by hunting down an overthrown ball that I believe was intended for Travis Fulgham. Adams cradled in the ball over his shoulder like a wide receiver would and earned some much needed points at the time for the defense.

Surprisingly, it was not Andrew Adams’ coverage skills that impressed me the most, but his ability to dish out a nasty hit on Andy Jones over the middle on the final drive of the game. If Adams can continue to stand out in a crowded secondary, then I have a hard time seeing him not making the final 53.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every position's biggest winner at the halfway point of Lions training camp

Interior defensive line – Kevin Strong
Everyone loves and undrafted sleeper, and if I had to make a bet as to which one makes the 53-man roster — hands down it’s Kevin Strong.

“He is a little bit different than some of the bigger bodies that are out there,” Patricia said when asked about Strong on Tuesday. “From a defensive tackle standpoint, I think there is some more flexibility with some of the things positionally that we can do with him.”

In camp so far, Strong has played and thrived at the 3-technique and 5-technique, while also showing the range to play at nose tackle and outside at defensive end. Right now, he reminds a bit me of Da’Shawn Hand-lite in his positional range, and there’s room for that on this roster.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EDGE rushers – Eric Lee
Eric Lee was considered a potential bubble player entering camp, but with boatloads on injuries on the defensive front, Lee has grasped the opportunity to show his versatility — playing at down defensive end and JACK linebacker — and has looked solid at each spot. Right now, he’s comfortably inside my 53-man roster projection.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cornerbacks – Amani Oruwariye
Darius Slay has yet to practice — he was just activated from the NFI list — and Teez Tabor is dealing with a minor injury, which has opened the door for Amani Oruwariye to take over in the starting lineup. He likely won’t stick there as the veteran players in front of him on the depth chart return, but he is clearly entrenched in the two-deep rotation and is gaining valuable experience. He still has some rough spots, as is expected with rookie corners, but it won’t be long before his name is in the mix to start every week.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 winners, 3 losers from the first two weeks of Lions training camp

Winner: Tracy Walker
Count me as one of the people who was a little skeptical of Walker assuming a starting role after only playing a limited role in his rookie season. However, Walker has done plenty already to assuage my concerns.

Walker has been all over the field over the past two weeks, dropping down as a box safety occasionally and looking great in zone coverage as well. Perhaps most importantly, Walker has proven to be one of the few Lions defenders that can match up with Detroit’s tight ends one-on-one.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winner: Danny Amendola
On the other side of the coin, Danny Amendola has come into camp and answered every possible question about him. At 33 years old, he’s easily the most polished route-runner on the team, and I haven’t seen him put a single pass on the ground. Now, if he can just finally answer his most pressing question—can he stay healthy?—there’s a chance Amendola greatly outperforms expectations in 2019.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winner: Graham Glasgow
No one has stood out on the offensive line more than Graham Glasgow. His move to right guard seems to have been an easy one, and the former Wolverine has meshed well alongside Rick Wagner and Frank Ragnow.

It’s curious as to why Glasgow continues to share his first-team reps with Oday Aboushi, but Glasgow is putting plenty of good tape together to not only convince the Lions to keep him as a starter, but to strongly consider a contract extension before training camp is over.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have hope for him, Pope, Crosby, and Benzschawel. I don't think they all pan out, but 1 or 2 of them do and the oline could be set for years.

Loser: Lions 2019 undrafted rookie class
Many fans were a little upset when draft experts considered the Lions’ undrafted free agent haul among the league’s worst. However, if training camp has been any indication, they may have been onto something.

Beau Benzschawel and Ryan Pope were both considered high-priority free agent rookies, but both have shown no signs of competing for a roster spot this year. For a team with plenty of questions along the offensive line—and, in particular, its depth—it’s definitely been a disappointment for this group.

The lone exception for the Lions’ UDFA class is defensive tackle Kevin Strong, who is taking advantage of his increased reps due to Detroit being short handed at the position.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winner: Andrew Adams
One of the Lions’ most undersold free-agent signings, Andrew Adams has consistently gotten some first-team reps as Detroit’s third safety in dime sets. It’s one thing to be taking first-team reps, it’s another to shine during those plays. Adams is definitely doing both. Outside of Tracy Walker, there hasn’t been a more impressive defensive back than Adams during training camp, as the veteran safety has shown he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions-Patriots Day 1 joint practice observations: Hot start, slow finish

Lastly, Tom Savage closed 11-on-11s with a perfect pass to Ty Johnson on a wheel route that allow the Lions’ rookie running back to utilize his best skill: speed.

BB_72; This 4-5 times that RB Ty Johnson has showcased his receiving skills and speed. I fully expect him to make the final 53 and be utilized more as the season progresses. I also believe that Bevell will implement a more down the field attack as the season wears on versus all the so-called media reports of a more heavy reliance on the run game.

I read somewhere that the Lions were run oriented approximately 37% last year whereas the league average was around 41-42 % (If I remember correctly). The downfield shots were limited last year in comparison to 2017 and maybe Stafford's back injury combined with play-calling from JBC hindered that aspect.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions - Patriots joint practice stock report

Oruwariye continued to pick up first team reps even after the return of Darius Slay. While I don’t believe he has made headway to seriously contending for the CB2 position currently owned by Rashaan Melvin, he showed incredible promise throughout practice against the Patriots. Playing against N’Keal Harry for the most part, Oruwariye kept the Patriots first-round rookie in check for most of the day, notching a couple pass deflections and a pick to his credit. It wasn’t a perfect day. Oruwariye dropped an interception, at least his fourth of camp, and he gave up a pair of touchdowns. One of those touchdowns saw N’Keal Harry make a ridiculous one handed leaping grab with Oruwariye and Andrew Adams in zone coverage, while the second one was Phillip Dorsett on a go route. Dorsett, who ran a 4.33 at the 2015 NFL Combine, beat Oruwariye quickly but the Lions fifth round rookie had caught up to Dorsett as the ball arrived, only a hair too late to prevent the catch.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions - Patriots joint practice stock report

Miles Killebrew, LB: Funny thing after the past couple of practices I’m beginning to think Miles Killebrew might not only make the roster for his special teams work but also have a role on defense.

Eric Lee, DE: One of the few pass rushers to make an impact on the day, Lee dashed through the Patriots line on one play for a ‘sack’ that looked all too easy.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB: JRM has always been good in coverage, but his best play of the day was in the red zone. The Patriots tried to rush Sony Michel up the gut and JRM lit him up so hard it echoed across Allen Park.

Jahlani Tavai, LB: Tavai struggled mightily again in man coverage, but in team drills he showed why the Lions liked him. One one play he cut through the Patriots DL on a stretch run, knifing into the backfield to take down the running back for a loss.

BB_72; Tavai has had his ups and downs and the latter comes from his sometimes mental mistakes in coverage but his overall coverage skills, for being a rookie, have been better than the negative reporting states.