• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't this guy supposed to be a bad ass blocker too? I thought that is why we spent the top 10 pick on him?

HOF bound. You can thank @Stomp for this pick

Training camp observations: Lions shake up their offensive line

Hocken-block
We’ve talked plenty about T.J. Hockenson’s dominance as a receiver this training camp, and Saturday was another display of that, hauling in at least two more scores and a couple extra contested grabs. But Hockenson’s blocking skills were evident.

During one-on-one blocking drills—a drill that heavily favors the defense—Hockenson easily kept Devon Kennard at bay (Kennard would later get his revenge against Jesse James). And then in full 11-on-11s, Hockenson helped seal the edge on one of those classic Kerryon Johnson carries off the left edge. The run likely would have gone for 15-20 yards.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UDFA DL Strong has made a case to be considered for the final 53 so long as his play continues over these final 3 weeks (even against our starting lineup of O-Lineman.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well crap. I had a gif of that hit Savage took while with Houston but it isn't working.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offensive line shakeup
With Tyrell Crosby out, it sent a domino effect down the Lions offensive line. Here’s what the top two units looked like.

Team 1:

LT: Taylor Decker
LG: Joe Dahl
C: Frank Ragnow
RG: Graham Glasgow
RT: Rick Wagner

This was the first time we’ve seen an entire practice with Dahl and Glasgow at the guard positions. Typically the pairings have been Kenny Wiggins with Glasgow and Dahl with Oday Aboushi. This could be a sign that Dahl is a serious contender for the starting left guard job, but there’s a different explanation that becomes apparent with the second team lineup:

LT: Andrew Donnal
LG: Beau Benzschawel
C: Luke Bowanko
RG: Oday Aboushi
RT: Kenny Wiggins

Wiggins took over the vacant tackle spot left from Crosby’s absence, which can’t be a good sign of the team’s confidence in their third-string tackles Ryan Pope and Matt Nelson. Taking Wiggins out of the guard position not only bumps Dahl to the starting unit, but gives Wisconsin UDFA Beau Benzschawel a shot with the second-team offense.

Of course, after the Lions’ nine-sack performance on Thursday night, a shakeup on the offensive line was due anyways.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let’s talk backup quarterbacks
With Matthew Stafford sidelined, it was the David Fales show for most of the day, and the results were not very encouraging. As we’ve seen all camp, Fales was slow reading defenses, held onto the ball too long and took unnecessary sacks.

His accuracy, too, left a lot to be desired. During one-on-one drills, Fales was so inaccurate that it appeared some receivers were frustrated after not getting the ball where they needed it to be.

As for Josh Johnson, he didn’t get a ton of reps. That’s understandable, of course, as he needs to be eased into the offense. What I did see was another strong-armed quarterback during warmups. However, when it came to 11-on-11s, he barely threw the ball down field. I charted him going 4-for-7 during the final few sets of full-team drills, but he only threw one ball more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. He gets a big incomplete from me. Though it is notable that he was one of the last players to leave the practice field, getting in a bunch of extra passes before heading inside.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kilgo move left one remaining spot on the 90-man roster and Stockton, who finished the 2018 season on the Lions practice squad and was most recently an AAF running back, filled the void.

Stockton is small in stature, only 5-9 and 201 pounds, but he ran a 4.45 40-yard dash as Texas Tech’s Pro Day ahead of the 2018 draft. In his eight games in the AAF, he had 43 carries for 233 yards and a touchdown (which you can see in the video above), while also catching all six passes thrown his way for 28 yards.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UDFA DL Strong has made a case to be considered for the final 53 so long as his play continues over these final 3 weeks (even against our starting lineup of O-Lineman.

Too bad he did absolutely nothing in the preseason game. I am thinking our O-line is regressing or just cant grasp Bevell's scheme. That would explain this.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well crap. I had a gif of that hit Savage took while with Houston but it isn't working.

He is not that good when he is clear headed. Never mind when his bell is rung.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meet Mike Ford's replacement:

Jamar Summers: What the Lions are getting in their new CB

I am not expecting the same results at this level but he is a nice depth addition. Hopefully we can clear out guys like Teez and Ford and other dead wood who did not capitalize on their opportunity.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Too bad he did absolutely nothing in the preseason game. I am thinking our O-line is regressing or just cant grasp Bevell's scheme. That would explain this.

I object to your shitty, unsubstantiated, prosecutorial demeanor. :nod:

He had (3) solo tackles :hope: so that is far from your claim, "He did absolutely nothing in the preseason game".

Patriots vs. Lions - Box Score - August 8, 2019 - ESPN

Lions Wire exclusive: Kevin Strong's path to his first NFL game

Game Day
Strong would see the field 53 times in his first game, 51 times on defense and two snaps on special teams. He would make three solo tackles in the game and while he felt he did a good job playing his role, he wasn’t satisfied.

“I think I did my role, but I could’ve done way more. I still have a lot to work on. I didn’t make as big of an impact as I wanted to but I just tried to do what I was taught and play my technique to the best of my ability.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 Lions to watch vs. the Texans

Kevin Strong
Strong has quickly become a fan-favorite, and as the undrafted rookie told Lions Wire exclusively earlier this week, he is doing everything he can to make an impression. The Lions front seven is deep, but only when everyone is healthy. Injuries to players like Da’Shawn Hand, Trey Flowers, Damon Harrison, and Mike Daniels has given guys like Strong a chance to show what they can do.

With Flowers and Harrison returning to practice, the Texans game may one of Strong’s last opportunities to prove against another team’s starters that he’s worthy of making the opening-day roster. He’s made the most of his opportunities so far and it wouldn’t surprise me if he does it again on Saturday.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Wire exclusive: Kevin Strong's path to his first NFL game

Enter the Lions
Strong received an invite to the Tropical Bowl and had his first official contact with the Lions front office, where they asked him a few questions in a round table discussion. The asked him a few more after his pro day, but for the most part, the two didn’t talk again until the NFL Draft.

One thing that likely helped his cause with the Lions was that their defensive line coach, Bo Davis, was Strong’s position coach at UTSA during his junior year — the season Strong identifies as his best.

Davis brought a great deal of knowledge about Strong to the Lions, and likely understood the rookie’s skill set and overall potential better than any coach in the NFL. At the conclusion of the NFL Draft, it didn’t take the Lions long to make Strong an offer and get him under contract.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Final verdict.

Kevin Strong Jr. makes the final 53 man roster.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia is in a make it or break it season.