• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bell's contract is rich enough to rise to a 3rd round comp. Not compared to the other contracts tossed around.

He might net a 4th, at best.

Noted...my angle was more on the Barron signing actually...I wasn't online much late afternoon so I didn't realize that happened until this morning.

There are some reports he might play ILB for PIT rather than S....but either way, I think that should take Burnett off the field/roster...No?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted...my angle was more on the Barron signing actually...I wasn't online much late afternoon so I didn't realize that happened until this morning.

There are some reports he might play ILB for PIT rather than S....but either way, I think that should take Burnett off the field/roster...No?
Yeah, he's a direct replacement for Burnett.

Burnett asked for his release because of safety/lb hybrid role the Steelers wanted him to play.

I would assume Barron is fine with it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's a direct replacement for Burnett.

Burnett asked for his release because of safety/lb hybrid role the Steelers wanted him to play.

I would assume Barron is fine with it.

I think largely because of the AB deal they are a bit skittish on dead money now. Whenever they're allowed (June 1 maybe) to spread part of the dead money hit over to 2020, we'll see Burnett released.

FWIW...I see Barron as a 3 down player, so no need for the hybrid S.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think largely because of the AB deal they are a bit skittish on dead money now. Whenever they're allowed (June 1 maybe) to spread part of the dead money hit over to 2020, we'll see Burnett released.

FWIW...I see Barron as a 3 down player, so no need for the hybrid S.
For 6 million a year, I think they do too.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Barron deal helps solve their issues covering TE’s and RB’s.

Also has anyone heard news on Dupree/Houston recently?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dupree's 5th year salary is fully guaranteed so he's getting all $9.2 mil no matter what happens. Both Ravens and the Bears are reporting they are going after Houston but nothing from the Steelers about it yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupree's 5th year salary is fully guaranteed so he's getting all $9.2 mil no matter what happens. Both Ravens and the Bears are reporting they are going after Houston but nothing from the Steelers about it yet.

Now it is.

I have to think PIT is out of the running now with Dupree locked in as you mentioned, but this is right up the Ravens alley, they will sign aging edge rushers in FA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think our best bet now is hoping Adeniyi has taken another step and they've actually found another diamond in the rough pass rusher.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it is.

I have to think PIT is out of the running now with Dupree locked in as you mentioned, but this is right up the Ravens alley, they will sign aging edge rushers in FA.

Yeah I think we are out of the Justin Houston sweepstakes. I hope he doesn't go to Baltimore. They can't get another solid FA signing. Houston isn't as good as he was about 4 years ago but he's still someone you don't want rushing at you twice a year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is official they tendered Dupree. Yeah Houston is not coming to Pittsburgh now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is official they tendered Dupree. Yeah Houston is not coming to Pittsburgh now.

IIRC the 17th, St Paddy's Day marked the 1st day of the NFL fiscal yr and contracts were effective on that date...I know Brown's roster bonus was due on the 17th as well.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steelers only hav like 8mill in cap left and need about 6.5 for rooks prolly little more since we currently have 10 picks, i expect a draft trade of some sort, dunno what round

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steelers only hav like 8mill in cap left and need about 6.5 for rooks prolly little more since we currently have 10 picks, i expect a draft trade of some sort, dunno what round
Extending Ben & cutting Burnett should free up more. Wonder why they aren't pushing Ben's extension? Thought it would have been done immediately after the O-lineman got their new contracts.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extending Ben & cutting Burnett should free up more. Wonder why they aren't pushing Ben's extension? Thought it would have been done immediately after the O-lineman got their new contracts.
Big money

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My board (Not including the ones we couldn't even trade up for):

Devin White, ILB
Brian Burns, OLB
Josh Allen, OLB
Devin Bush, ILB
T.J. Hockenson, TE
Jachai Polite, OLB
Nasir Adderley, S
Noah Fant, TE
Vosean Joseph, LB
Mack Wilson, ILB
Chase Winovich, OLB

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can look for Burnett's release June 1 or later...now way they carry him this year...not sure what the hold up was with Ben, but still fell fairly comfortable that will get done.

I can see them picking up maybe one more DE vet...mid level player, or a TE...I think they just had a TE in for a visit...James O’Shaughnessy.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, maybe they could try to appease Burnett, and stop using him as a hybrid (especially now with the new signing), and put him at SS only. And promise him an honest camp battle for starter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My board (Not including the ones we couldn't even trade up for):

Devin White, ILB
Brian Burns, OLB
Josh Allen, OLB
Devin Bush, ILB
T.J. Hockenson, TE
Jachai Polite, OLB
Nasir Adderley, S
Noah Fant, TE
Vosean Joseph, LB
Mack Wilson, ILB
Chase Winovich, OLB

If both Devins are off the board, I can see them looking really hard at Burns.

I'm still in the mode that Bush will be on the board at 20.

I've seen mock with White going as high as 5th to the Bucs, but that's awful high for an off the ball DEF player. Normally top 10 picks are QBs or players that effect/protect the QB, or are insane skill position players. I can see DET taking White at 8...the other teams 9-19...BUF, DEN, CIN, GB, MIA, ATL, WAS, CAR, NYG, MIN, TN.

No for sure...ATL (DT, Edge), MIA (QB, OL, WR), WAS (QB)

Most likely not...BUF (WR), DEN (QB, OL), GB (DL, Edge), NYG (Edge),

Maybe, but probably not, TN (WR) CIN (OL, MLB)

Of course we don't know how these teams are going to draft, but on the surface there's a decent chance that Bush is still on the board around 15-16, and from there it could be a bit dicey, but I like their chances.