• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go as far to call him solid AF, but solid to above-average maybe. IMO he's been declining. Not rapidly, but his bad tape is starting to show up more frequently. At 33 years old its not good to depend on him, but that's why they tendered Finney at $3m. Feels like another band-aid solution to prolong the transition yet again. Finney is more than ready to replace his current level of production.

Just not a fan of it when they have a viable solution in place to free up that cap space and use it elsewhere where they need it more. Basically they are tying up 2 starting cap salaries to 1 single position. Risky move but quality OL depth is a premium in this league.
i guess your last sentece is what makes me ok with it, basically

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers 2019 Offseason Recap:
  • Fired Joey Porter. Necessary subtraction we can all agree.
  • Fired James Saxon for no good reason at all
  • Lost Mike Munchak in parallel move.
  • Hired a former Cincy Bunghole DC as a defensive assistant to the secondary since Tom Bradley sucks a bag of dicks.
  • Decided to stick with Keith Butler. Yeehaw.
  • Traded Antonio Brown for a 3rd Rd pick & a fluff 5th Rder, and still have to eat $21m in dead cap.
  • About to let Le'Veon Bell walk, expecting a 3rd Rd comp pick in 2020.

On the surface... This team has gotten markedly worse and continues to get worse each month. I'm going to drink my inner-optimist into submission.

• Extending Maurkice Pouncey for 3 years.
  • Signing Ramon Foster to new deal.
  • Trading Gilbert for a 6th Rd pick.
Lost amongst my angst were these moves. Pouncey was necessary with just 1 yr remaining. Glad they didn't break the bank to retain Foster, but I would have been happier letting him walk & using that $4m cap space elsewhere. They just tendered Finney at ~$3m, so I don't know why they wanted to keep Foster. It's a good move for OL depth, but it comes at the cost of making any relevant moves in FA. Guess it keeps Ben happy which is important. Trading Gil for nothing more than a 6th Rd pick was a neutral move IMO. Its getting something in return for most likely cutting him anyways is a good strategy, but a 6th Rd pick isn't anything to marvel over. Ignore the pick and consider the cap room it saves. That's something more valuable to them now.

I am struggling to see how we got any better this offseason. Let me explain my thought process on this offseason.

• I get that we've removed the cancers from the locker room, but does that really change the culture in the locker room? Because I don't think it does. We still have the same coaches, the same owners, the same front office and the same mindset when it comes to drafting.
  • I agree with you on Finney. I don't like the Foster signing, I think $4 mil a year for a, what will be an 11 year vet, is too much, but our O-Line has been really good so I do see that there is no need to change anything there.
  • Gilbert for a 6th does nothing for us aside from dropping dead weight. 6th round pick won't really mean anything for us.
  • The moves we made in the coaching staff baffle me to say the least. I completely understand Joey Porter and we didn't really have a chance keeping Munchak. But the Saxon firing, adding a Cincy DC as an assistant, keeping Keith Butler, not changing our scouting team and keeping our Special Teams Coordinator are horrible decisions.
  • We are losing Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell and getting back 2 3rds and a 5th. That is just...fucking ridiculous to me. I get their attitudes were shit, they were cancers in the locker room. But the last 4 years, all that talent, all that offensive firepower...and in 2019, all we will have to show for it are 3 mid-late draft picks. That's a tough one to swallow for me. Good riddance but it's gonna leave a sour taste in my mouth until we see how 2019 pans out for the team.
I guess now we can look towards the draft. I hope that the front office is clear on what we need and who the best players are at those positions in need. We have 10 draft picks, the most we've had since 2010. Funny stat, 3 of those picks are from Oakland through the trade for AB and Bryant. We were able to get Pouncey, Sanders, Dwyer and AB out of that draft. I'm excited for the # of picks we have, but I'm also hesitant because we are NOT the best at drafting, especially in the first round the last 6 years. Dupree isn't preforming like a 1st rounder, Burns is terrible, Jarvis Jones isn't even in the league anymore and in my opinion, the jury is still out on Edmunds. Watt was a great pick up and Shazier was a great LB til his injury. Those are the only two first rounders to be proud of out of the last 6 years. This draft needs to be spot on correct for this team otherwise we are gonna be in for another long year.

If we get a 3rd for Bell, we would have 3 3rd round picks and essentially 5 draft picks in at least the top 100 picks. Or...my favorite option...we could use those picks as trade bait to maybe get another 2nd or another late 1st. I still wish we would trade up into the top 10-15 but I might as well talk to the brick wall behind me before starting that conversation again lol.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just gonna put this out there as well:

Golden Tate, traded for a 3rd.
Amari Cooper, traded for a 1st.

I get AB really ruined his value by talking shit about the Steelers, but is a 3rd and 5th really the best we could get for him?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just gonna put this out there as well:

Golden Tate, traded for a 3rd.
Amari Cooper, traded for a 1st.

I get AB really ruined his value by talking shit about the Steelers, but is a 3rd and 5th really the best we could get for him?
yep, since he was nixing deals, a locker room cancer, a social media disaster, and demanded guaranteed new money

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, since he was nixing deals, a locker room cancer, a social media disaster, and demanded guaranteed new money

I wonder what the Bills were offering for him. Is Oakland now the place were Pittsburgh WRs go to die? lol

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking so, but brown can be mr big in vegass

As long as Carr can throw it to him lol. Carr looked rough last year but that's also due to him not having a real O-line to block for him. Sacked 51 times last year, which is more sacks than the previous 2 seasons combined.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst year as a steeler fan, easily.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst year as a steeler fan, easily.

Mine too. But don't say that too loudly or you'll have the old time Steelers fans tell you how hard they had it back in the day and how we have it easy lol. This has honestly been a rough 2 year stretch as a Steelers fan.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really sucks they got our 2nd best wr for so little.

Again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go as far to call him solid AF, but solid to above-average maybe. IMO he's been declining. Not rapidly, but his bad tape is starting to show up more frequently. At 33 years old its not good to depend on him, but that's why they tendered Finney at $3m. Feels like another band-aid solution to prolong the transition yet again. Finney is more than ready to replace his current level of production.

Just not a fan of it when they have a viable solution in place to free up that cap space and use it elsewhere where they need it more. Basically they are tying up 2 starting cap salaries to 1 single position. Risky move but quality OL depth is a premium in this league.

More Ben influence...dictating personnel moves imo.

I kinda don't blame them for not jettisoning both Gilbert and Foster...I've seen that turnover in ATL with terrible results, but they didn't not have a Finney waiting.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am struggling to see how we got any better this offseason. Let me explain my thought process on this offseason.

• I get that we've removed the cancers from the locker room, but does that really change the culture in the locker room? Because I don't think it does. We still have the same coaches, the same owners, the same front office and the same mindset when it comes to drafting.
  • I agree with you on Finney. I don't like the Foster signing, I think $4 mil a year for a, what will be an 11 year vet, is too much, but our O-Line has been really good so I do see that there is no need to change anything there.
  • Gilbert for a 6th does nothing for us aside from dropping dead weight. 6th round pick won't really mean anything for us.
  • The moves we made in the coaching staff baffle me to say the least. I completely understand Joey Porter and we didn't really have a chance keeping Munchak. But the Saxon firing, adding a Cincy DC as an assistant, keeping Keith Butler, not changing our scouting team and keeping our Special Teams Coordinator are horrible decisions.
  • We are losing Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell and getting back 2 3rds and a 5th. That is just...fucking ridiculous to me. I get their attitudes were shit, they were cancers in the locker room. But the last 4 years, all that talent, all that offensive firepower...and in 2019, all we will have to show for it are 3 mid-late draft picks. That's a tough one to swallow for me. Good riddance but it's gonna leave a sour taste in my mouth until we see how 2019 pans out for the team.
I guess now we can look towards the draft. I hope that the front office is clear on what we need and who the best players are at those positions in need. We have 10 draft picks, the most we've had since 2010. Funny stat, 3 of those picks are from Oakland through the trade for AB and Bryant. We were able to get Pouncey, Sanders, Dwyer and AB out of that draft. I'm excited for the # of picks we have, but I'm also hesitant because we are NOT the best at drafting, especially in the first round the last 6 years. Dupree isn't preforming like a 1st rounder, Burns is terrible, Jarvis Jones isn't even in the league anymore and in my opinion, the jury is still out on Edmunds. Watt was a great pick up and Shazier was a great LB til his injury. Those are the only two first rounders to be proud of out of the last 6 years. This draft needs to be spot on correct for this team otherwise we are gonna be in for another long year.

If we get a 3rd for Bell, we would have 3 3rd round picks and essentially 5 draft picks in at least the top 100 picks. Or...my favorite option...we could use those picks as trade bait to maybe get another 2nd or another late 1st. I still wish we would trade up into the top 10-15 but I might as well talk to the brick wall behind me before starting that conversation again lol.

Overview...right now, there's not a whole lot to be happy about in Steeler Nation.

But, the games will still be played.

Bell...having sat out all season, $$$$ is his primary concern so look for him to land with the team willing to give him the best contract...Jets are still the team I think he will end up with as early as the 1st day of FA...with the Brown deal sucking $20 mil in cap space out, we can feel safe that PIT is not going to spend much in FA and should be awarded a 2020 3rd round compensation.

Brown...they just flatout lost here. There have been a ton of opinions on this one for sure. Ranging from the Steelers got punked by the Raiders, to the FO is soft and incompetent and a lot more in between.

I'm not going to rehash that here, but the end result is they now have #1/20, 2/52, 3/66, 3/84, so 4 picks in the top 100 in this draft. I'm not overly concerned about losing Brown and we've already seen that RB is still effective, but now w/o both of their stars, Fichtner will have to be more creative and use a wider assortment of players.

They will probably use all 4 of those picks per norm, but I wonder what 20, 66, 84 can return is Colbert did get frisky?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foster is a vocal team leader (He's a glue type guy), and he is a solid player. His play is above board. He doesn't cause trouble. He's a positive and happy guy. Exactly the kind of player we need to keep around.
And his contract is still very economical for the team.

I approve of all three OL moves.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not afraid of going forward without both Bell and Brown.

I know they can survive, and thrive. Even be a better team. As good as Brown IS, he also brings baggage on the field. I think Ben will be a more efficient QB and throw less interceptions without having to worry about feeding the ego.

I believe we have two great WR's here next year, and James Washington will show he deserved his draft slot. He started off rough, but he's a young kid. He grew up a lot towards the end of last season.

I firmly believe in the end that AB will regret what he just did.

I'm pissed that they gave him away, and all that cap space he still holds up, for so little. That's all. The 3rd round pick isn't worth the precedent that he set with 3 years left on his deal.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Circus culture... No the locker-room culture won't change much in theory since the coaches that allow the circus to grow are still here, but with more younger players in the room they may or may not grow poisonous ala AB/Bell for at least 2-3 more years when big contracts factor in (should they earn them). So hopefully there is a relief period that will occur. In that timeframe we should all pray that more blue-collar vets emerge and get these younger fuckheads in line. But even that will only go so far when the coaches & Steelers brass are feeding the fat egos and allowing them to do as they please. We can only hope that before too much damage is done that Tomlin is long gone. Or maybe, just maybe... Everyone is learning from the AB/Bell drama and will avoid walking the same paths. Who knows. Money always changes things. And in this day & age that breeds immaturity & carelessness... The future is a scary sonbitch. If I were Colbert/Kahn, I'd be very afraid of EVERY single dollar that is "guaranteed" in any of the contracts offered from here on out. At least until the CBA & NFLPA sit down once more to rehash more guidelines. Looking at how AB was able to bend the Steelers over while under contract, that sort of stuff shouldn't be possible. But here we are.

OL... Foster isn't being overpaid for the level of production he gives. I have more of a problem with the tying up of 2 starting cap salaries to 1 position, than I do to how much he is being paid. But again, OL depth is a premium. So I can understand it even if I would have done differently. Especially with Feiler & now Chuks proving capable. I know Hawkins is a wildcard, but given the fact that he is pulling a Senquez-Golson, there's no reason to count on him, at any point in the offseason decision-making, ever.

Coaches... Staff definitely got worse. I think it will be readily apparent in the regular season. My guess is they will stumble out the gate like they always do. Get slapped around by some decent teams, and maybe even pull a classic Tomlin trap game loss that we've grown accustomed to. If Art II really wants to get the most out of what little Ben has left, then he shouldn't be waiting to pull the trigger on Tomlin/Butler if things go south early. But judging by how badly Art II has performed in just 2 years removed from Dan's passing, I'd bet the farm that nothing will change until 2020. It's only going to get darker before the light.

btw that 3rd Rd comp pick for losing Bell won't happen until 2020. So disregard it for this year.
Overview...right now, there's not a whole lot to be happy about in Steeler Nation.

But, the games will still be played.

Bell...having sat out all season, $$$$ is his primary concern so look for him to land with the team willing to give him the best contract...Jets are still the team I think he will end up with as early as the 1st day of FA...with the Brown deal sucking $20 mil in cap space out, we can feel safe that PIT is not going to spend much in FA and should be awarded a 2020 3rd round compensation.

Brown...they just flatout lost here. There have been a ton of opinions on this one for sure. Ranging from the Steelers got punked by the Raiders, to the FO is soft and incompetent and a lot more in between.

I'm not going to rehash that here, but the end result is they now have #1/20, 2/52, 3/66, 3/84, so 4 picks in the top 100 in this draft. I'm not overly concerned about losing Brown and we've already seen that RB is still effective, but now w/o both of their stars, Fichtner will have to be more creative and use a wider assortment of players.

They will probably use all 4 of those picks per norm, but I wonder what 20, 66, 84 can return is Colbert did get frisky?
I don't think they have the ammo to move up into the top 10-15 in the 1st, but a higher 2nd should be on the table. I'd give up one of those 3rd Rders if the right trade-up for the right player is available. They need impact players now, not raw/developmental type guys that Tomlin wets his pants over. They cannot afford to miss on their top 3 Rds. Tall order for sure, but with so many holes to fill in just a 1-2 year window... Desperate times I tell ya.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not looking forward to the upcoming season. However, I do think things will get much better in 2020. This season might be rough, but the Steelers can go into the following season with a new head coach and some better draft picks. Even if we have to deal with one pretty bad season in order to truly get that much needed turnaround, it will be well worth it. Going to have to build this thing up again.