• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not tagging Bell will give them a nice chunk of cap to play with. Not getting my hopes up though. I’m just going to expect the usual depth-type acquisitions where we try & find reason to believe they are a capable starter. Yeehaw!

Rinse & repeat

Word is about $30 mil is what they will have to work with when they make some cuts (Burnett). Draft class is about $6 mil, internal FAs (Foster, JJ, Alualu, etc.)...they will probably have a good $15 mil or so to go after a proven CB, ILB, or both.

I think there is enough pressure in the building that they will be active in FA, and maybe even more aggressive with the draft...but impact players?

We shall see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is about $30 mil is what they will have to work with when they make some cuts (Burnett). Draft class is about $6 mil, internal FAs (Foster, JJ, Alualu, etc.)...they will probably have a good $15 mil or so to go after a proven CB, ILB, or both.

I think there is enough pressure in the building that they will be active in FA, and maybe even more aggressive with the draft...but impact players?

We shall see.
That $30mil number is based on 38/53 players under contract (excluding their FAs).

As we know the FAs that’s we’ve grown accustomed to in the past decade haven’t done much at all. I think it’s time Colbert makes a more flashy move to shore up the defense before their window is slammed shut. Just my opinion.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That $30mil number is based on 38/53 players under contract (excluding their FAs).

As we know the FAs that’s we’ve grown accustomed to in the past decade haven’t done much at all. I think it’s time Colbert makes a more flashy move to shore up the defense before their window is slammed shut. Just my opinion.
There’s rumors we may

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We shall see.
I sure hope so. After watching what they did with the coaching staff and not making any real changes because "that's how we've always done it," I'm still skeptical about their FA approach, however.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately last year was the year they should have been aggressive. Think the window isn't closed just yet though if they bring in some quality players. Guys like Mathieu or even a Golden Tate (if/when Brown is moved) would be a good start.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I applaud your thoughts here, but in this era, with social media etc, you'd have more trouble in the locker room than it's worth.

PIT is far better off moving on and actually using this asset to better the team rather than trying to show the player whose in control. That would work in the 60s-70s maybe,,,not now imo.
Yeeeeepppp.

Not a bad idea in theory, but in this day and age that blowing up and becoming a huge black cloud over the team would not be a surprise, especially with players telling reporters they just wish this saga was over.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you're not giving it enough thought. the idea is that, this core of skill players hasn't helped the team to win jack, so why not move on and see what might develop with new skill position players? perfectly valid take, in my opinion.
I hate being told how because this team won a bunch of Super Bowls in the Ford/Carter administrations that we're just supposed to act fine and content with that core not winning anything, and if you say it's not dandy you're just spoiled. At this point, I'm just ready to call this huge disappointment and move on. I mean for FFS, the greatest offense in team history made as many AFCCGs as Blake fucking Bortles, and even his team did better in their conference title game!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Noted...that makes the Dupree deal even more mind boggling.

IMO...it's now or never for this regime...players and coaches...2 yr window at best. Whatever cap cash they have, needs to be spent wisely. Sinking a lot of money into Foster is not wisely imo.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately last year was the year they should have been aggressive. Think the window isn't closed just yet though if they bring in some quality players. Guys like Mathieu or even a Golden Tate (if/when Brown is moved) would be a good start.
Yep. But but but Bostic & Burnett... Those were splashy acquisitions right?

Pffffffft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted...that makes the Dupree deal even more mind boggling.

IMO...it's now or never for this regime...players and coaches...2 yr window at best. Whatever cap cash they have, needs to be spent wisely. Sinking a lot of money into Foster is not wisely imo.
I’ll probably go back & forth on this, because of the money implications vs value to the team, but at this point I’d rather let Foster & Dupree walk and use that money in FA. Too much money involved just to keep an average OLB & resign an aged vet O-lineman (glue guy). But Butler will want to keep Dupree, and a new O-line coach will probably not want to break the mold just yet. Ben’s already on record saying he won’t sign a new deal until his goons are paid.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny thing is dupree has us over a barrell, his contract is absurd, for him, but if we cut him theres not much to replace him

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll probably go back & forth on this, because of the money implications vs value to the team, but at this point I’d rather let Foster & Dupree walk and use that money in FA. Too much money involved just to keep an average OLB & resign an aged vet O-lineman (glue guy). But Butler will want to keep Dupree, and a new O-line coach will probably not want to break the mold just yet. Ben’s already on record saying he won’t sign a new deal until his goons are paid.

This is the main problem right here in bold. I can see Ben stepping up for Foster...but Gilbert has not played starter caliber snaps for 2 seasons now...2016 was the last season he started/played more than 10 games. That money should be going to a younger player that will actually suit up and play. Colbert/Tomlin should be standing their ground...but they will most likely give Ben what he wants and end up with mid level FAs again.

Dupree...I think we called it LY...the fact that Art II is even saying they think he's still developing (hasn't peaked) they are going to let him play out this 5th yr.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny thing is dupree has us over a barrell, his contract is absurd, for him, but if we cut him theres not much to replace him

I think they know he's a better edge rusher, they are simply scared to make the move to Adeniyi due to lack of snaps, experience.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the main problem right here in bold. I can see Ben stepping up for Foster...but Gilbert has not played starter caliber snaps for 2 seasons now...2016 was the last season he started/played more than 10 games. That money should be going to a younger player that will actually suit up and play. Colbert/Tomlin should be standing their ground...but they will most likely give Ben what he wants and end up with mid level FAs again.

Dupree...I think we called it LY...the fact that Art II is even saying they think he's still developing (hasn't peaked) they are going to let him play out this 5th yr.
That’s what I’m afraid of as well. Ben making a big to-do about getting Foster & Gil back. If they do, it better be very cheap vet 1-2yr deals or something like that.

Dupree... yea I was disappointed hearing that. I think they get too enamored with how good Dupree looks in camps. He typically shows up on practice reports as either dominant or overall having great camps. But year after year, that optimism dwindles. All that athleticism yet no killer instinct. I’ve never seen an edge defender try so hard to avoid contact on the edge.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what I’m afraid of as well. Ben making a big to-do about getting Foster & Gil back. If they do, it better be very cheap vet 1-2yr deals or something like that.

Dupree... yea I was disappointed hearing that. I think they get too enamored with how good Dupree looks in camps. He typically shows up on practice reports as either dominant or overall having great camps. But year after year, that optimism dwindles. All that athleticism yet no killer instinct. I’ve never seen an edge defender try so hard to avoid contact on the edge.

Gilbert is the big problem imo….on his last yr...$6.6 cap hit iirc...a release would save about $4 mil. Between him and Burnett, that's almost $10 mil saved. On Foster...if he gets a 5 or 6 mil per offer from another team, they need to let him take that deal.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kickers
Gostkowski
bryant
gould
bailey
dawson

some of the best every available

punters

ryan allen'?
the kid on the local highschool team?
one of them aussie dudes

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan: 2019 Steelers Mock Draft: Version 1.0 – Pre-Scouting Combine - Steelers Depot

Dave Bryan's 1st mock (top 5 picks)

1.20...Polite, OLB, FL
2.??...Amani Orwariye, CB, Penn St.
2.52...Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, FL
3.83...Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St
4.122...Terrill Hanks, ILB, New Mex St.

Hard to really grade a mock when you don't know who was left on the board, but if they land a top 10 second rd pick for Brown, I would be okay with it. Not sure about 4th round for a ILB, or S in the 2nd rd, but generally speaking, not a terrible mock.