• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell with a trade.

I kinda want to see them go scorched earth on the motherfucker.

Refuse to trade him, and when he sits out, fine him and suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team, and file suit on him to get back his signing bonus pro-ration for failure to uphold his end of the contract. Let him rot. You know he won't be up to any good while he's not playing football. He'll end up in jail with nothing to do, freaking out about losing out on his prime years and prime money making opportunities.

This is two stars now who think they can strong arm the Steelers. Make Antonio Brown a cautionary tale.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
were kinda stuck, we gotta move him soon dont wee, to be able to spread out his cap hit

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell with a trade.

I kinda want to see them go scorched earth on the motherfucker.

Refuse to trade him, and when he sits out, fine him and suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team, and file suit on him to get back his signing bonus pro-ration for failure to uphold his end of the contract. Let him rot. You know he won't be up to any good while he's not playing football. He'll end up in jail with nothing to do, freaking out about losing out on his prime years and prime money making opportunities.

This is two stars now who think they can strong arm the Steelers. Make Antonio Brown a cautionary tale.

lol...I like your way of thinking, but that might make it more difficult to attract FAs...actually I'm pretty sure it will.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
were kinda stuck, we gotta move him soon dont wee, to be able to spread out his cap hit

iirc they don't get to spread out reconstruction bonuses, I think this will be a one time dead money hit.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...I like your way of thinking, but that might make it more difficult to attract FAs...actually I'm pretty sure it will.
I'm ok with repelling that kind of player.

The Steelers own him for 3 more years. He signed a contract. He can throw a hissy about it, or he can buck up and play ball like he's getting paid to.

This is a perfect circumstance to make an example about going a NEW WAY, and broadcast it to the world. Deny him to make a flashy entrance at camp in a Helicopter. Don't give anyone vet days off. Expect him to show up for required events, camp, practices. Don't treat him any differently than other players. Same standards. But he's the one that is likely to chaffe at it, and act up. So he's the one who gets the stick.

He doesn't do that, punish him. Ignore any calls to trade him. Don't speak about it to him or the media after making an initial statement of "He won't be traded, we expect Antonio Brown to play out the contract he signed." He acts up, suspend him, and make him stay home for a few weeks.

Under no circumstances should he get his way on this. This is a golden opportunity to get this team back.

AB, you want three years of no stats? No problem!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with repelling that kind of player.

The Steelers own him for 3 more years. He signed a contract. He can throw a hissy about it, or he can buck up and play ball like he's getting paid to.

This is a perfect circumstance to make an example about going a NEW WAY, and broadcast it to the world. Deny him to make a flashy entrance at camp in a Helicopter. Don't give anyone vet days off. Expect him to show up for required events, camp, practices. Don't treat him any differently than other players. Same standards. But he's the one that is likely to chaffe at it, and act up. So he's the one who gets the stick.

He doesn't do that, punish him. Ignore any calls to trade him. Don't speak about it to him or the media after making an initial statement of "He won't be traded, we expect Antonio Brown to play out the contract he signed." He acts up, suspend him, and make him stay home for a few weeks.

Under no circumstances should he get his way on this. This is a golden opportunity to get this team back.

AB, you want three years of no stats? No problem!

Again, I applaud your thoughts here, but in this era, with social media etc, you'd have more trouble in the locker room than it's worth.

PIT is far better off moving on and actually using this asset to better the team rather than trying to show the player whose in control. That would work in the 60s-70s maybe,,,not now imo.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't geared towards anyone here because I haven't seen this argument being delivered anywhere on this forum, but I need to get this off my chest because I'm seeing this all over Facebook groups that I'm in.

I keep seeing the same argument from people who are okay with AB going and those who were okay with Bell going. "They never brought us any rings anyway."

I fucking hate this argument. I believe that it is so fucking stupid. Are these people saying that Santonio Holmes is a better WR than Antonio Brown because he was a Steeler when we last won a Super Bowl? Are these people saying that Willie Parker is a better RB than Le'Veon Bell because he was a Steeler when we last won a Super Bowl? With that argument, why don't we just let everyone who is on the team right now that wasn't on the 2005 and 2008 team just walk out the door? Using the thought process behind that argument, everyone who's been drafted since 2009 hasn't brought us a Super Bowl so get rid of them. It's such a stupid argument that most people use because there is really no reason for us Steelers fans to be mad at AB aside from his attitude problem.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't geared towards anyone here because I haven't seen this argument being delivered anywhere on this forum, but I need to get this off my chest because I'm seeing this all over Facebook groups that I'm in.

I keep seeing the same argument from people who are okay with AB going and those who were okay with Bell going. "They never brought us any rings anyway."

I fucking hate this argument. I believe that it is so fucking stupid. Are these people saying that Santonio Holmes is a better WR than Antonio Brown because he was a Steeler when we last won a Super Bowl? Are these people saying that Willie Parker is a better RB than Le'Veon Bell because he was a Steeler when we last won a Super Bowl? With that argument, why don't we just let everyone who is on the team right now that wasn't on the 2005 and 2008 team just walk out the door? Using the thought process behind that argument, everyone who's been drafted since 2009 hasn't brought us a Super Bowl so get rid of them. It's such a stupid argument that most people use because there is really no reason for us Steelers fans to be mad at AB aside from his attitude problem.
I think the point is they are cancers. They tear the locker room
Apart. Are they talented yes. Do they make the team better, questionable. Is their cancerous ways worth it, no, we weren’t winning with them
Anyways. So get rid of them reboot, bulk up the d, get the locker room back, move on.

That’s how I view that argument. Feel free to disagree

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point is they are cancers. They tear the locker room
Apart. Are they talented yes. Do they make the team better, questionable. Is their cancerous ways worth it, no, we weren’t winning with them
Anyways. So get rid of them reboot, bulk up the d, get the locker room back, move on.

That’s how I view that argument. Feel free to disagree

I just think it's a stupid argument to place on AB and Bell. We haven't won with anyone the last 10 years. Yeah, their attitudes sucked but look at the culture of this team right now. It's gotta change from the top down. AB and Bell are just products of what the problem really is.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it's a stupid argument to place on AB and Bell. We haven't won with anyone the last 10 years. Yeah, their attitudes sucked but look at the culture of this team right now. It's gotta change from the top down. AB and Bell are just products of what the problem really is.
AGREE, to an extent. That locker room right now is that way in large part because of those two. THey are the ring leaders. Yes we havent won with anyone in 10 years, that cant be argued. It has to change all over. No you cant' replace AB production. No you really cant replace Lev Bell Production, we kinda did, kinda didnt. I read some advanced metrics the other day that may have changed my mind slightly.

Regardless, If you want the locker room back, they absolutely have to go.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGREE, to an extent. That locker room right now is that way in large part because of those two. THey are the ring leaders. Yes we havent won with anyone in 10 years, that cant be argued. It has to change all over. No you cant' replace AB production. No you really cant replace Lev Bell Production, we kinda did, kinda didnt. I read some advanced metrics the other day that may have changed my mind slightly.

Regardless, If you want the locker room back, they absolutely have to go.

I agree that they have to go for the betterment of the team as a whole, I just don't agree with or respect the whole "well they didn't give us rings anyway to good riddance" arguments.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJ Goodson, ILB giants could be a player to take a peek at.

theres alot we could look at , but cant afford

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJ Goodson, ILB giants could be a player to take a peek at.

theres alot we could look at , but cant afford
Can't afford? The space they have right now is the most they have had in decades. They are projected to be around $28m in cap space. And thats with AB's contract. Putting a tag on Bell would eat up $10-14m of that though. But that still gives them a lot of options.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't afford? The space they have right now is the most they have had in decades. They are projected to be around $28m in cap space. And thats with AB's contract. Putting a tag on Bell would eat up $10-14m of that though. But that still gives them a lot of options.
I didn’t think we had that much

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t think we had that much
Well I hadn't looked at the overthecap number myself, but I read it from Ed Bouchette...

Ed Bouchette: Trading Antonio Brown would not kill the Steelers' salary cap

They have that Bell money and cap space back because he skipped the 2018 season, but they really are not awash in cap space. Despite the Bell situation and an increase in the NFL’s salary cap by at least $10 million, the Steelers are projected to have $28.6 million in space by Overthecap.com. But that number counts just 38 players under contract.

Didn't realize that only accounted for 38/53 contracts. So that number gets even smaller with both the tag & rookie contracts. A new deal for Ben would give them some room.