• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watch some shitty team win the ws
Could happen, but didn't the Dodgers win in the strike shortened 1981 season after "winning" one half of the season with something like a 32-28 record? Been a while, but I don't recall much ridicule for them at the time.

I guess something better than nothing....but understand if someone thinks otherwise.

all that said, shame on both if money was what kept them from getting more games in if NFL and NBA go on - as those would seem to be worse for the spread of Covid.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is far riskier in a city with high Covid rates. Which has been my point all along.
not if they stay in the bubble, and they have given them enough amenities to make them less likely to want to leave. Plus, if they leave they cannot play, hurting themselves and their team....which has been my point all along.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look man, I get the risk is low for young healthy people. But it is risk.

I think it Mike Golic talking about college football yesterday who said this. If 1 young athlete dies from this virus because they returned to play in unsafe conditions, that is too many.

Obviously the NBA is taking precautions that football can’t. But there are very valid reasons to be concerned about restarting the NBA and other sports.
No disagreement about the 1 death, but could counter by saying if they don't play that person who died could instead die because he contracted the virus at a concert, store, amusement park, etc.

But, sure, there are valid concerns. as I think someone else said (@Stakesarehigh maybe?) it's time to treat sports like other aspects of life perhaps?

It sounds like Stakes works in an environment that could be risky if proper precautions were not taken, yet they are all going into work again (if not sick). Also sounds like infections and deaths have been either minimal for his company or even nonexistent.

does that mean the same will be true for NBA and/or NFL? Nope...but doesn't mean it couldn't be.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't they just hire the the ringmaster from Barnum & Bailey since the Brickabockers are a circus?

Oh man I got it...

Donald Trump. Dude will be unemployed soon.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement about the 1 death, but could counter by saying if they don't play that person who died could instead die because he contracted the virus at a concert, store, amusement park, etc.

But, sure, there are valid concerns. as I think someone else said (@Stakesarehigh maybe?) it's time to treat sports like other aspects of life perhaps?

It sounds like Stakes works in an environment that could be risky if proper precautions were not taken, yet they are all going into work again (if not sick). Also sounds like infections and deaths have been either minimal for his company or even nonexistent.

does that mean the same will be true for NBA and/or NFL? Nope...but doesn't mean it couldn't be.

That's for me the offense I take....we all take these risks....we all have older family and friends that could die or get sick. We all make these decisions. We've all been on lock down. Many of us have taken financial hits.

So for the love of God don't approach this like your situation is unique. It's not. We are all in this together. The NBA by in large seems to be unified now that kyries bullshit has not taken hold. But the mlb has lost a fan in me. I may still watch but I will never forget that they took this opportunity to haggle like this. Baseball will now drop below soccer for me.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's for me the offense I take....we all take these risks....we all have older family and friends that could die or get sick. We all make these decisions. We've all been on lock down. Many of us have taken financial hits.

So for the love of God don't approach this like your situation is unique. It's not. We are all in this together. The NBA by in large seems to be unified now that kyries bullshit has not taken hold. But the mlb has lost a fan in me. I may still watch but I will never forget that they took this opportunity to haggle like this. Baseball will now drop below soccer for me.
Unreal MLB did not find a way to get back on the field well before the NBA (on the court). Or at least have a plan to get back on.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not if they stay in the bubble, and they have given them enough amenities to make them less likely to want to leave. Plus, if they leave they cannot play, hurting themselves and their team....which has been my point all along.

You do realize that the staff doesn’t stay in the bubble, right?

So it does matter.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't tell that to current player Trevor Bauer who blames players and owners.

They both deserve blame for the mess as a whole.

The owners deserve the blame for why the season is so short. Some owners reportedly didn’t want to play at all. Which defeats the purpose of owning a team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that the staff doesn’t stay in the bubble, right?

So it does matter.
I do realize this was said....but I also realize they are not idiots and this could and probably will change.

They are going to go through all the precautions but let some kid making their food or cleaning their rooms leave and hang out in crowds so he/she could come back and infect the players?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both deserve blame for the mess as a whole.

The owners deserve the blame for why the season is so short. Some owners reportedly didn’t want to play at all. Which defeats the purpose of owning a team.
The owners did not want to play if they lost more money playing than not playing (by having to pay full salaries and potentially losing the playoffs. the big moneymaker with no fans in stands). Cannot blame them for wanting to negotiate something better for them (which they did).

agree owners to blame for why season so short. and I can understand their POV on that...though refusing to go beyond 9/27 seems a little much on their part. Really seemed like a situation that was close enough to come to an agreement. Owners want 60, players 70. Couldn't even meet in middle at 65?

and one reason maybe they couldn't is players want to be able to say owners unilaterally made the decision to use it against them in next CBA negotiations.

You nailed it with first comment...both deserve blame (neither deserves credit).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do realize this was said....but I also realize they are not idiots and this could and probably will change.

They are going to go through all the precautions but let some kid making their food or cleaning their rooms leave and hang out in crowds so he/she could come back and infect the players?

Yes. That is exactly what is going to happen and has been my main issue with the plan from the start. Glad you are finally catching on.

There are literally hundreds of staff that will be catering/serving the players. Those people have families and the NBA has not expressed any intention of putting these people up inside the bubble. They could, and probably should pay the extra money to make that happen. But that is not the reality of the plan.

So like I have said from the very beginning, it absolutely matters where they put the bubble because there will be hundreds of people going in and out of it every single day.

If all staff were actually kept from leaving the bubble too, then it really wouldn’t matter. But again, that is not how it will work.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners did not want to play if they lost more money playing than not playing (by having to pay full salaries and potentially losing the playoffs. the big moneymaker with no fans in stands). Cannot blame them for wanting to negotiate something better for them (which they did).

agree owners to blame for why season so short. and I can understand their POV on that...though refusing to go beyond 9/27 seems a little much on their part. Really seemed like a situation that was close enough to come to an agreement. Owners want 60, players 70. Couldn't even meet in middle at 65?

and one reason maybe they couldn't is players want to be able to say owners unilaterally made the decision to use it against them in next CBA negotiations.

You nailed it with first comment...both deserve blame (neither deserves credit).

The players should a lot more willingness to be flexible though. A compromise of 65 is a hell of a lot closer to what the owners wanted than what the players wanted. And they wouldn’t even do that.