• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you can probably guess, I take issue with the "i'm not sure if they're any better". That's garbage IMO. You can argue about how much better they are, but they are clearly better.

Out: Macdonald, Lehtera, Weiss, Varone, Knight, Gudas, Simmonds, Hartman, Bailey
In: Hayes, Niskanen, Braun, Pitlick

In terms of personnel, you replaced

Lehtera/Varone/Knight --> Hayes - This is a massive upgrade. Maybe it's not a 'put them over the top' move. But it's a huge upgrade.

MacDonald --> Braun - At worst, this is a push.

Gudas --> Niskanen - Niskanen played 25 minutes a night on a cup winning team a year ago. This is a big upgrade too.
Simmonds/Hartman/Bailey/Weiss --> Pitlick - Simmonds at his best, this is a decent sized downgrade. But Pitlick is better than the rest of those guys. And was only 18 points off Simmonds' pace last year.
You also have to factor in young guys gaining experience. Braun is a huge upgrade over AMac....

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else starting to get really annoyed that TK and Provorov aren't signed?
I don't want to hear that Fletcher is not concerned. I don't want to hear about the other RFA's. I don't care about them....I care about the Flyers and why aren't they moving heaven, earth and anything in between to have the entire team signed, sealed and delivered.

Sorry...I guess I have been holding that in a bit too long.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else starting to get really annoyed that TK and Provorov aren't signed?
I don't want to hear that Fletcher is not concerned. I don't want to hear about the other RFA's. I don't care about them....I care about the Flyers and why aren't they moving heaven, earth and anything in between to have the entire team signed, sealed and delivered.

Well the problem I think is one of them is going to have to do a one year deal until more funds become available, I think their just trying to figure out what works best.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the problem I think is one of them is going to have to do a one year deal until more funds become available, I think their just trying to figure out what works best.
What happens if the are both unwilling to sign the one years deal?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8 days until the exhibition season starts. They need to sign these guys already.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to factor in young guys gaining experience. Braun is a huge upgrade over AMac....
Braun may be an upgrade over AMac but he isn't the 41st pick in this years draft and a third round pick next year better.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if the are both unwilling to sign the one years deal?
Well not much can be done about that, try and trade one for something good. I guess it depends on wether they want to be a Flyer or get paid.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not much can be done about that, try and trade one for something good. I guess it depends on wether they want to be a Flyer or get paid.
In this day and age everyone wants to get paid. Which would you prefer to trade if we had to trade only one? I would rather keep TK as we could probably get more value back for Prov.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think they'll sign both. Probably to 3-4 year deals. Now that we're finally getting up to camp, I think we'll start seeing some signings across the league. Once one or two go, they'll start to come in bunches. There's just not reason for the team or the player to sign in July/August. Training camp is a reason to sign. Having that deadline will make things move.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this day and age everyone wants to get paid. Which would you prefer to trade if we had to trade only one? I would rather keep TK as we could probably get more value back for Prov.
Yep only problem is you'd have to hope the team you're trading him to looks at his overall performance and not last year's mediocre season.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think they'll sign both. Probably to 3-4 year deals. Now that we're finally getting up to camp, I think we'll start seeing some signings across the league. Once one or two go, they'll start to come in bunches. There's just not reason for the team or the player to sign in July/August. Training camp is a reason to sign. Having that deadline will make things move.
Hope you are right, it would be nice not to have any other distractions to start camp.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't really agree with Voracek being included there. He's a little bit of an up and down guy from year to year, but he's an established top ling winger in the NHL. At worst a 2nd line winger.

Hayes I agree with. If he doesn't produce and produce early, the fans are going to get antsy.

Ghost I kind of agree with, though I think there are others that have more on the line. Ghost is a #1 PP QB in the NHL and pretty established. Teams will always deal with those types of players and the deficiencies they may have at 5 on 5. Plus he's signed for 4 more years.

Guys that have more on the line, IMO:

Hagg is fighting for his NHL career IMO. I would say he's probably 7th on the depth chart going in to camp. He needs to have a good camp to either win playing time with the Flyers, or earn a big enough return that the Flyers would be willing to trade him instead of keeping him for depth. Otherwise he's looking at a lot of press box time this year. As a 24 year old, that's not a great spot to be in. Teams have vets and they have youngsters they want to give playing time to. Not early prime-aged guys that can barely crack a lineup.

Patrick needs to start producing like a top 5 pick. He's in a contract year and at risk of falling down the depth chart. If he doesn't have a good season, do the Flyers look at him as a future bottom 6 player now? Possibly a winger if they think Frost is a more productive center? If that's the case, his contract is going to look a lot different than if they think he's challenging Hayes for the 2C position and looking to be the long term 1-2 punch with Couturier.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braun may be an upgrade over AMac but he isn't the 41st pick in this years draft and a third round pick next year better.
You have to pay to play. They are better with Braun and he's not just a rental in Feb they get him all year. Give the guy a chance...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really agree with Voracek being included there. He's a little bit of an up and down guy from year to year, but he's an established top ling winger in the NHL. At worst a 2nd line winger.

Hayes I agree with. If he doesn't produce and produce early, the fans are going to get antsy.

Ghost I kind of agree with, though I think there are others that have more on the line. Ghost is a #1 PP QB in the NHL and pretty established. Teams will always deal with those types of players and the deficiencies they may have at 5 on 5. Plus he's signed for 4 more years.

Guys that have more on the line, IMO:

Hagg is fighting for his NHL career IMO. I would say he's probably 7th on the depth chart going in to camp. He needs to have a good camp to either win playing time with the Flyers, or earn a big enough return that the Flyers would be willing to trade him instead of keeping him for depth. Otherwise he's looking at a lot of press box time this year. As a 24 year old, that's not a great spot to be in. Teams have vets and they have youngsters they want to give playing time to. Not early prime-aged guys that can barely crack a lineup.

Patrick needs to start producing like a top 5 pick. He's in a contract year and at risk of falling down the depth chart. If he doesn't have a good season, do the Flyers look at him as a future bottom 6 player now? Possibly a winger if they think Frost is a more productive center? If that's the case, his contract is going to look a lot different than if they think he's challenging Hayes for the 2C position and looking to be the long term 1-2 punch with Couturier.
Hayes will take some pressure off of Patrick but he better start pushing for 2nd line soon...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to pay to play. They are better with Braun and he's not just a rental in Feb they get him all year. Give the guy a chance...
Id love to pay to play if that was a move to put us over the top and turn us into one of the elite teams in the league but trading the 41st player in the draft and a third round pick next year for a 32 year old who was minus 14 last year is not the move that we should be making especially when its stunting the growth of two of our own young defensemen.