• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eberle with 37 points signed for 5.5M per for 5 years.

What does that do to the Hayes negotiations?

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that do to Hayes negotiations? Do we now have to go up to 5 years 7 million per season?
It has a lot to do with the Eberle contract that's the point I was making

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some big questions raised by this trade...one of them is the cap management aspect of retaining $1mill of Gudas' salary on top of Niskanen's bigger cap hit. That makes that one roster spot over $6 million this coming season.
There is also the loss of sandpaper/grit factor that has been mentioned. The Flyers are simply too easy to play against. Gudas made people keep their heads up and on a swivel. That is going to be missed UNLESS there is something else afoot.

At this moment, I am whelmed. Not over and not under...just whelmed. I think that this is a set up move and I want to see what the other moves involved turn out to be.

Bright side, it is a veteran right shot puck mover who can be a mentor and play top 4 minutes.
It looks like we have $30,000,000 after this trade. For once, it doesn't look like cap is an issue. We can sign Provy, Sanheim, Laughton, Hayes, Talbot, TK and others and still have at least $3,000,000 available.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we have $30,000,000 after this trade. For once, it doesn't look like cap is an issue. We can sign Provy, Sanheim, Laughton, Hayes, Talbot, TK and others and still have at least $3,000,000 available.
Add on that we still have to pay to send down Schlemko and Amac or buy them both out

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like this trade?
Not in the least. Niskanen(sp) gets us no where near another important piece for a cup run. Dude is an over rated fuckin hack. And to boot we get to pick up his shitty contract. Already ready to move on from Fletcher. First Hayes now shitkinen, whos next Sean Avery?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the least. Niskanen(sp) gets us no where near another important piece for a cup run. Dude is an over rated fuckin hack. And to boot we get to pick up his shitty contract. Already ready to move on from Fletcher. First Hayes now shitkinen, whos next Sean Avery?
Tell us how you really feel. :dhd:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like this trade?

I like it. There's a lot of stink being made over the Flyers retaining 30% of Gudas' salary, but it's $1M for 1 year. I think people are getting caught up in the 'retaining 30%' headline and not thinking about the actual number. That retention is a drop in the bucket. As las said, you can make that up by buying out Schlemko. Or more than that if they buy out AMac. Plus, if Niskanen is the top 4 add and Hayes is the top 6 add; they're probably not spending up to the cap anyway. As for Niskanen being more expensive than Gudas; I'm fine with that, he's better than Gudas. I'd rather pay Niskanen 5.75 for 2 years than sign Tyler Myers for 7 years @ 6M. It's a role they need to fill temporarily, while Prov/Sanheim/Myers/Ghost/etc. develop. T. Myers would be an anchor long term.

I think Niskanen is a better player than Gudas and brings more leadership. He's won a cup. He's played 125 career playoff games. I think Giroux is 2nd on the team. He's got a whopping 69. Gudas had 15. So that's a serious influx in playoff experience. We've talked a lot about the Flyers needing a culture change. Niskanen helps that immensely. And taking it a step further, he's instilling that most in our young dmen. As this organization is constructed, the young dmen (and Hart) will have to be the backbone of a Stanley Cup champion. I'm happy to have Niskanen influencing them for two years.

As for on-ice, I think Niskanen is a significantly better skater and passer. I think he holds the blueline better. I think he can keep up with top lines better. He's been a 22+ minute per night guy for 5 years, frequently matching up against top lines. I expect they'll start the season with Provorov/Niskanen as the top pair. Gudas on the other hand, has been essentially a #5 dman the majority of his career. A good #5 dman, i'll give him that. But the only edge I'll give him is in physicality. The Flyers will surely miss that, but how much fear was Gudas really instilling in opponents? Was that fear making a huge difference? Being hard to play against doesn't necessarily mean guys clobbering the opponents. Being hard to play against, for me, is eliminating the room they have to operate. You can be in someone's face every time they have the puck, making life difficult, without putting them through the glass. I like having someone that can put them through the glass, but I'd rather have a Flyer within a foot or two of every opponent that thinks they're going to make a productive play.

The 'let down' part of this trade for me is, I think this is Fletcher's 'solution' on the back end. I like the addition, but I don't think Niskanen for Gudas is a true impact addition. It's an upgrade IMO, but not a massive one. At the same time, they gave up Radko Gudas for that upgrade. They didn't trade Ghost, or Frost, or Farabee, or #11. So to bring in Niskanen, who is a legit top 4 dman, without giving up any of their major trade chips; is a pretty big win IMO.

I think they now have 3 bonafide top 4 dmen in Provorov, Sanheim, and Niskanen. Ghost has played, and excelled, as a top 4 guy (top 2 even) before and I think we all believe Myers could be a top 4 guy. Then you have Hagg/Morin/AMac battling it out for the last slot. That's a pretty good spot to be in on defense IMO. And playing in to the Vigneualt hire; that's 5 of 6 dmen who can move the puck efficiently and effectively. That was a major problem for the Flyers last year, especially when AMac, Hagg, and Gudas were all in the lineup. There's a decent chance the Flyers play games with none of them in the lineup next year.

Last edited:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add on that we still have to pay to send down Schlemko and Amac or buy them both out
Sending them down adds about $900k cap space each. Another $1.8 million in space. They get paid but the team gets some cap relief.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. There's a lot of stink being made over the Flyers retaining 30% of Gudas' salary, but it's $1M for 1 year. I think people are getting caught up in the 'retaining 30%' headline and not thinking about the actual number. That retention is a drop in the bucket. As las said, you can make that up by buying out Schlemko. Or more than that if they buy out AMac. Plus, if Niskanen is the top 4 add and Hayes is the top 6 add; they're probably not spending up to the cap anyway. As for Niskanen being more expensive than Gudas; I'm fine with that, he's better than Gudas. I'd rather pay Niskanen 5.75 for 2 years than sign Tyler Myers for 7 years @ 6M. It's a role they need to fill temporarily, while Prov/Sanheim/Myers/Ghost/etc. develop. T. Myers would be an anchor long term.

I think Niskanen is a better player than Gudas and brings more leadership. He's won a cup. He's played 125 career playoff games. I think Giroux is 2nd on the team. He's got a whopping 69. Gudas had 15. So that's a serious influx in playoff experience. We've talked a lot about the Flyers needing a culture change. Niskanen helps that immensely. And taking it a step further, he's instilling that most in our young dmen. As this organization is constructed, the young dmen (and Hart) will have to be the backbone of a Stanley Cup champion. I'm happy to have Niskanen influencing them for two years.

As for on-ice, I think Niskanen is a significantly better skater and passer. I think he holds the blueline better. I think he can keep up with top lines better. He's been a 22+ minute per night guy for 5 years, frequently matching up against top lines. I expect they'll start the season with Provorov/Niskanen as the top pair. Gudas on the other hand, has been essentially a #5 dman the majority of his career. A good #5 dman, i'll give him that. But the only edge I'll give him is in physicality. The Flyers will surely miss that, but how much fear was Gudas really instilling in opponents? Was that fear making a huge difference? Being hard to play against doesn't necessarily mean guys clobbering the opponents. Being hard to play against, for me, is eliminating the room they have to operate. You can be in someone's face every time they have the puck, making life difficult, without putting them through the glass. I like having someone that can put them through the glass, but I'd rather have a Flyer within a foot or two of every opponent that thinks they're going to make a productive play.

The 'let down' part of this trade for me is, I think this is Fletcher's 'solution' on the back end. I like the addition, but I don't think Niskanen for Gudas is a true impact addition. It's an upgrade IMO, but not a massive one. At the same time, they gave up Radko Gudas for that upgrade. They didn't trade Ghost, or Frost, or Farabee, or #11. So to bring in Niskanen, who is a legit top 4 dman, without giving up any of their major trade chips; is a pretty big win IMO.

I think they now have 3 bonafide top 4 dmen in Provorov, Sanheim, and Niskanen. Ghost has played, and excelled, as a top 4 guy (top 2 even) before and I think we all believe Myers could be a top 4 guy. Then you have Hagg/Morin/AMac battling it out for the last slot. That's a pretty good spot to be in on defense IMO. And playing in to the Vigneualt hire; that's 5 of 6 dmen who can move the puck efficiently and effectively. That was a major problem for the Flyers last year, especially when AMac, Hagg, and Gudas were all in the lineup. There's a decent chance the Flyers play games with none of them in the lineup next year.
Lol you can try to paint this turd of a trade any color you want, sorry Niskanen is not an up grade to our defense. Over rated hack.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you can try to paint this turd of a trade any color you want, sorry Niskanen is not an up grade to our defense. Over rated hack.

I'm not saying he's Erik Karlsson. But he's better than Radko Gudas.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“The Flyers traded away a bottom-half-of-the-lineup defenseman for a top-half-of-the-lineup defenseman. Gudas was rarely deployed above the duties of a No. 4 blueliner on the depth chart (on a largely mediocre club), while Niskanen has exclusively been used in the top-half of the depth chart for a perennial Cup contender.“

An Athletic subscription is worth it just for Charlie’s stuff IMO.

The breakdown: Flyers address top-4 defenseman need with...

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol that's not a very high bar. I wasn't trying to be an ass about it but I just don't see how 2 years of Niskanen improves anything going forward. He doesn't play on the PK or have any physical attributes, and as far as playoff games experience goes is a good teacher but hunger is a better motivator IMO.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another over rated hack. I watched McKinnon and Landeskog make that dude look like an AHL scrub. Dude had one good season in Ottawa and that's about it. I really wish we'd try to add Myers or Truba if were just going to shit away 6 mil in cap space.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol that's not a very high bar. I wasn't trying to be an ass about it but I just don't see how 2 years of Niskanen improves anything going forward. He doesn't play on the PK or have any physical attributes, and as far as playoff games experience goes is a good teacher but hunger is a better motivator IMO.

Doesn’t matter how high the bar is. If he clears that bar, this trade made the flyers better. You can argue it’s not enough, which is fine, but this trade when viewed by itself, makes the flyers better. Which is good.

And he does play on the PK. And he’s more physical than you think. He’s no Gudas, but he was still 50th in the league in hits, among all skaters. That’s top 10% assuming 18 skaters per team. More of a Hagg-type hitter than Gudas, but he’s not a flower out there.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another over rated hack. I watched McKinnon and Landeskog make that dude look like an AHL scrub. Dude had one good season in Ottawa and that's about it. I really wish we'd try to add Myers or Truba if were just going to shit away 6 mil in cap space.

Cmon man. Landeskog and MacKinnon make every dman in the league look like scrubs. They’re elite players.

And IMO, we’d regret that Myers signing in a hurry. Trouba I could get behind, but at the same time, your cost of acquisition for Trouba is a hell of a lot more than Gudas.

Plus this trade doesn’t rule anything out moving forward. They still have plenty of cap space to do something more.