• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes: It was worth a 5th round pick to get the chance to start the conversation now. Will it work out, I don't know. I am getting the feeling no. He would be a helpful addition, but not signing him would not be the end of the world.

As I type this the official word has come down that the Sharks have resigned Karlsson.

IMHO, the Niskanen trade gives the Flyers a better right handed option after Myers. He is more comfortable with the puck on his stick than Gudas ever was. The real question is, will he bounce back or was last season the start of the decline?

Moving AMac was a forgone conclusion. That contract was one of Homer's biggest mistakes. I understood it at the time, that was what a blueliner was going to cost and we had him on the roster already, but 5mil? No way. If he was making 2 million I don't know that he gets moved.

The Flyers still need to improve the forward depth and the overall defensive corps.
I think Niskanen is a perfect fit because if he is in decline no biggie its only two years. If he bounces back we have a solid top pair player and maybe we resign him in two years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Patrick develops into a solid number 2 in the next two seasons then we will be paying our third line center 6.5 million for another 4 years.

And if he doesn't, the Flyers probably miss the playoffs next year.

And even if he does, good center depth can take you a long way. I'm sure the Pens don't lament the years they had Jordan Staal as their 3C at 4M (7% of the cap at that time, 6.5M would be ~8% of today's cap).

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it all comes down to this. Fletcher has to upgrade 2C. The 2019-20 Flyers are sunk if they don't IMO. So is overpaying Hayes by 1M or so worth it to ensure you upgrade 2C? Not only do you ensure you upgrade 2C, but you ensure you don't give up any assets to do it.

If Hayes' camp has come back and said "if you offer me 6 years, 7M, i'll sign right now", it'd be hard for me to say no.
Hayes would be an idiot to say no to 6 years 7 million. From our stand point we may be paying our third line center 7 million for a long time if Patrick picks up his game

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he doesn't, the Flyers probably miss the playoffs next year.

And even if he does, good center depth can take you a long way. I'm sure the Pens don't lament the years they had Jordan Staal as their 3C at 4M (7% of the cap at that time, 6.5M would be ~8% of today's cap).
If our top two centers were as good as Pittsburgh's in those years we would be sitting pretty

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who in our prospect pool is going to be vying for a spot on this years rooster that could be a good player?
It would be great if Morin could come in and pick up the gritty slack that Gudas left and turn into a solid 3/4.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our top two centers were as good as Pittsburgh's in those years we would be sitting pretty

Even more reason to have a good 3C then, right?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes would be an idiot to say no to 6 years 7 million. From our stand point we may be paying our third line center 7 million for a long time if Patrick picks up his game
What about Duchene at 7 yrs for 6.5 a year?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not offer 6 year 8.5/9 to Duchene because at least we know we have a real second line center if thats the case

I'm on board with that. I've said before I'd rather have Duchene than Hayes. But every article out there links Duchene to Nashville and Columbus.

So if the options are:

Hayes, 6 years 7M, 95% chance of success
Duchene, 6 years, 9M, 15% chance of success

Which path do you take? I would assume striking out on Duchene would result in signing someone like Marcus Johansson for 4x4.5 to be your 3C and hope that Patrick is your 2C. Or trading for a 2C and giving up assets.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board with that. I've said before I'd rather have Duchene than Hayes. But every article out there links Duchene to Nashville and Columbus.

So if the options are:

Which path do you take? I would assume striking out on Duchene would result in signing someone like Marcus Johansson for 4x4.5 to be your 3C and hope that Patrick is your 2C. Or trading for a 2C and giving up assets.
If we are going to overpay for one of these two guys i would rather overpay for Duchene.

Just checking to see where you got those percentages from?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if the options are:

Do nashville and Columbus have the room for Duchene? I guess if they let Panarin and Bob go they do, I see Bob looking for a sweet contract.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if the options are:

Also 6 years 9 million is not overpaying for Duchene that is what he would get anywhere.7 million per season for Hayes is overpaying

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if the options are:

Looking at this as the hypothetical choice... I go sign Hayes. The one thing Flyers have right now is cash. I'm using that cash to buy some certainty in what I do going forward. Would be glad to have an overpaid 3C - we could only hope to have this "mis" fortune if/when Patrick turns the corner and is a legit 2C. Locking in the help at center makes Flyer much more competitive. And doing that deal now, doesn't prohibit future moves two or three years down the pike as we learn what our prospects can/cannot do.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at this as the hypothetical choice... I go sign Hayes. The one thing Flyers have right now is cash. I'm using that cash to buy some certainty in what I do going forward. Would be glad to have an overpaid 3C - we could only hope to have this "mis" fortune if/when Patrick turns the corner and is a legit 2C. Locking in the help at center makes Flyer much more competitive. And doing that deal now, doesn't prohibit future moves two or three years down the pike as we learn what our prospects can/cannot do.
You would rather have Hayes at 7 million instead of Duchene for 9 million both 6 years?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we just went out and got a badass winger who could score and move G back to center and move Coots down to 2c?