• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to side with Awaz on Niskanan for Gudas. Still think defense is a lot about system and discipline. Capable experienced players that will fit the style of play the coach wants will go along way. That, plus a capable goalie will improve the goals against.

Now lets get a bonafide scorer.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do we currently stand with Hayes? Bill Meltzer mentioned he has interest with the Bruins?

Update: I see that Bill is saying it's Hayes's agent Bob Murray doing what agents do to get a bigger offer. My gut tells me Hayes is going to hit FA without a deal and I can't imagine he's going to get 6.5- 7 million a year? That's absurd, no?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do we currently stand with Hayes? Bill Meltzer mentioned he has interest with the Bruins?

Update: I see that Bill is saying it's Hayes's agent Bob Murray doing what agents do to get a bigger offer. My gut tells me Hayes is going to hit FA without a deal and I can't imagine he's going to get 6.5- 7 million a year? That's absurd, no?
Hopefully we quit chasing this bozo and go after someone more legit. Far better players to go after then Hayes. Let the Bruins have him.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully we quit chasing this bozo and go after someone more legit. Far better players to go after then Hayes. Let the Bruins have him.

This move was just as dumb as the Gudas move......
Word is he is looking hard at CBJ and Arizona for a home.....only way Philly is going to get him is to overpay him.

This new F/O staff and its moves are proving to be worse than the ones they replaced....
And they wonder why they the team can't find an identity and get in playoff contention....it starts with the idiots on top.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move was just as dumb as the Gudas move......
Word is he is looking hard at CBJ and Arizona for a home.....only way Philly is going to get him is to overpay him.

This new F/O staff and its moves are proving to be worse than the ones they replaced....
And they wonder why they the team can't find an identity and get in playoff contention....it starts with the idiots on top.

Well I hope they don't chase him into some ridicolus price and give him like 5 yrs @ 5.5 or 6, i'd like that money to be spent on a pure goal scorer or another Solid Dman. Fingers crossed.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope they don't chase him into some ridicolus price and give him like 5 yrs @ 5.5 or 6, i'd like that money to be spent on a pure goal scorer or another Solid Dman. Fingers crossed.

Guarantee Hayes gets more than 5 years @ 5.5 or 6. That's the market price for him. If you don't want to pay him that's fine, but that's what it takes to get better.

I wouldn't go over 6 years @ 6.5. At that price I would rather get someone else, but there aren't an unlimited number of good players available. Would you rather overpay Hayes a bit, or miss out entirely? I don't love the idea of Couturier, Patrick, Laughton, and ? as the C's for next year. That's a definite weakness. If paying Hayes a little extra is the alternative to that, sign me up for Hayes.

FWIW, I don't expect Hayes to sign. If he was going to sign, I think he would've last week.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie reporting "all signs are pointing to Karlsson returning to SJ"

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes: It was worth a 5th round pick to get the chance to start the conversation now. Will it work out, I don't know. I am getting the feeling no. He would be a helpful addition, but not signing him would not be the end of the world.

As I type this the official word has come down that the Sharks have resigned Karlsson.

IMHO, the Niskanen trade gives the Flyers a better right handed option after Myers. He is more comfortable with the puck on his stick than Gudas ever was. The real question is, will he bounce back or was last season the start of the decline?

Moving AMac was a forgone conclusion. That contract was one of Homer's biggest mistakes. I understood it at the time, that was what a blueliner was going to cost and we had him on the roster already, but 5mil? No way. If he was making 2 million I don't know that he gets moved.

The Flyers still need to improve the forward depth and the overall defensive corps.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes: It was worth a 5th round pick to get the chance to start the conversation now. Will it work out, I don't know. I am getting the feeling no. He would be a helpful addition, but not signing him would not be the end of the world.

As I type this the official word has come down that the Sharks have resigned Karlsson.

IMHO, the Niskanen trade gives the Flyers a better right handed option after Myers. He is more comfortable with the puck on his stick than Gudas ever was. The real question is, will he bounce back or was last season the start of the decline?

Moving AMac was a forgone conclusion. That contract was one of Homer's biggest mistakes. I understood it at the time, that was what a blueliner was going to cost and we had him on the roster already, but 5mil? No way. If he was making 2 million I don't know that he gets moved.

The Flyers still need to improve the forward depth and the overall defensive corps.

I would be OK with the defense as is now. But they absolutely have to add a C. As I see it, the only C that really moves the needle is Hayes; because it doesn't seem like Duchene is coming to Philly. Whether that's because he's not interested in Philly or because Fletcher isn't interested in him, we'll probably never know.

Unless they trade for one. Which likely opens another hole. Unless they do my Kopitar-for-picks/prospects plan :heh:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKenzie reporting "all signs are pointing to Karlsson returning to SJ"

8 years, ~11.5M

That's a risky deal for a very injury prone guy. Can't say I would be mad if the Flyers were the ones making that signing, he's damn good, but man that would scare me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 years, ~11.5M

That's a risky deal for a very injury prone guy. Can't say I would be mad if the Flyers were the ones making that signing, he's damn good, but man that would scare me.

Also leaves the Sharks with ~14M left. They need at least 5 forwards and a dman still. Labanc, Donskoi, Pavelski, Thonrton, Nyquist, and Meier all need new deals. Going to be some Sharks available.

I can't imagine they don't figure something out with Pavelski, but if he's available I would count him as a legit 2C option.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7 million for Hayes is a lot but we have seen crazier things happen in Philly.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also leaves the Sharks with ~14M left. They need at least 5 forwards and a dman still. Labanc, Donskoi, Pavelski, Thonrton, Nyquist, and Meier all need new deals. Going to be some Sharks available.

I can't imagine they don't figure something out with Pavelski, but if he's available I would count him as a legit 2C option.
He's one I could get behind but if it was only for a couple of years. What is he 33 or 35?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a waste of a 5th round pick if we dont sign him but if it costs 7 plus million to sign him good riddence.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who in our prospect pool is going to be vying for a spot on this years rooster that could be a good player?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes made 5.175 million last year he will get a hefty raise. At least 6.25 to 6.5 in this upcoming deal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one I could get behind but if it was only for a couple of years. What is he 33 or 35?

Yep, that'd have to be a short term deal. He's 34. But I expect all parties understand that would have to be a short term deal. And honestly, that might be a better fit for the Flyers if they expect Frost to be a top 6 center in the next few years.

But until I see something else, SJ has to be the heavy favorite to re-sign him. He's their captain, he's signed favorable deals there before, and he's played there his entire career. So it's a big IF as to whether or not he even gets to the market. And if he does, the Flyers won't be the only suitors.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guarantee Hayes gets more than 5 years @ 5.5 or 6. That's the market price for him. If you don't want to pay him that's fine, but that's what it takes to get better.

I wouldn't go over 6 years @ 6.5. At that price I would rather get someone else, but there aren't an unlimited number of good players available. Would you rather overpay Hayes a bit, or miss out entirely? I don't love the idea of Couturier, Patrick, Laughton, and ? as the C's for next year. That's a definite weakness. If paying Hayes a little extra is the alternative to that, sign me up for Hayes.

FWIW, I don't expect Hayes to sign. If he was going to sign, I think he would've last week.
If Patrick develops into a solid number 2 in the next two seasons then we will be paying our third line center 6.5 million for another 4 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 million for Hayes is a lot but we have seen crazier things happen in Philly.

To me, it all comes down to this. Fletcher has to upgrade 2C. The 2019-20 Flyers are sunk if they don't IMO. So is overpaying Hayes by 1M or so worth it to ensure you upgrade 2C? Not only do you ensure you upgrade 2C, but you ensure you don't give up any assets to do it.

If Hayes' camp has come back and said "if you offer me 6 years, 7M, i'll sign right now", it'd be hard for me to say no.