• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on Bennie. That is why his status needs to be addressed right away in order to deal with Gallo Guzman and DH.

We would expect the Ranfers to attempt to contend like it or not. We are not going to tank like the Astos to get uber prospects. But intentions aside it takes time and willing trade partners and FAs. We have a history of picking up guys at the end of Hot Stove. Therefore it is hard to have guarantees for Beltre. We need a lot of pitching. All know that

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the the comp is not as good as in the past, I think we do offer. Not sure what the figure is but likely around 18 million for a one year contract. If he rejects, we have a legit #3 SP. if he does not we can still negotiate.

Why don't you think we offer, money too high?
he isn't worth 18M. If I were paying that much it damn well better be Darvish, Arrieta or Otani

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would expect the Ranfers to attempt to contend like it or not. We are not going to tank like the Astos to get uber prospects. But intentions aside it takes time and willing trade partners and FAs. We have a history of picking up guys at the end of Hot Stove. Therefore it is hard to have guarantees for Beltre. We need a lot of pitching. All know that
Although I like your post I'm not sure how it pertained to mine.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This club needs to realize that Nick Martinez is not an option for the rotation anymore.

Definite not for starting 5 but we need rotation depth in the minors which is an issue IMO as well. All I have read is there is no one ready to step in to the mix and they need another year. That's also what is said in above article.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he isn't worth 18M. If I were paying that much it damn well better be Darvish, Arrieta or Otani

Teams sometimes overpay on a one year contract, right? If we tank then we can flip the contract. Just an opinion

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Ace ?
2.Hamel
3.Perez/Cashner
4. Perez/Cashner
5.AJ/?
With an ace like Darvish, do you think this SR is enough. After all it is pretty much like this year. Not locked in on this but Perez improved and Cashner was a nice addition. No.1 and 5 is needing help.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess everyone had to pee at the same time:nod:

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the Padres priorities for the off season is to find a SS. Maybe a landing spot for Profar.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight, I have no real dog in the fight, but I'd like to see MIN advance.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams sometimes overpay on a one year contract, right? If we tank then we can flip the contract. Just an opinion
i think we overpay to get him i am not in favor of overpaying him again. And bring him back would be tanking in my book so we might as well let Adrian find his own trade partner and walk.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Ace ?
2.Hamel
3.Perez/Cashner
4. Perez/Cashner
5.AJ/?
With an ace like Darvish, do you think this SR is enough. After all it is pretty much like this year. Not locked in on this but Perez improved and Cashner was a nice addition. No.1 and 5 is needing help.
answer to your question is no it is not enough

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well why don't you make suggestions.
we have already picked up Perez's option so there is our 4 or 5. I like the Darvish suggestion so with that and Hamels we have our 1 and 2. Bring in Otani eliminates Cashner need. So i go with Darvish, Hamels, Otani, Perez and AJ, Bibs etc at 5

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Ace ?
2.Hamel
3.Perez/Cashner
4. Perez/Cashner
5.AJ/?

I do not think it's enough. Perez improved in the final weeks of the season, but overall, I would classify his 2017 as a small step back from 2016, which makes it a disappointment to me. His H/9, HR/9, and overall WHIP went up, while pitching less innings. To his credit, his walks went down and his K's went up. I don't know if Perez is in a position to build off this year or if this is just who he is. In my opinion, for the Rangers rotation to be considered a legit contender, Perez would have to be slotted 4th.

Hamels, I assume, will probably take a another slight step back in 2018, which means that at best, he should be considered a #3 in a contending rotation. Which means that the Rangers are looking at needing two spots up front. I think in today's baseball you can get away with two #2's (not true "aces" but a step below) leading the rotation. But if they want to contend, they'll need to add two pitchers who are Darvish-esque or close to it. Otherwise, I don't see them in the mix.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never want or expect them to "tank". If they had an opportunity to trade away some veterans to pick up pieces for the farm then I would be all for that if those pieces were expected to help us to win a WS at some point. Let's say they looked for trade partners for Choo, Hamels, and Odor and found deals for each. That might move us a step back, but eventually it would move us a lot closer. To me tanking involves losing as much as possible to pick up higher draft picks and that is not palatable.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never want or expect them to "tank". If they had an opportunity to trade away some veterans to pick up pieces for the farm then I would be all for that if those pieces were expected to help us to win a WS at some point. Let's say they looked for trade partners for Choo, Hamels, and Odor and found deals for each. That might move us a step back, but eventually it would move us a lot closer. To me tanking involves losing as much as possible to pick up higher draft picks and that is not palatable.

I don't think Choo, Hamels, or Odor are going to bring back "pieces expected to help us win a WS."

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Choo, Hamels, or Odor are going to bring back "pieces expected to help us win a WS."
If they fill out the last part of our rotation they help us and if we win a WS then that is a part of what helps us. Don't take what I wrote as meaning I think we are going to get an ace or a big time bat for them. You need Matt Harrison types to get to a WS and if we can bring back a guy or two who project close to what he projected as along with a guy or two that projects to be a 4 or 5 then the trades would be successful. Who knows, we may find a GM who is as fond of Odor as you are and we may be surprised at what we get back for him, but I am not counting on that. If we traded those three veterans and we had a solid 3 and a solid 5 to show for it in a couple of years I would be satisfied.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we traded those three veterans and we had a solid 3 and a solid 5 to show for it in a couple of years I would be satisfied.

I don't think we're going to get pieces of that caliber back for any of those players.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo is owed 62M over the next 3 years and is pretty much limited to Dh duties with the occasional rf start, who in the AL would take on that and give anything worth while back? they would expect the Rangers to eat at least 30M and accept minimal return. Hamels has 2 years (one an option year) at 42.5M and he is probably the most likely trade piece but again we would eat a chuck of his salary and get minimal in return. odor is untradeable with his contract 67M over 8 years(i ludes option year) and his poor defense and offense