• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about timing -- if you look at the contracts last offseason for Miles Plumlee, ($13m/yr) Mozgov ($16m/yr), Biyombo ($18m/yr), Whiteside ($24.5m/yr), and Drummond ($26m/yr), Noel probably feels that he deserves at least somewhere between what Biyombo got and what Whiteside got. He's not Whiteside or Drummond but he's better than Plumlee, Mozgov, and Biyombo. I would guess that he would have gotten at least what Biyombo got last offseason, possibly more.

Either way, I'm glad he's not on the 76ers and I don't actually have to worry about what's going on. He should either take what Dallas is offering or sign the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

The bold is where the games played comes into it. There is little doubt that he is better than Plumlee, Mozgov and Biyombo, but no one is better than anyone when they are sitting on the bench in a suit.

At one time Andrew Bynum looked to be well in his way to being the best center in the game. But he couldn't get there because he couldn't stay on the court because his knees fell off. Hopefully, Noel will be able to stay healthy and show that he is actually worth what he thinks he is.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can't discount games played though. Actually playing in games and playing well is how guys earn max or near max deals. His sample size is too small to know how good he actually can be and whether or not he can stay healthy.

The idea that he went off and had some surgery that no one knew he needed is a bit problematic too, imo. The way stuff gets leaked, it seems that if the team was aware that he needed surgery, the fans would know about it too.

Agree 100%. I do think that there is some merit to your previous point about timing and I didn't mean to completely discount it as it may have looked like I was in my previous post. Chances are that had he been an FA last summer, he would have gotten a contract at least close to what he's asking for now because teams were just throwing money at guys. I mean, if TinaFey Mozgov could get $64 million :L

I'd have to think that Noel could have gotten $60 mil. lol

But that's where you have to understand the change in the market and lower your expectations. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up getting.

For sure. The timing of the surgery was a big issue from a 76ers fan perspective. We knew he was unhappy about the center situation and then like a week before the season we're told he needs a minor surgery that will keep him out. His overall attitude definitely wore on a large portion of the fanbase (although, there is still a sizable group of fans that think Noel is a future star and that the 76ers should have kept him.)

I think his agent probably promised him the moon and has now been unable to deliver.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is where the games played comes into it. There is little doubt that he is better than Plumlee, Mozgov and Biyombo, but no one is better than anyone when they are sitting on the bench in a suit.

At one time Andrew Bynum looked to be well in his way to being the best center in the game. But he couldn't get there because he couldn't stay on the court because his knees fell off. Hopefully, Noel will be able to stay healthy and show that he is actually worth what he thinks he is.

All true. Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with the Andrew Bynum saga. I don't think Noel factored in how his decision to have surgery a week before the season might impact his overall value. Because without the dip last year, 75 games and 67 games doesn't look that bad.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true. Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with the Andrew Bynum saga. I don't think Noel factored in how his decision to have surgery a week before the season might impact his overall value. Because without the dip last year, 75 games and 67 games doesn't look that bad.

Agree. Guys can be limited to 75 and 64 games just off of a sprained ankle. But when guys miss 31 games due to surgery and there is what looks to be a downward trend in availability, teams start to shy away. Especially since Bynum.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they had to age Danny or the FBI would have to shutdown all that Kiddie p@rn.

I'm glad they aged Rob and Jon up too.

As for the streamlining of the story, I'm glad they condensed the Reek storyline.

But, I'm sad we won't get Lady Stoneheart.

Yeah, the ages of the kids was always surprising. Plus it's kind of funny for the book Bran to be so young and the tv version is like a 6'0" giant now, lol.

I don't mind not seeing Lady Stoneheart. It wasn't one of the more interesting story lines to me though. I'm curious if they'll just skip over the Gendry line too since we haven't seen him for a few seasons.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Guys can be limited to 75 and 64 games just off of a sprained ankle. But when guys miss 31 games due to surgery and there is what looks to be a downward trend in availability, teams start to shy away. Especially since Bynum.

His minutes were also drastically reduced last year. He went from roughly 30 minutes per game in his first 2 seasons to about 20 minutes per game last season. None of it bodes well for the possibility of a big contract this offseason. Given his stubbornness on the issue, I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign the QO and head to unrestricted free agency in 2018.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not playing has hurt him more than timing, imo.

The problem for Noel, imo, is that he is wanting to be paid for his potential rather than what he's accomplished. This is a guy who has played in an average of 64 games per season over his 3 years.

Also, his games played is heading in the wrong direction. He played in 75 games his first season, 67 his 2nd season and 51 last year. No one is going to give up max money for that.

His games started is also trending in the wrong direction, going from 71 to 62 to 19.

He's only 23, so he has plenty of time to get the max deal he wants later on.

Imo, he should take what he can get and spend the time under that contract trying to stay healthy and showing through actual play, that he deserves a max deal.

Dallas knew this was coming when they traded for him though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His minutes were also drastically reduced last year. He went from roughly 30 minutes per game in his first 2 seasons to about 20 minutes per game last season. None of it bodes well for the possibility of a big contract this offseason. Given his stubbornness on the issue, I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign the QO and head to unrestricted free agency in 2018.

Agree. For his sake, I hope he stays healthy and plays his ass off.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about timing -- if you look at the contracts last offseason for Miles Plumlee, ($13m/yr) Mozgov ($16m/yr), Biyombo ($18m/yr), Whiteside ($24.5m/yr), and Drummond ($26m/yr), Noel probably feels that he deserves at least somewhere between what Biyombo got and what Whiteside got. He's not Whiteside or Drummond but he's better than Plumlee, Mozgov, and Biyombo. I would guess that he would have gotten at least what Biyombo got last offseason, possibly more.

Either way, I'm glad he's not on the 76ers and I don't actually have to worry about what's going on. He should either take what Dallas is offering or sign the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

Wouldn't mind him signing the qualifying offer and coming to LA next season if the stars don't align, so to speak.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas knew this was coming when they traded for him though.

Dallas was allegedly prepared to match a max contract offer. But it appears that no other team has offered anything better than what Dallas initially offered (which has not been reported so we don't know the details.) Noel wants Dallas to pay him more than the market dictates out of the goodness of their hearts. That type of treatment is usually reserved for stars, not players like Noel.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't mind him signing the qualifying offer and coming to LA next season if the stars don't align, so to speak.

Agree and almost posted the same. I'd want to see him get through this season completely healthy though. After Bynum, I'm very wary of young guys that already have a history of serious injuries. Especially a big.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

L.A. wouldn't be a bad fit for him. He'd benefit offensively from Lonzo Ball's gifted passing and he'd help strengthen their defense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L.A. wouldn't be a bad fit for him. He'd benefit offensively from Lonzo Ball's gifted passing and he'd help strengthen their defense.

From what I've seen the past few seasons...just having a guy who will get in an opponents way would strengthen the Lakers defense. lol

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,416.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the meat. I'd argue extra cheese or oil and vinegar is worse than getting extra meat on a hoagie (or whatever you want to call it.) Especially if that meat is low-fat turkey. Of all the options, I like Jersey Mike's the best and a big part of it is the roll. Subway's rolls are awful.

I do like Jersey Mikes....

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,416.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start a new off-season thread or "roll" with this one?

I don't think they get locked at 10k anymore.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,416.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd welcome Noel next summer if we don't get 2 legit stars. He'd be perfect for the team. Rebound and play defense....he'd get some offensive touches from Ball....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the meat. I'd argue extra cheese or oil and vinegar is worse than getting extra meat on a hoagie (or whatever you want to call it.) Especially if that meat is low-fat turkey. Of all the options, I like Jersey Mike's the best and a big part of it is the roll. Subway's rolls are awful.

Definitely true.