• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this is complete bullshit. It has to be.

Wiggy has told us that no players were going to be taking less money.

We all know that Wiggy is always right on everything and has better sources than even Woj. :heh:

God damn it I forgot about that. Must be completely trash reporting.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems quite a bit lower than the projections that were made here....hmmm.

Well lower than I had predicted, but we saw a complete turn around in the market from last year's free agency. Last year Clark would be cashing in on a 4 year 40M deal. This year he gets the minimum for one year, being a key component of an NBA Championship team. Crazy the turn around one season makes.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Thompson, bay area news writer who covers the Warriors, said that Curry told him he approached the Warriors management and told them he was willing to take less money to keep the core intact. He was willing to sacrifice salary to make sure the team was able to bring back KD, Iguodala and Livingston.

But since the Warriors held Steph's bird rights, it didn't matter if he took less or not. The Warriors didn't have Durant's bird rights meaning he was really the only one who could impact their signings and we saw what he did.

The biggest thing for me in this takeaway was that Steph approached management and told them he would take less, but the Warriors told him he didn't need to and still maxed him out. That's how you take care of your players. Says a lot about the Warriors organization as a whole.

We all know that Wiggy is always right on everything and has better sources than even Woj. :heh:

The narrative seems a little bogus. It may all be true but I don't buy the "benevolent Warriors" storyline -- Curry said he would take less if they needed him to in order to sign KD, Iguodala, and Livingston. The narrative suggests that the Warriors could have duped Curry into taking a lesser deal under the guise that they needed the money to sign the other guys -- but doing so would have been a complete lie to one of their homegrown stars and likely would have been realized before Curry signed any contract. Unless Curry went to them and said, "I'll take less money so that you guys don't have to pay too much in luxury tax" and they came back and said, "Screw the luxury tax, Steph, we want to give you as much money as possible because, gosh darn it, you deserve it!" But something tells me that didn't happen.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Charley your gay lover?
giphy.gif

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Seriously who is Charleys? I plan on traveling one day and it all revolves around food.

Subs, fries, and lemonade are pretty damned good.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The narrative seems a little bogus. It may all be true but I don't buy the "benevolent Warriors" storyline -- Curry said he would take less if they needed him to in order to sign KD, Iguodala, and Livingston. The narrative suggests that the Warriors could have duped Curry into taking a lesser deal under the guise that they needed the money to sign the other guys -- but doing so would have been a complete lie to one of their homegrown stars and likely would have been realized before Curry signed any contract. Unless Curry went to them and said, "I'll take less money so that you guys don't have to pay too much in luxury tax" and they came back and said, "Screw the luxury tax, Steph, we want to give you as much money as possible because, gosh darn it, you deserve it!" But something tells me that didn't happen.

Bob Myers was asked during Summer League how the negotiation went with Curry and he basically said they just told Curry whatever he wants he's going to get.

Curry approached the team and told him he would take less if it helped them sign free agents. Warriors said no it wouldn't help them and gave him the max.

Curry was willing to take less, but didn't have to. Warriors could have said to Curry it would help if he took less because technically it would with the Luxury Tax ramifications coming soon with another KD deal and Klay and Draymond in the next two years. But the Warriors told him he didn't need to and they'd figure out a way in the future.

I think the real truth of the narrative lies somewhere in between our descriptions.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,382.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just go to Philly and get the real thing? I've never been to a Charley's so I can't say for sure, and it may be fine for a sandwich franchise -- but that sandwich looks subpar.

I'm going to Philly also.....I like to try different variations.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Myers was asked during Summer League how the negotiation went with Curry and he basically said they just told Curry whatever he wants he's going to get.

Curry approached the team and told him he would take less if it helped them sign free agents. Warriors said no it wouldn't help them and gave him the max.

Curry was willing to take less, but didn't have to. Warriors could have said to Curry it would help if he took less because technically it would with the Luxury Tax ramifications coming soon with another KD deal and Klay and Draymond in the next two years. But the Warriors told him he didn't need to and they'd figure out a way in the future.

I think the real truth of the narrative lies somewhere in between our descriptions.

Probably. And honestly, the Warriors are a great organization. However this unfolded, everyone on the team seems to be happy and they're probably going to win at least another 2 titles. So the narrative around it doesn't matter too much, I don't suppose.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Players that take less money in the prime of their careers are stupid.

Curry got paid tho so it don't matter