• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does he now? huh, who knew...?

hope his kid has a better head on his shoulders...
Well, the fact that his kid isn't a crack baby is definitely a great start. :heh:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the possible lineup of Lebron, Ingram, Lonzo and PG...you'd have as close to positionless basketball as any team not named the Warriors. All 4 can guard at least 2 positions (assuming Ingram and Lonzo improve defensively) and all can handle the ball and pass. Seems like a pretty good lineup to me and a real potential threat to the Warriors.

Why would there be a stalled building process just because they got Lebron?

The Lakers have their core. Unless they pull off another trade, they aren't going to have a first round pick and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be a lottery pick. So it's not as if they can tank another year to add another piece.

If the Lakers were to pull off landing Lebron and PG, they will have added the best player in the game and another top 10-15 player to help accelerate the growth of the young core without giving up much to get them. Then, when Lebron eventually moves on via FA or retirement...they still have their young core (now fully developed) and PG going forward.

I see that potential move as one that would spike both their short and long term success.

Exactly.

Adding LeBron only enhances the building process. They would have a roster possibly capable of challenging the Warriors by their second year together and Ball and Lonzo would learn from Bron.

Yes, LeBron will leave at some point. But by then, hopefully Ball and Ingram are ready to carry the team in their own.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zubac is no Zizic.

:nod:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get cap space for 2 max contracts, there's a lot of culling to be done. It will probably cost them Clarkson and Randle to start with, and will leave them without a center (there isn't going to be money for Bropez if they add two max contracts). It could cost them other assets if they need to trade away Deng's contract (instead of stretching it), as it already cost them Russell. That's just to fit Lebron and George on the roster; then you have to deal with Lebron's strong-arming to get his changes made to the roster.

Randle and Clarkson are not big losses. I like both of those guys, but they are easily replaced. Clarkson is a points off the bench combo guard. Those guys can be picked up easily for vet min salaries. Randle is a 14-17 ppg 7-10 rpg undersized PF. He's a good player, but with the raise he'll be looking for, they can guys who will produce about the same for less money or be improved upon for about the same as he'll be asking for.

As for a center. They can keep developing Zubac. He's not going to be an all star, but he'll be solid.

Also, let's say Lebron and PG come to LA and Lebron does his 1 and 1's for 3 years before retiring or going to another team. The Lakers will have Lebron, PG, Lonzo, Ingram, Nance, Kuzma and Hunt (assuming the last 2 pan out). Then, after 3 years (and maybe even a title), Lebron leaves and they are left with the guys I mentioned, who are now fully developed, and the cap space from Lebron being off the books. I'll take that any time.

As for Russell, he needed to be gone anyway.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle and Clarkson are not big losses. I like both of those guys, but they are easily replaced. Clarkson is a points off the bench combo guard. Those guys can be picked up easily for vet min salaries. Randle is a 14-17 ppg 7-10 rpg undersized PF. He's a good player, but with the raise he'll be looking for, they can guys who will produce about the same for less money or be improved upon for about the same as he'll be asking for.

As for a center. They can keep developing Zubac. He's not going to be an all star, but he'll be solid.

Also, let's say Lebron and PG come to LA and Lebron does his 1 and 1's for 3 years before retiring or going to another team. The Lakers will have Lebron, PG, Lonzo, Ingram, Nance, Kuzma and Hunt (assuming the last 2 pan out). Then, after 3 years (and maybe even a title), Lebron leaves and they are left with the guys I mentioned, who are now fully developed, and the cap space from Lebron being off the books. I'll take that any time.

As for Russell, he needed to be gone anyway.

LEBron is much less likely to sign a 1 and 1 in LA. He still might for financial reasons, but it won't be necessary. Dan Gilbert does not own the Lakers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEBron is much less likely to sign a 1 and 1 in LA. He still might for financial reasons, but it won't be necessary. Dan Gilbert does not own the Lakers.

That's true. Especially if he considers the Lakers his last stop.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son was never good enough for travel teams, but always played rec ball, little league, etc.., which is competitive but should also be fun.
I would coach/assistant coach whenever I could.
The parents ruin the games.
There were several kids I wouldn't draft just because I wasn't about to deal with their parents.

Yep. I had the opportunity to coach rec league basketball, little league and high school basketball. I used to tell the parents, if you want to know why your kid isn't playing more or why he is playing one position instead of another, feel free to ask me. But be prepared for the possibility of getting an answer you won't like.

In all of the years I coached, I only ever had one parent ask. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was just about to post something similar.

You have to give up something to get rid of Deng.

You have to renounce KCP and Brook to have 1 max slot, let alone 2.

Lebron's starting max salary is 30 plus.

They also have the option of stretching Deng if they don't want to have to give up anyone else in a trade.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This board is so much better without a certain Cavs fan. Amazing