• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really have a problem with what Lebron said. He's right, it's unfortunate, but I'm sure people do go to the games and there are plenty who want to see a that he's affiliated with lose, even when it's a team of kids.

Likewise

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll depend on where the cap settles. But as the roster is currently constructed, if they renounce all rights to the guys they have on 1 year deals (like Lopez), they'll have enough for 1 max contract guy and some midlevel guys. To get two, they're gonna have to dump Deng along with Randle or Clarkson, possibly both. Two max contract guys will be roughly 40 mil a piece depending that players veteran status, etc so that alone is basically 80 mil. With all the guys on rookie salaries added together, its now up between 90 to 95 mil. The cap will probably be around 105ish mil, so LA will have about 10 million to play with if they sign two max free agents next summer. Won't be enough for Lopez if he wants a big payday or even market value payday. And since his rights will be renounced to clear his cap hold, they can't sign him if they are over the cap.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. If they can get 2, the only way to keep Lopez would be for the other 2 to give up some money, which is always a big ask.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. If they can get 2, the only way to keep Lopez would be for the other 2 to give up some money, which is always a big ask.

Remember when you and @wildturkey used to have heated debates about Byron Scott?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made a lot and he's smart....after spending his career on the Nets you think he'd want to be part of a competitive team if they added a couple max guys......he's not gonna be broke at 45-50.

True and being a Stanford product, means he really is smart. However, he's also 29 years old and this will likely be his last opportunity to sign for significant money. So, I couldn't really blame him if he decided to go for that one last big contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. Versatile wings are where it is at. LeBron, George and Ingram could all start together and it would work great. There are very few post up 4s anymore, and George can guard any perimeter player, either 1 or 2. Against teams with dynamic point guards, you put George on the point and let Lonzo guard the 2. They are all big enough to be almost interchangeable defensively.

As for the modern center, who is it that you are getting? cousins? Good luck with that.

I've made it pretty clear that I hate Cousins, and he's more of a throwback center IMO that added some range. I'm thinking more of a rim defender with shooting range, which is still pretty rare in the league.

In your scenario, Lebron is basically playing PF, like I mentioned he would have to be. I know it's not stereotypical PF as in the past, but he's still going to be the second biggest guy on the floor. George and especially Ingram aren't going to defend in the paint much. George could be an option if he leaves OKC, or KCP could be that option if he fits well this year.

Adding stars like George and Lebron may spike the Lakers short term success, but at what cost to the long term team building? Lebron is never long for anywhere and is passing his peak. If he wants a 1 and 1 contract for the next 2 years (which the Warriors may still be dominating) and then leaves, what do the Lakers do next to continue the stalled building process? I'm very wary of the impact Lebron has on a team as he throws his influence around then jumps ship.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your scenario, Lebron is basically playing PF, like I mentioned he would have to be. I know it's not stereotypical PF as in the past, but he's still going to be the second biggest guy on the floor. George and especially Ingram aren't going to defend in the paint much. George could be an option if he leaves OKC, or KCP could be that option if he fits well this year.

Adding stars like George and Lebron may spike the Lakers short term success, but at what cost to the long term team building? Lebron is never long for anywhere and is passing his peak. If he wants a 1 and 1 contract for the next 2 years (which the Warriors may still be dominating) and then leaves, what do the Lakers do next to continue the stalled building process? I'm very wary of the impact Lebron has on a team as he throws his influence around then jumps ship.

With the possible lineup of Lebron, Ingram, Lonzo and PG...you'd have as close to positionless basketball as any team not named the Warriors. All 4 can guard at least 2 positions (assuming Ingram and Lonzo improve defensively) and all can handle the ball and pass. Seems like a pretty good lineup to me and a real potential threat to the Warriors.

Why would there be a stalled building process just because they got Lebron?

The Lakers have their core. Unless they pull off another trade, they aren't going to have a first round pick and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be a lottery pick. So it's not as if they can tank another year to add another piece.

If the Lakers were to pull off landing Lebron and PG, they will have added the best player in the game and another top 10-15 player to help accelerate the growth of the young core without giving up much to get them. Then, when Lebron eventually moves on via FA or retirement...they still have their young core (now fully developed) and PG going forward.

I see that potential move as one that would spike both their short and long term success.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas won in 2010. Since it has been LeBron, SA and GS.

And no, I don't think every team to win a title has been special. We are now in the super team era though. Unless something changes NBA culture drastically, it will take a truly special team to win moving forward.

LeBron moving to Miami has changed the way every star thinks when entering free agency. It used to be that really good teams had a chance. Now you have to be great.

Dallas won the finals for the '10-11 season over the summer of 2011.

When was the last championship team (other than the Mavs) that you don't consider special? Maybe Wade's Heat, or the 03/04 Pistons? Otherwise, you have to go back to the 70's.

Warriors (2 out of last 3)
Lebron's Cavs (1)
Duncan/Pop Spurs (5)
Superfriends Heat (2)
Big 3 Celtics (1)
Kobe/Gasol Lakers (2 finals out of 3 consec app)
Wade/Shaq Heat (1)
03/04 Pistons (1)
Shaq/Kobe Lakers (3)
Jordan Bulls (5)
Hakeem's Rockets (2)
Bad Boy Pistons (2)
Magic's Lakers (5)
Bird's Celtics (3)
Dr J's Sixers (1 out of 3 finals app)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the possible lineup of Lebron, Ingram, Lonzo and PG...you'd have as close to positionless basketball as any team not named the Warriors. All 4 can guard at least 2 positions (assuming Ingram and Lonzo improve defensively) and all can handle the ball and pass. Seems like a pretty good lineup to me and a real potential threat to the Warriors.

Why would there be a stalled building process just because they got Lebron?

The Lakers have their core. Unless they pull off another trade, they aren't going to have a first round pick and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be a lottery pick. So it's not as if they can tank another year to add another piece.

If the Lakers were to pull off landing Lebron and PG, they will have added the best player in the game and another top 10-15 player to help accelerate the growth of the young core without giving up much to get them. Then, when Lebron eventually moves on via FA or retirement...they still have their young core (now fully developed) and PG going forward.

I see that potential move as one that would spike both their short and long term success.

To get cap space for 2 max contracts, there's a lot of culling to be done. It will probably cost them Clarkson and Randle to start with, and will leave them without a center (there isn't going to be money for Bropez if they add two max contracts). It could cost them other assets if they need to trade away Deng's contract (instead of stretching it), as it already cost them Russell. That's just to fit Lebron and George on the roster; then you have to deal with Lebron's strong-arming to get his changes made to the roster.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, the clippers curse lives on :dhd:
It might be a blessing in disguise.

It's a 4 week injury.

So, his fragile ass will be ready for camp unless he blows a hammy walking up the stairs.

They need to bubble wrap both he and Blake for the remainder of the Summer.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made a lot and he's smart....after spending his career on the Nets you think he'd want to be part of a competitive team if they added a couple max guys......he's not gonna be broke at 45-50.

You have to renounce him to get two max slots.

He is not taking the vet minimum when other Teams will have money.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,955.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get cap space for 2 max contracts, there's a lot of culling to be done. It will probably cost them Clarkson and Randle to start with, and will leave them without a center (there isn't going to be money for Bropez if they add two max contracts). It could cost them other assets if they need to trade away Deng's contract (instead of stretching it), as it already cost them Russell. That's just to fit Lebron and George on the roster; then you have to deal with Lebron's strong-arming to get his changes made to the roster.

Wouldn't leave us without a C. Zubac.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was just about to post something similar.

You have to give up something to get rid of Deng.

You have to renounce KCP and Brook to have 1 max slot, let alone 2.

Lebron's starting max salary is 30 plus.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was disgusting.

Dude is a misogynistic Pig.

In light of this recent event, all the good will about him being a stand up guy with his Wife being Ill has been flushed down the toilet.

They are coming at him with both barrells now.

Shit that was being kept low is all coming out now.

His Son seems like a good kid and I hope he is successful.

But, any man who says this about his wife is a fucking monster and the shit he's doing is not an act.

She wants to talk, and she can get out a few words,” Ball said. “I’m rebooting her right now. She’s saying, ‘LaVar, you’re right. You are right.’ That’s all I want to hear her say. Now we can get another 25 years having a good time. She is going to get better with me.”

“Like I told my boys: ‘I got her. Now you can do whatever you want to do. What I’m not going to [do] is burden you with sitting there rubbing her hand,’ ” Ball told Goodman. “We’re not making a movie.”

Ball’s oddest comments, though, may have come while describing a lesson he imparted to Lonzo, as well as his younger brothers LiAngelo (who is set to play for UCLA, as Lonzo did last year) and LaMelo (a high school sophomore who once scored 92 points in one game), when they were children.

I told them, ‘If you’re going to be disrespectful to your mom, I want you to be all the time.’ So, excuse my language right here, but if you want to say, ‘Good morning, b—-,’ that’s fine with me,” Ball said. “I’m not going to say nothing. If you want to call your mom a b—-, that’s fine.

“But don’t get sick, when your stomach is hurting and you want me to care for you because you know I ain’t. … She’ll clean up the throw-up, the s—, whatever. She’ll take care of what you want. … So don’t wait until you need something, or you need her to make you something, and now you want to be nice to her. …

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was disgusting.

Dude is a misogynistic Pig.

In light of this recent event, all the good will about him being a stand up guy with his Wife being Ill has been flushed down the toilet.

They are coming at him with both barrells now.

Shit that was being kept low is all coming out now.

His Son seems like a good kid and I hope he is successful.

But, any man who says this about his wife is a fucking monster and the shit he's doing is not an act.

She wants to talk, and she can get out a few words,” Ball said. “I’m rebooting her right now. She’s saying, ‘LaVar, you’re right. You are right.’ That’s all I want to hear her say. Now we can get another 25 years having a good time. She is going to get better with me.”

“Like I told my boys: ‘I got her. Now you can do whatever you want to do. What I’m not going to [do] is burden you with sitting there rubbing her hand,’ ” Ball told Goodman. “We’re not making a movie.”

Ball’s oddest comments, though, may have come while describing a lesson he imparted to Lonzo, as well as his younger brothers LiAngelo (who is set to play for UCLA, as Lonzo did last year) and LaMelo (a high school sophomore who once scored 92 points in one game), when they were children.

I told them, ‘If you’re going to be disrespectful to your mom, I want you to be all the time.’ So, excuse my language right here, but if you want to say, ‘Good morning, b—-,’ that’s fine with me,” Ball said. “I’m not going to say nothing. If you want to call your mom a b—-, that’s fine.

“But don’t get sick, when your stomach is hurting and you want me to care for you because you know I ain’t. … She’ll clean up the throw-up, the s—, whatever. She’ll take care of what you want. … So don’t wait until you need something, or you need her to make you something, and now you want to be nice to her. …

:eek: Scum

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really have a problem with what Lebron said. He's right, it's unfortunate, but I'm sure people do go to the games and there are plenty who want to see a team that he's affiliated with lose, even when it's a team of kids.

Why is he wearing a sleeve on his right arm?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, kids trash talking kids, is no big deal. But when the alleged grown ups start doing it...that's crap. I mean, some of these kids are playing on a team with Lebron's kid and getting coached by the best player in the game. Who gets an opportunity like that? Talk about what should be a cool experience.

It should be an amazing time for them, not something that should be messed up by grown ups who can't behave like grown ups.

My son was never good enough for travel teams, but always played rec ball, little league, etc.., which is competitive but should also be fun.
I would coach/assistant coach whenever I could.
The parents ruin the games.
There were several kids I wouldn't draft just because I wasn't about to deal with their parents.