• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball and Ingram both have the ability to be good defenders.
A lot of NBA players do... we'll see, I suppose... haven't really seen that translation yet.

Both lack quality NBA strength

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure most stars would not want to play with Westbrook just because he dominates the ball way too much. Just look at what he did during KD especially in big moments during the playoffs

I agree that Westbrook isn't the ideal star to teamup with...but acting like Ball has already established himself as Jason Kidd in his prime is completely absurd. He may end up being a solid but unspectacular starter in the league. Given the choice between a league average starting PG and Westbrook, everyone will take Westbrook. So it really depends on how Lonzo performs, and I don't see him establishing himself enough in his rookie year to make stars want to play with him. But maybe the money, playing in LA, and working with Magic all combined will attract people. I wouldn't bet on it but who knows.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of NBA players do... we'll see, I suppose... haven't really seen that translation yet.

Both lack quality NBA strength

And they have a full season ahead of them.....talking about the season after next year, not this upcoming one. Ingram will be heading into his 3rd season and Ball his 2nd.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Westbrook isn't the ideal star to teamup with...but acting like Ball has already established himself as Jason Kidd in his prime is completely absurd. He may end up being a solid but unspectacular starter in the league. Given the choice between a league average starting PG and Westbrook, everyone will take Westbrook. So it really depends on how Lonzo performs, and I don't see him establishing himself enough in his rookie year to make stars want to play with him. But maybe the money, playing in LA, and working with Magic all combined will attract people. I wouldn't bet on it but who knows.

But after this year Paul George is for sure coming, and who knows who else then. So will FAs want all the Lakers bennies plus playing with Ball and George? I bet some will, maybe even the biggest one.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum has shown gobs of potential during Summer League... not sure it's a good idea to take a stab at him, doesn't help whatever point you're making.

So it's not valid to point out he allowed 31 pts and 9 boards to his opposite # while being praised for 27 pts and 11 boards? He has a very polished offensive game, but let's slow down on the praise a bit.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's not valid to point out he allowed 31 pts and 9 boards to his opposite # while being praised for 27 pts and 11 boards? He has a very polished offensive game, but let's slow down on the praise a bit.
In a Summer League game?... not really

I fully concede that Tatum... like almost all rookies... has a long, long way to go re: NBA defense. A lot of it is body development and strength... kid is 19.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're assuming Ball in his 2nd year will be equivalent to Kidd in his prime years? If you're a 27-29 year old star, do you want to wait for Ball to develop into a top player or do you want to team up with the sure thing?

Most of the other top PGs have the ability to score and distribute -- Curry, Wall, Harden, Westbrook, Paul...can all score but the ones that have had the most success are able to elevate their teammates as well.

Westbrook had 10 assist per game last year and is the reigning MVP. It's doubtful any current stars would pick playing with Ball over playing with Westbrook.

No. I am not assuming he will be as good as anybody. I am saying his offensive playing style reminds me of Kidd. There are 0 PGs in the NBA today who play like that. It is a style other players will flock too even if he doesn't end up being as good as Kidd. Offensively I think he can be though. Kidd was a two way player though. Ball isn't as of now.

I promise you. Smart players will pick Ball and LA over Westbrook. George will next year. I know I would if I were George.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's going to take a lot to convince PG to stay in OKC.....it would be shocking if he stayed, not just because I'm a Laker fan either, but because he's been so ADAMANT about wanting to play for the Lakers....

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it wouldn't have shocked me if he had played for the Clippers just to be in Los Angeles, even though all along he has stated the Lakers......but that was before Gallo signed with them.....now if he wants to play in LA it has to be the Lakers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you underestimating Lavar's ability to "speak it into existence"?:D

Yes I am.

There are 29 other teams who would have to play along with Lavar's strong arm attempts. I don't see it happening. Also, assuming LA is good by the time LaMelo comes out, I bet they won't be willing to give the assets necessary to appease Lavar and draft LaMelo.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I am not assuming he will be as good as anybody. I am saying his offensive playing style reminds me of Kidd. There are 0 PGs in the NBA today who play like that. It is a style other players will flock too even if he doesn't end up being as good as Kidd. Offensively I think he can be though. Kidd was a two way player though. Ball isn't as of now.

I promise you. Smart players will pick Ball and LA over Westbrook. George will next year. I know I would if I were George.

I may love you....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- I don't think superstars are going to care about that. They'll want money and an opportunity to win. The Lakers will have money but they need to convince people they can win too. That requires, imo, a major leap forward by Ingram or two star players colluding to both join LA, or both.

So it's possible. I'm just not sure it'll happen.

I'm not so sure they need two, unless their prospects regress. Add Paul George at the wing with Ingram (who is hinting at a sizable leap in his game in year two) along with Lonzo and that's a great start. Randle could emerge beyond his double/double average, or they could look at a PF/C to pair with George. That may need to happen via trade though, unless Bropez proves the answer at C (doubtful) or they pursue Cousins (I'd rather avoid that cancer). It will take a bit longer behind one proven player, but the depth will be much better.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they're gonna need to learn how to play solid team defense. No one on that potential roster is a good one on one defender outside of George.

Ingram has defensive potential with his length

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a Summer League game?... not really

I fully concede that Tatum... like almost all rookies... has a long, long way to go re: NBA defense. A lot of it is body development and strength... kid is 19.

It's as valid as gushing over his scoring.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to take a lot to convince PG to stay in OKC.....it would be shocking if he stayed, not just because I'm a Laker fan either, but because he's been so ADAMANT about wanting to play for the Lakers....

My bold prediction on this is that the only way PG stays in OKC is if Westbrook is able to help the game become easier for PG where he starts distributing more. Given last season, it was understandable why Russ had to be so ball dominant. But this was the knock on him while Durant was in OKC. The only way I could see PG staying in OKC with Russ is if they make the WCF and are competitive with the Dubs. Anything short of that and he's likely in LA in 2018.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC may be a great place to play.....I loved the college type atmosphere but most pros also consider other things.....like the city itself.....Los Angeles trumps OKC in that regard.

And I realize they haven't been chosen in a few years but I think things are starting to turn the proverbial corner for the Lakers with Magic, Pelinka, Ball, and Ingram.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like anything you type about the Lakers isn't a comparison to your Sixers, lol. You're very transparent.

Just remember how critical you were over two summer league games when/if Simmons plays some regular season games and can't/won't shoot. Glass houses.

The criticism of Lonzo's shot has nothing to do with the Summer League games. Many people, including myself, didn't like his shot mechanics coming out of college. It's not surprising that he'd have some struggles with it in his first game against professional opponents.

And no, I don't try to compare the 76ers to the Lakers (although sometimes it's inevitable when sensitive Lakers fans try to defend the Lakers by comparing them to the 76ers.)

The Lakers and 76ers are in very similar situations, so a certain amount of comparison is inevitable and fans on both sides are doing it, even when it isn't necessary.

So how about we stop with the "sensitive Lakers fans" and "sensitive 76ers fans" bullshit.

Lakers fans are happy with their roster and the direction the team is heading. They have young guys who need to continue to develop and are going to have their share of young guy mistakes and also show flashes of why they were drafted high. As long as they continue to work and improve, the mistakes will become fewer and the flashes will become trends.

76ers fans also have reason to be happy with their roster and the direction of their team. However, they have no more reason to be excited than Lakers fans do. If they can stay healthy, which seems like a big if, they have a good chance of making the playoffs considering the state of the East.

Making the playoffs in the East doesn't necessarily mean the 76ers have a better roster, it may well just mean that they play in a far worse conference. It also doesn't mean they don't have a better roster than the Lakers if they can get and keep everyone healthy.

As of now, predicting anything for either team is pretty stupid and fans of both teams need to stop embarrassing themselves trying to be the tallest midget.