• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I knew his production dropped off a bit. But all of that for Justin Hamilton just seems like a bad trade. Additionally, although Carroll dropped a bit, he's only making $14-$15 mil per year and had two years left on his contract.

Saves them an $18 million dollar tax payment (on top of his $15 million salary). Plus gives them some flexibility to sign or trade for someone going into 2018-2019.

The trade of DeMarre Carroll to Brooklyn will save the Raptors $30M this season. Carroll was owed $14.8M and the Toronto before the trade had a $18M tax bill. The Raptors are currently $900K below the tax with 14 players under contract. Toronto in 2018-19 now has $112M in salary, $11M below the luxury tax.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't his overall skill as much as it is his style of play. I have discussed at length why Westbrook and others like him are so difficult to play with. Lonzo Ball is the opposite of that. It is a good thing. Any scorer wants to team up with a PG who is constantly looking to get them the ball in favorable scoring opportunities. That is what Ball does.

Yeah -- I don't think superstars are going to care about that. They'll want money and an opportunity to win. The Lakers will have money but they need to convince people they can win too. That requires, imo, a major leap forward by Ingram or two star players colluding to both join LA, or both.

So it's possible. I'm just not sure it'll happen.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and was largely ignored in favor of the Tatum hype machine. I guess getting matched by a late 1st rounder doesn't drive the fanbase enough?

I'd take Tatum over him but he has some potential to develop.....he had one really good game while Tatum has had several quality performances this summer.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and was largely ignored in favor of the Tatum hype machine. I guess getting matched by a late 1st rounder doesn't drive the fanbase enough?
Tatum has shown gobs of potential during Summer League... not sure it's a good idea to take a stab at him, doesn't help whatever point you're making.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- I don't think superstars are going to care about that. They'll want money and an opportunity to win. The Lakers will have money but they need to convince people they can win too. That requires, imo, a major leap forward by Ingram or two star players colluding to both join LA, or both.

I disagree 100%

Lonzo Ball paired with legit superstars will be a winning combo because he makes teammates better. Lakers have money. Now they also have a path to winning again.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the link. Wasn't aware of their cap situation. I guess I can see the reasoning for the trade.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree 100%

Lonzo Ball paired with legit superstars will be a winning combo because he makes teammates better. Lakers have money. Now they also have a path to winning again.

Yeah, I don't think stars are going to be dying to play with Lonzo. I guess we'll see.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think stars are going to be dying to play with Lonzo. I guess we'll see.

We will.

It is simple really.

If you were an elite scorer, who would you rather play with? Jason Kidd or Russell Westbrook? Do you want to team with a guy who moves the ball or one who dominates it?

It is an easy choice. In an era where star players need to team up to be relevant, they will be lining up to play with a PG like Lonzo (wings and bigs especially) because there just are not many like him out there. Most of the other top PGs today are score first.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will.

It is simple really.

If you were an elite scorer, who would you rather play with? Jason Kidd or Russell Westbrook? Do you want to team with a guy who moves the ball or one who dominates it?

It is an easy choice. In an era where star players need to team up to be relevant, they will be lining up to play with a PG like Lonzo (wings and bigs especially) because there just are not many like him out there. Most of the other top PGs today are score first.

I'd pick Kidd.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the link. Wasn't aware of their cap situation. I guess I can see the reasoning for the trade.

People often just see the salary number, but forget to factor in the tax penalties.
Of course it's not a factor for Dan "deep pockets" Gilbert.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ball doesn't have to be a superstar.....if he averages say 11-12ppg, 7apg, and 5rpg that will be nice....plus Magic is well known in the league and will be a draw for some FA's.....I know it's summer league but Ingram looks like he's ready to take that leap....

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Minny did more than Houston.....they added a legit star in Butler, a couple solid starters in Gibson and Teague plus a solid 6th man off the bench in Crawford....plus they already have Towns and Wiggins......

CP and Harden are going to have figure out how to share the ball in the clutch.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will.

It is simple really.

Very excellent point.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was stupid. I find it hard to believe Embiid is the only player to use a curse word on his social media. Heck I saw Waiters use one when someone said THJ is better than him. BS fine if you ask me

Agree. If they're going to fine him, fine him for starting a pissing match with Lavar, but not for cussing on social media.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I thought I couldn't have less respect for him.

Wiggy is like an onion of douchebaggery. Layer after layer.

laughingsmiley.gif

Did wiggy actually show up in a NBA thread recently?