• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks got Clippers' 2018 first rounder in a three-way trade yesterday.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow!! That's worse news than Bosh's blood clots. Sorry, Heat fans. Things were really looking promising too. :rip:

Nah.
@WiggyRuss will tell us how we overpaid for Dion and now he'll get lazy(like Whiteside).
That just might be good enough to merit him all star consideration.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is it will happen with the quickness.

everything that is currently playing out makes me think that LeBron returned to Cleveland for 2 reasons. To bring the championship to Cleveland, and exact revenge on Dan Gilbert at the same time.

Gilbert is a cheapskate. It shows in his dealings with Griffin/Billups and other non-players affiliated with the Cavs. It must be absolutely killing him to have the highest payroll in the league. LeBron played a large role in orchestrating that by demanding large over-market deals for TT and JR.

I do believe @TJL about the racist email story, but I am betting that LeBron is asking Woj to break it right before free agency next season. At that time, LeBron will get a free pass to leave and Gilbert's reputation will be completely ruined. The Cavs roster will be dismantled shortly after.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak for other Lakers fans but, as currently constructed, the Lakers absolute ceiling this season is 41 wins.

To do that, Ball has to have a very short learning curve, Randle has to continue the steady improvement he has shown every year, Ingram has to make a big jump, Lopez has to fit in seamlessly (and stay healthy). Guys like Zubac, Nance and Clarkson have to continue to improve as well.

It would also help if they can land another good vet on a 1 year deal (like Crawford if he gets bought out by the Hawks).

All things considered, I think they end up in the 30-35 win range.

Honestly, I do not really care about the actual number of LAL wins.
Just be good enough so the pick doesn't convey to BOS and we get the 6th or 7th pick.... win/win!!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to play for rings, he's not leaving the East, right?
If he left the Cavs, where's he going?

:noidea:

But do you really think he stays in Cleveland with what's going on? As interesting as this off-season has been, next off-season is looking like it's going to be ridiculous.

Unless KD or Steph go down (mostly KD) and are unavailable for the finals, he's not winning any titles for at least the next couple of seasons, no matter where he goes. Maybe he realizes that?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything that is currently playing out makes me think that LeBron returned to Cleveland for 2 reasons. To bring the championship to Cleveland, and exact revenge on Dan Gilbert at the same time.

Gilbert is a cheapskate. It shows in his dealings with Griffin/Billups and other non-players affiliated with the Cavs. It must be absolutely killing him to have the highest payroll in the league. LeBron played a large role in orchestrating that by demanding large over-market deals for TT and JR.

I do believe @TJL about the racist email story, but I am betting that LeBron is asking Woj to break it right before free agency next season. At that time, LeBron will get a free pass to leave and Gilbert's reputation will be completely ruined. The Cavs roster will be dismantled shortly after.

Not only that, if James leaves, the value of the franchises crashes drastically.
So, even though, at this point, he might show paper losses because of luxury taxes, it has to be offset because of how the value of the franchise increased.
Gilbert obviously has to know that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:

But do you really think he stays in Cleveland with what's going on? As interesting as this off-season has been, next off-season is looking like it's going to be ridiculous.

Unless KD or Steph go down (mostly KD) and are unavailable for the finals, he's not winning any titles for at least the next couple of seasons, no matter where he goes. Maybe he realizes that?

That's what I'm thinking.
He'll move on from the ring or bust thing and focus and the next phase of his life.
If that's the case, then Lakers probably win.
Plus, his oldest son isn't far from high school ball.
You know he's going to make sure he's in an elite place for that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not only that, if James leaves, the value of the franchises crashes drastically.
So, even though, at this point, he might show paper losses because of luxury taxes, it has to be offset because of how the value of the franchise increased.
Gilbert obviously has to know that.

Talk about "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

If that were to happen, Lebron would have brought a title to the fans of Cleveland (securing his status with Cleveland fans) and then left the franchise and Gilbert's reputation in ruins on his way out the door.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking.
He'll move on from the ring or bust thing and focus and the next phase of his life.
If that's the case, then Lakers probably win.
Plus, his oldest son isn't far from high school ball.
You know he's going to make sure he's in an elite place for that.

There have been "Lebron to the Lakers" rumors practically since he joined the league. This is the first time that I think there could actually be some substance to them.

With what the Warriors have put together, he knows he's boxed in and isn't getting a title for a season or 2. He's said to like the Lakers young roster, owns a home in LA and is very aware of his legacy.

Perhaps there is some truth to the he and PG going to the Lakers together next off-season rumors? It would still take a season or 2 for the Lakers to truly have a shot at getting past the Warriors. But at 35-36, while he isn't likely to be the Lebron we see now, he should be good enough to be a contributor on a contending team. Getting credit for returning a storied franchise to contender status would be a boost to his legacy.

Plus, from everything I've read and heard, he wants to be like Magic and Kobe when it comes to his post basketball career and he'd have daily access to them to see how they've done it.

Not holding my breath for any of it, but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility out of hand like I have before when those rumors have started.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see him moving his family there.

Yeah that'd be the one hang up. Having lived there, the family would have to sacrifice. Only reason they're in Cleveland is because they're from Ohio.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Just reported on ESPN that the Cavs first offer to Chauncey was $1.5 mil. Then, when Chauncey said no, they upped it to $2 mil.

So, they insult him with the 1st offer and flip him off with the second. :pound:

Apparently, that's SOP for Gilbert though, because they also said that Griffin was being paid just under $2 mil.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.
@WiggyRuss will tell us how we overpaid for Dion and now he'll get lazy(like Whiteside).
That just might be good enough to merit him all star consideration.
When you are a team that is rebuilding, that's pretty much what you have to do though - Look at Nick Young former player for the Lakers - He ran to the Warriors and he has very little talent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are a team that is rebuilding, that's pretty much what you have to do though - Look at Nick Young former player for the Lakers - He ran to the Warriors and he has very little talent.

...and Lakers fans rejoiced. I was ecstatic when he opted out this year. Apparently the Warriors were in the market for a 2nd/3rd team shooter.