• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle did make the All-NBA No-Defense Second Team. IT was the POY on the first team.

It is shocking how bad Wiggins' defense is. If he can't play good defense with Thibs -- it's on him. (he got worse last year under Thibs)

The 2017 NBA No-Defense Player of the Year: Isaiah Thomas

A big part of Randle's problem on defense was that the Lakers were terrible at perimeter defense and he's not a rim protector (arms are too short). He found himself as the last line of defense against guys running unchecked to the basket far too often.

He's never going to be on the All Defensive Team or ever be a rim protector, but he's athletic enough that he does ok man to man and I expect will continue to improve as he gets farther into his career.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,691.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Lakers REALLY want him, then they are the ones most messing up if they don't trade for him now.
Obviously PG wants to go to L.A. now or another team that potentially can win this year.
If he goes to the Cavs, Rockets, or wherever and that team happens to win, is he really leaving?
Also, not Cleveland, but it's possible he lives a year in one of several cities and could really find out he's happy there.

Exactly. I'd trade Ingram and another piece to get him now.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,691.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A big part of Randle's problem on defense was that the Lakers were terrible at perimeter defense and he's not a rim protector (arms are too short). He found himself as the last line of defense against guys running unchecked to the basket far too often.

He's never going to be on the All Defensive Team or ever be a rim protector, but he's athletic enough that he does ok man to man and I expect will continue to improve as he gets farther into his career.

Yeah....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilbon is good imo.

Better than most for sure. Most of his opinions tend to be a little too old school though, which is understandable. I like Windhorst too, mainly because he stays in his lane and doesn't often talk about things he doesn't know.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Ball but don't see what everybody else does with Ingram. When I saw him play last season I was generally disappointed.

I think Ingram will be fine. Part of the issue last year was that the Lakers were bringing him along slowly. They played him a lot of minutes, but really didn't give him much responsibility.

By the end of the season, they were turning him loose a little more and he actually played pretty well. Started showing some flashes of why the Lakers took him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilbon is good imo.

I dislike Wilbon.

Stems back from when Sean Taylor was murdered. Wilbon assumed that since he was from Miami that it was gang related.

Turned out that later on it was a friend of his sister's that had stopped by his house and basically scoped his place out before robbing it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ingram will be fine. Part of the issue last year was that the Lakers were bringing him along slowly. They played him a lot of minutes, but really didn't give him much responsibility.

By the end of the season, they were turning him loose a little more and he actually played pretty well. Started showing some flashes of why the Lakers took him.

He is also just a kid. The talent is there. I bet he is as good or better than George by the end of PG's next contract.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is also just a kid. The talent is there. I bet he is as good or better than George by the end of PG's next contract.

Agree.

Interestingly, him eventually being as good as PG is part of the "logic" that some in the media out here are using to justify including him in the offer for PG.

I heard a guy say, "So, the Lakers are hoping he'll be as good as PG eventually. You know who's as good as PG right now? PG."

To me, that's a bit shortsighted.

If they can get PG next off season (while Ingram gets another year to develop), the Lakers can possibly have PG and Ingram.

After all, What's better than 1 PG? 2 of him.

If they don't get him, they seem to be at a point where FA's are starting to show some real interest again and seem to like the direction they are headed. So, they should be able to get someone.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Interestingly, him eventually being as good as PG is part of the "logic" that some in the media out here are using to justify including him in the offer for PG.

I heard a guy say, "So, the Lakers are hoping he'll be as good as PG eventually. You know who's as good as PG right now? PG."

To me, that's a bit shortsighted.

If they can get PG next off season (while Ingram gets another year to develop), the Lakers can possibly have PG and Ingram.

After all, What's better than 1 PG? 2 of him.

If they don't get him, they seem to be at a point where FA's are starting to show some real interest again and seem to like the direction they are headed. So, they should be able to get someone.

Just curious -- what makes you say that?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it.

The only other packages I have seen are picks from Denver or Utah. Neither of those scenarios come close to what Boston can offer, even without the Nets pick.

Will Danny actually offer those big picks though? For someone who could walk?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Lakers REALLY want him, then they are the ones most messing up if they don't trade for him now.
Obviously PG wants to go to L.A. now or another team that potentially can win this year.
If he goes to the Cavs, Rockets, or wherever and that team happens to win, is he really leaving?
Also, not Cleveland, but it's possible he lives a year in one of several cities and could really find out he's happy there.

It doesn't have to be Paul George for the Lakers. If he doesn't come to LA next summer, they'll find another target. To throw all of your assets at one player that could come for free is what gets you stuck in mediocrity like the Knicks.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious -- what makes you say that?

The fact that they are being included in real discussions about possible FA destinations.

When they had Short Buss and Mitch, no FA's were really taking them seriously. Especially after LaMarcus Aldridge criticized their pitch by saying they never discussed the on the court product.

Magic and Pelinka, despite their inexperience, seem to have a good plan for improving and based on some of the talk out there, players appear to be noticing.

They appear to finally understand that walking into the room and saying "We're the Lakers, here's our offer, sign here" is no longer going to work. They actually have to show that they have a plan that makes sense.

They have a coach that players want to play for and are running an offense that players want to play in. They also have some good young talent that could be good for quite awhile.

Being in LA still helps as well. Again, it's no longer enough that they are in LA, but, all things being equal, it does still help enough to tip the scales their way.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Danny actually offer those big picks though? For someone who could walk?

He will offer the Lakers/Kings pick. Not the Nets. At least he shouldn't. Nobody else comes close to that value in a PG offer.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a million rumors being tossed out for digestion here in New England. The biggest single hang-up is that Gordon Hayward is going to be in Miami tomorrow to talk with Pat Reilly. The Heat are going to try to sell him on a great climate and a no Income Tax state. Hayward will talk to Boston and Utah on Monday. He's narrowed his decision to those three teams.

Indianapolis is getting extremely fidigity. If Hayward goes back to Utah or decides to go Miami, Boston is reportedly out on Paul Gorge. WEEI Radio is reporting that Indy has gone looking for three team deal to keep the haul somewhat near what Boston has offered.

Wednesday night Indy supposedly contacted Ainge and told him they wanted to change the deal because PG has been rumored to have agreed to sign a 3 year extension with the Celtics if they get Hayward. Indy said they wanted The 6ers pick, the Brooklyn pick and 3 starters for PG. Ainge told them to find someone else that Boston was out if they tried to change the deal.

WEEI was saying this morning that there is so much chatter out there, that it's becoming harder and harder to verify anything and that the most reliable NBA guys are being very quiet. That means two things. 1. Nothing is going on. 2. They're sitting on everything until all the pieces are in place.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's basically averaged a double-double thus far into his career (12.2, 9.4) in 28 minutes per game.

He continues to improve too. If he can get to where he's a 16 and 10 guy, that will be plenty good enough for him to play a solid role on a winning team.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING NEWS: I have gone 10 minutes without hitting a refresh button today