• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be surprised if zbo is a warrior this offseason

I would be, only because I don't see a fit. He could give a few minutes at the 5, I guess, but they don't need a post scorer. They need their bigs to play defense.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be Bob Myers toughest challenge this year. He's going to have to revamp the majority of the roster with limited options to do so. There will be some ring chasers, but the hardest part will be determining which ones are worth it. They said DWest might be back on the vet minimum which is huge. Other than that, this off-season is going to be a crapshoot.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Hayward does sign with Boston when it's all said and done but my best guess is that after he meets with Riley tonight/tomorrow that he will walk out of that meeting thinking and wanting to be a member of the Miami Heat.

Does anyone know where Hayward meeting are taking place?
Gordon Hayward will take his first free-agent meeting with the Miami Heat on Saturday, a source told ESPN’s Jorge Sedano. Hayward will then be traveling Sunday to meet Utah on Monday, with Boston coming after that.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they are being included in real discussions about possible FA destinations.

When they had Short Buss and Mitch, no FA's were really taking them seriously. Especially after LaMarcus Aldridge criticized their pitch by saying they never discussed the on the court product.

Magic and Pelinka, despite their inexperience, seem to have a good plan for improving and based on some of the talk out there, players appear to be noticing.

They appear to finally understand that walking into the room and saying "We're the Lakers, here's our offer, sign here" is no longer going to work. They actually have to show that they have a plan that makes sense.

They have a coach that players want to play for and are running an offense that players want to play in. They also have some good young talent that could be good for quite awhile.

Being in LA still helps as well. Again, it's no longer enough that they are in LA, but, all things being equal, it does still help enough to tip the scales their way.

When?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George is still telling his friends he’s joining the Lakers in 2018

While the Pacers posture for the right deal, George is apparently still making it clear his plan is to join the Lakers in the summer of 2018, reports Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times:

According to people not authorized to speak publicly, George, a Palmdale native, is still telling friends that he intends to be a Laker in 2018. Because of that, he knows the Lakers have little incentive to trade for him now.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's where things start to get dicey. I get waiting and all if you're LA. On the flip side though, winning helps cope with shitty cities (see Love and Cleveland). If Boston gets Gordon Heyward, then Paul George then it's safe to say that they'll be in solid contention status and George may value winning above all else instead of the sandy beaches of Los Angeles.
Did you see the Wizard rumor?

Otto in a sign and trade.

@tlance thoughts on that rental?

Boston faces more varied competition for George. The Wizards would likely sign-and-trade Otto Porter, with one protected pick attached, to rent George,according to league sources.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not as good of a deal as Boston has offered... that Washington pick (protected, no less) will probably be meh.
Not likely that George gets traded - Boston says their trade suggestions are not realistic - they want both the Lakers first round 2018 pick and some others along with players.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely that George gets traded - Boston says their trade suggestions are not realistic - they want both the Lakers first round 2018 pick and some others along with players.
Perhaps... but trading usually takes some wrangling, some back-and-forth... I don't think Indiana proposing counter-offers necessarily means a deal is out.

Indiana is on the hot seat here. If they don't trade PG now... when are they ever going to get a better chance to get something reasonable in return? The whole world already knows they aren't resigning George...

... so they better get to it now.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Heatles84 , @TurnUpTheHeat , @bksballer89 ...

This is crazy, huh?

But Ibaka long has held a fascination for the Heat because of an offensive game that takes opposing defenders to the perimeter, and a defensive game capable of deterrence at the rim. Ibaka was dealt from the Orlando Magic to the Toronto Raptors at midseason, with the Raptors allowed to exceed the salary cap to re-sign Ibaka because of the Bird Rights that accompanied him in his trades from the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Magic and then to the Raptors.

Zach Lowe: “As uncomfortable as it is to say that, the league, not the league office, teams believe that (Serge Ibaka) is older than his listed age. Whether he is or not, and what are the ethical issues of saying that, I don’t know, but it affects the free agency market for him.”

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so far, I really like the Lakers approach. I was a little worried that, due to their inexperience, they may panic and end up giving up Ball and/or Ingram to get PG. Especially with some of the media out here saying they should at least up their offer to include Ingram.
Having his Bird rights would be fantastic.

But, not at the cost of Ingram.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is crazy, huh?

But Ibaka long has held a fascination for the Heat because of an offensive game that takes opposing defenders to the perimeter, and a defensive game capable of deterrence at the rim. Ibaka was dealt from the Orlando Magic to the Toronto Raptors at midseason, with the Raptors allowed to exceed the salary cap to re-sign Ibaka because of the Bird Rights that accompanied him in his trades from the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Magic and then to the Raptors.

Zach Lowe: “As uncomfortable as it is to say that, the league, not the league office, teams believe that (Serge Ibaka) is older than his listed age. Whether he is or not, and what are the ethical issues of saying that, I don’t know, but it affects the free agency market for him.”

I'll pass lol.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps... but trading usually takes some wrangling, some back-and-forth... I don't think Indiana proposing counter-offers necessarily means a deal is out.

Indiana is on the hot seat here. If they don't trade PG now... when are they ever going to get a better chance to get something reasonable in return? The whole world already knows they aren't resigning George...

... so they better get to it now.
The other teams aren't stupid and will wait for the price to go down. I think eventually PG will agree to a long term deal to the team he is about to be traded to - in order to get traded to a contender. I also think that his statement about going to the Lakers was a lot of smoke, screens and mirrors to make his point. I had my doubts about his seriousness of his statements from the beginning though until he agreed to sign a long term deal with the Celtics. Then any doubt about his statements was over - I knew for a fact he wasn't serious about the Lakers.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Ball but don't see what everybody else does with Ingram. When I saw him play last season I was generally disappointed.
Funny, you and I see this the opposite way.

I'd likely trade Ball first.

Pg is the hardest position in the NBA for rookies, historically.

Factor in the likes of Steph, Dame, Kyrie, Paul, Wall, Kemba, Conley, Dragic, Bledsoe, Westbrook, Lowry...etc

Ball is gonna have a tough matchup nightly.

Sure, SF position is hell too.

Durant, Kawhi, Lebron, Melo, George...

But, George would be on your team and Lebron and Durant will be long in the tooth by the time Ingram was ready.

Ball would have about 7 years to play against alot of those guys on the pg list.

In short, I'd rather sign a Teague or Hill type, while keeping Ingram..

Over keeping Ball and being stuck with Deng.

Luckily, your front office seems smarter than both of us and won't sacrifice either for a guy they'll get for free in a year.

#Patience

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is crazy, huh?

It would make sense. I'm not sure if it's the change in offensive philosophy going to Donnovan then to Toronto. But his play has diminished which is odd given that he's turning 28 in September (supposedly).

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is crazy, huh?

I liked Ibaka a lot more 2 years ago then I do now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Wizard rumor?

Otto in a sign and trade.

@tlance thoughts on that rental?

Boston faces more varied competition for George. The Wizards would likely sign-and-trade Otto Porter, with one protected pick attached, to rent George,according to league sources.

Not sure.

I think they might pass on Otto anyway. I guess a year rental for PG13 is better than letting Otto walk. But, I don't think they would be very likely to keep George long term. I am also not sure how much better he makes the team. Otto fit well and didn't need the ball. He often went long stretches without touching it. That won't cut it for PG13.

Wizards with George are probably better than Boston without significant upgrades and they would have a puncher's chance against Cleveland, but little to no shot against GS.

So, I am okay with it. Don't see it as the best option for Indiana though.