• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Lakers REALLY want him, then they are the ones most messing up if they don't trade for him now.
Obviously PG wants to go to L.A. now or another team that potentially can win this year.
If he goes to the Cavs, Rockets, or wherever and that team happens to win, is he really leaving?
Also, not Cleveland, but it's possible he lives a year in one of several cities and could really find out he's happy there.

Yeah, that's where things start to get dicey. I get waiting and all if you're LA. On the flip side though, winning helps cope with shitty cities (see Love and Cleveland). If Boston gets Gordon Heyward, then Paul George then it's safe to say that they'll be in solid contention status and George may value winning above all else instead of the sandy beaches of Los Angeles.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know exactly what it means. It means a guy left a team for a team that just won a record amount of games after he had them down 3-1 and choked it off. Anything there not true Mr Dictionary?

Then you could use the exact same line for Westbrook minus the leaving part.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Lakers REALLY want him, then they are the ones most messing up if they don't trade for him now.
Obviously PG wants to go to L.A. now or another team that potentially can win this year.
If he goes to the Cavs, Rockets, or wherever and that team happens to win, is he really leaving?
Also, not Cleveland, but it's possible he lives a year in one of several cities and could really find out he's happy there.

It isn't a question of whether they want him. If they match the Celtics' price, they will have gutted their entire roster to do so. Does Paul George + Brook Lopez sound good to you?

The whole point is to pair George with Ball and Ingram, then add another big FA later.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. My favorite concert that I've ever been to was back in the late 80's or early 90's. It was the Benson & Hedges Blues Festival.

It was an all day thing and had a lineup of BB King, Joe Cocker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Etta James, John Lee Hooker and several less known bands. A group of us got lawn seats because it was going to be an all day thing. Had an amazing time.

That sounds awesome. Back in the early 90's I went to the BB King Blue Festival multiple times. Saw countless lesser known blues acts, it was always a great time.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no idea what you are talking about, it wasn't just money that caused the Thunder to let Harden walk. I mean technically yeah they could have matched but he was a malcontent that wanted out. I can't believe anyone would still blame the Thunder for getting rid of Harden after seeing what he is all about. The Thunder knew it then obviously. He shrinks in big moments, wants to get to the strip club as soon as possible with whoever wants to go. Lot of talent but that's his game and it won't change. Just not a competitor.

So Presti says "they made significant offers", which means not max money, but you say they let him walk over his lack of talent, not money?

That makes zero sense.
If they didn't want him based on your perception, you don't offer him anything, right?
Let him walk. Take the cap space.

Look back at the trade.
Thunder got pretty much garbage unless one of those picks turned into something/someone that I can't think of.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a chance that, right now at least, the Lakers seem to be willing to take. Yes, they want PG, but not at the price that the Pacers are asking.

I'm actually a little surprised that a deal hasn't gotten done for PG yet and am starting to wonder if the Pacers are overplaying their hand a little bit. I think that once FA starts and teams start using their cap space, the Pacers could find themselves crawling back to the Lakers and having to accept whatever the Lakers feel like giving them.

Either way though, the Lakers seem intent on preserving and increasing their cap space for 2018. I just read where they are looking at it as sacred.

According to what I read, they haven't contacted any FA's and are going to look to get veteran players, especially those who can shoot from the perimeter and/or play defense, on 1 year deals, even if they have to pay more on the 1 year to get them.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't a question of whether they want him. If they match the Celtics' price, they will have gutted their entire roster to do so. Does Paul George + Brook Lopez sound good to you?

The whole point is to pair George with Ball and Ingram, then add another big FA later.

I get that, but it's still a risk IF they think James will go there next year.
That's what it boils down to.
PG isn't a game changer if he's going to be your true #1 surrounded by youth.
Pacers barely snuck in the playoffs this year.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a chance that, right now at least, the Lakers seem to be willing to take. Yes, they want PG, but not at the price that the Pacers are asking.

I'm actually a little surprised that a deal hasn't gotten done for PG yet and am starting to wonder if the Pacers are overplaying their hand a little bit. I think that once FA starts and teams start using their cap space, the Pacers could find themselves crawling back to the Lakers and having to accept whatever the Lakers feel like giving them.

Either way though, the Lakers seem intent on preserving and increasing their cap space for 2018. I just read where they are looking at it as sacred.

According to what I read, they haven't contacted any FA's and are going to look to get veteran players, especially those who can shoot from the perimeter and/or play defense, on 1 year deals, even if they have to pay more on the 1 year to get them.

That's exactly what Riley did for the Heat 2009 season.
He wasn't wasting 1 cap space dollar, hoping for exactly what happened to happen.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's exactly what Riley did for the Heat 2009 season.
He wasn't wasting 1 cap space dollar, hoping for exactly what happened to happen.

Yeah, so far, I really like the Lakers approach. I was a little worried that, due to their inexperience, they may panic and end up giving up Ball and/or Ingram to get PG. Especially with some of the media out here saying they should at least up their offer to include Ingram.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so far, I really like the Lakers approach. I was a little worried that, due to their inexperience, they may panic and end up giving up Ball and/or Ingram to get PG. Especially with some of the media out here saying they should at least up their offer to include Ingram.

Media has no clue.

I think it is hilarious to watch the talk shows on ESPN. Not so much where the basketball people who know what they are saying, but shows like Around the Horn, PTI, etc, where journalists end up talking basketball. Most know enough to be dangerous, but they lack key understanding for how the game works. Unfortunately, these journalists have a ton of influence because they shape public perception.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, you haven't seen Randle play if you think he's "just another role player." Additionally, the way the Cavs are using him, Love is just another role player and one that doesn't include defense in his role.
Love is a better shooter and better rebounder. Randle is more athletic, has better handles and plays better defense.
Love is better right now. But he's also as good as he's ever going to be. Randle projects to be a better all around player than Love.

Randle did make the All-NBA No-Defense Second Team. IT was the POY on the first team.

It is shocking how bad Wiggins' defense is. If he can't play good defense with Thibs -- it's on him. (he got worse last year under Thibs)

The 2017 NBA No-Defense Player of the Year: Isaiah Thomas

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the potential of Randle but comparing him to Love isnt really fair. They are two different kind of players. We saw Love put up 25 and 12 early in his career. Randle is a bruiser. Either way Love will be in Cleveland for awhile which is fine with me, he actually played much better this season.

I think Randle had 25 & 12 in one game ... sometime.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,691.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Media has no clue.

I think it is hilarious to watch the talk shows on ESPN. Not so much where the basketball people who know what they are saying, but shows like Around the Horn, PTI, etc, where journalists end up talking basketball. Most know enough to be dangerous, but they lack key understanding for how the game works. Unfortunately, these journalists have a ton of influence because they shape public perception.

Wilbon is good imo.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,691.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,691.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd keep Ball but don't see what everybody else does with Ingram. When I saw him play last season I was generally disappointed.