• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't he return for the playoffs?

But would that be a good idea? He's never played for the club. Inserting him into the rotation could throw all sorts of things awry. Maybe Stevens can work his magic and do it but it would be pretty risky.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, the Lakers aren't going to win 40 games and I'll be surprised if they win 35. I don't believe wins are going to be a deciding factor.

I want the Lakers to win X number of games, where X equals the number of wins where the Lakers wind up with the 6th worst record.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the Lakers to win X number of games, where X equals the number of wins where the Lakers wind up with the 6th worst record.

worst record is still possible although that only gives them a 25% of the top pick.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of screens set on the game winner last night lol. My god

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would that be a good idea? He's never played for the club. Inserting him into the rotation could throw all sorts of things awry. Maybe Stevens can work his magic and do it but it would be pretty risky.
Hayward is a seasoned vet... it'd be an adjustment, certainly, but I don't think "risky" is the best description.

Really, there is almost no way to lose if/when Hayward is ready to play. The C's are already loaded at the wing with Brown/Tatum/Smart/Morris... but the offensive punch of a Gordon Hayward could really take the C's to the next level. The C's would have depth and balance for days... and perhaps their biggest weakness (namely: bench scoring) would be resolved.

What is already a top defense in the league would potentially be paired with a top offense... Golden State-esque.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayward is a seasoned vet... it'd be an adjustment, certainly, but I don't think "risky" is the best description.

Really, there is almost no way to lose if/when Hayward is ready to play. The C's are already loaded at the wing with Brown/Tatum/Smart/Morris... but the offensive punch of a Gordon Hayward could really take the C's to the next level.

What is already a top defense in the league would potentially be paired with a top offense... Golden State-esque.

You realize you only get to play 2 of them at the same time, right? You don't have both a great defense and great offense because you have two guys who play the same position on the team.

If Hayward comes back he is taking minutes away from Brown/Tatum/Smart/Morris.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize you only get to play 2 of them at the same time, right?
Not the way the C's play... I would expect 3 out of the 5 of Brown/Tatum/Smart/Morris/Hayward to be on the floor together the good majority of the time.
flyerhawk said:
You don't have both a great defense and great offense because you have two guys who play the same position on the team.
Perhaps the C's biggest strength is that they've embraced versatility and almost positionless basketball as much as any team this side of Golden State.

Their defense is as strong as it is primarily because they can switch on screens and versus the pick n'roll as well as any team in the NBA.
flyerhawk said:
If Hayward comes back he is taking minutes away from Brown/Tatum/Smart/Morris.
To some extent, but maybe not as much as you seem to think.

The C's have had to give a fair bit of minutes to guys like Abdel Nader and Semi Ojeleye at the wing... some of that due to other injuries... but some of it legitimately with the goal of keeping the team fresh.

I understand that rosters get pared down when it comes to playoff time... but this would be a good problem to have, not a worry... and (again) it potentially solves the C's biggest weakness thus far (bench scoring).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Waiters is out for the Season?

Not officially but not expecting him back. He is supposedly went for a 2nd opinion last week. Been no update since.

Will be surprised if he comes back. Waiting patiently for the news that he finally having ankle surgery.

Dumb fuck should have done it at the end of last year. Would have been back by Christmas

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To some extent, but maybe not as much as you seem to think.

The C's have had to give a fair bit of minutes to guys like Abdel Nader and Semi Ojeleye at the wing... some of that due to other injuries... but some of it legitimately with the goal of keeping the team fresh.

I understand that rosters get pared down when it comes to playoff time... but this would be a good problem to have, not a worry... and (again) it potentially solves the C's biggest weakness thus far (bench scoring).

There is no question that Hayward improves the team. However having him come back from injury and inserting him into the lineup in the playoffs changes how your team works. This isn't some role playing sub you will spot in randomly. It will be expected that he gets significant minutes especially if the Celtics struggle at all. I just don't see how that makes any sense at all. Teams spend the entire season trying to find out what rotations work and what don't. Experimenting in the playoffs seems like a really bad idea to me.

I can't think of a similar example of that happening.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't want to mess up this chemistry.

Remember when the Magic did that with Jameer Nelson?

Rafer Alston went straight into the toilet and their chemistry went up in smoke at the worst possible time.

The NBA finals.