• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet the rumors persist and it seems like most experts think that's what's going to happen.

I don't know what PG is going to do, but, at this point, it doesn't seem that likely that he stays in OKC.

It's interesting that you claim that people are making a HUGE assumption if they assume Lebron's going to the Lakers, but not a huge assumption if they assume he isn't. Despite the rumors and many experts thinking that's what he'll do.

I don't think the Lakers have to "turn things around in a big way" to land Lebron, PG or anyone else. The Lakers have made no secret that this season is about development, not wins. What they want for this season, is for the team to develop, be competitive and fun to watch. They have been. If they could hit a damn free throw, they'd likely have at least 4-5 more wins.

It's pretty obvious watching them that they are a couple of players, either through acquisitions or development, away from being a contending team. I think the max players that are expected to be available this summer know that and know that they would be the ones to make them contenders again. In a league where players are concerned about their "legacies" that's not nothing.

Does this mean that the Lakers are getting Lebron, PG or anyone else this summer? Of course not. The Lakers have a lot of work to do to even get themselves in position to be able to fit 2 max FA's under the cap. From what I've read, they've all but given up on the idea of trading Deng's contract and Deng would be a fool to let them buy him out because he would lose too much money. That's going to make creating the cap space even more tricky.

Also, the Lakers are a very young team, so there's always the possibility that the losing combined with all of the rumors re: the status of different players could cause the team to implode. Something like that would no doubt turn off max FA's.

And none of that is even taking into consideration that the Cavs could try to make a move that lands them a player or 2 that gives them a better shot at titles (thus enticing Lebron to stay) or OKC getting things figured out well enough to entice PG to stay.

In summation a lot of superstars have huge egos thinking they are the missing piece to making a once proud franchise a contender again.

That was a Wiggy type novel.....LOL.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking we could be fine with just 1 max guy and use the rest of the cash (this summer or next maybe) on filling in other parts of the team that need work.

With the way things are done these days, it's hard to see a max player coming to the Lakers by himself. Maybe PG because I've never heard him talk about a "qualifier" of needing to see a certain number of wins and he talked about coming to the Lakers when no one knew if they had anything worth coming for or not. But if they get things figured out in OKC, he could very well decide to stay there.

I think this off season will be a bit of an "all or nothing" for the Lakers. They will either land 2 max players or none.

If they keep developing, I'm good with either outcome.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In summation a lot of superstars have huge egos thinking they are the missing piece to making a once proud franchise a contender again.

That was a Wiggy type novel.....LOL.

Except I forgot to write some of the words in all caps and say that anyone who disagrees is DELUSIONAL. lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet the rumors persist and it seems like most experts think that's what's going to happen.

I don't know what PG is going to do, but, at this point, it doesn't seem that likely that he stays in OKC.

It's interesting that you claim that people are making a HUGE assumption if they assume Lebron's going to the Lakers, but not a huge assumption if they assume he isn't. Despite the rumors and many experts thinking that's what he'll do.

I don't think the Lakers have to "turn things around in a big way" to land Lebron, PG or anyone else. The Lakers have made no secret that this season is about development, not wins. What they want for this season, is for the team to develop, be competitive and fun to watch. They have been. If they could hit a damn free throw, they'd likely have at least 4-5 more wins.

It's pretty obvious watching them that they are a couple of players, either through acquisitions or development, away from being a contending team. I think the max players that are expected to be available this summer know that and know that they would be the ones to make them contenders again. In a league where players are concerned about their "legacies" that's not nothing.

Does this mean that the Lakers are getting Lebron, PG or anyone else this summer? Of course not. The Lakers have a lot of work to do to even get themselves in position to be able to fit 2 max FA's under the cap. From what I've read, they've all but given up on the idea of trading Deng's contract and Deng would be a fool to let them buy him out because he would lose too much money. That's going to make creating the cap space even more tricky.

Also, the Lakers are a very young team, so there's always the possibility that the losing combined with all of the rumors re: the status of different players could cause the team to implode. Something like that would no doubt turn off max FA's.

And none of that is even taking into consideration that the Cavs could try to make a move that lands them a player or 2 that gives them a better shot at titles (thus enticing Lebron to stay) or OKC getting things figured out well enough to entice PG to stay.

I think experts have to talk about something and speculation about Lebron's next destination is a perfectly good thing to talk about. Lebron has a lot of business ties in LA so there is a logic to him going there based on that.

Things could definitely turn around for the Lakers that will change the calculus. But if the Lakers wind up being a 25 win team, do you really think that Lebron is going to go there and hope that he can make Ball and Ingram and the other guys on the team contenders? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. IMO, he would sooner go to the Knicks if they could figure out how to get him under their messed up cap.

IMO, Lebron's priority is getting to a team that can get him to a finals that he can win. He only has a couple of more years of being a dominant player. So he's not going to go to a development environment.

Paul George is a different matter entirely.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way things are done these days, it's hard to see a max player coming to the Lakers by himself. Maybe PG because I've never heard him talk about a "qualifier" of needing to see a certain number of wins and he talked about coming to the Lakers when no one knew if they had anything worth coming for or not. But if they get things figured out in OKC, he could very well decide to stay there.

I think this off season will be a bit of an "all or nothing" for the Lakers. They will either land 2 max players or none.

If they keep developing, I'm good with either outcome.
Yeah if the Lakers get nothing and resigned Brook Lopez and kept what they have i think they will start making the playoffs next season and the drought will end

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think experts have to talk about something and speculation about Lebron's next destination is a perfectly good thing to talk about. Lebron has a lot of business ties in LA so there is a logic to him going there based on that.

And to be completely fair, a lot of the Lebron to the Lakers stuff seems to take that into consideration more than it probably should. Sure, it would be more convenient for him to be in LA with those business ties. But if he's got the right people overseeing them, it's not like he HAS to be there.

I'd add though, that, with maybe a couple of exceptions, they aren't just making stuff up out of thin air. The rumors are coming from somewhere. They don't name their sources, so who knows how credible they are. Also, it's not like we can just dismiss that it could be someone from the Lebron camp making sure that Lebron continues to be talked about and to keep Dan Gilbert on his toes. lol

Things could definitely turn around for the Lakers that will change the calculus. But if the Lakers wind up being a 25 win team, do you really think that Lebron is going to go there and hope that he can make Ball and Ingram and the other guys on the team contenders?

I think it depends on how they look over the course of the season. With what I've seen from the team so far, I think Lebron could absolutely look at them and know that he can make them a contender if another max guy comes with him.

I think Lebron is smart enough to see the difference between a 25 win team that is full of young players that play hard, learning the game, are competitive in almost every game and look like they just need a couple of guys to help lead them. And 25 win team that is just terrible and/or trying to collect lottery balls.

It's not as if he hasn't gone from a contender to a 25 win team before.

MO, he would sooner go to the Knicks if they could figure out how to get him under their messed up cap.

So, to you it makes sense that he would go to a team with arguably the worst owner since Sterling?

IMO, Lebron's priority is getting to a team that can get him to a finals that he can win. He only has a couple of more years of being a dominant player. So he's not going to go to a development environment.

Again, it would depend on what they show the rest of the way and who, if anyone, would be
coming with him. He's definitely not coming by himself. So, the first thing the Lakers have to do is create enough space to add 2 max FA's. If they do that, it'll be about who the other guy is and whether or not Lebron thinks they have enough.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah if the Lakers get nothing and resigned Brook Lopez and kept what they have i think they will start making the playoffs next season and the drought will end

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they kept Lopez or KCP. They aren't the level of player that the Lakers are looking for and I'd be surprised if either of them are interested in another 1 year deal.

In fact, I don't think it would too surprising to see either one or both moved to a playoff caliber team before the trade deadline.

More likely would be that, if they don't land any max players, they sign a couple of Lopez/KCP level guys to 1 year contracts and try again after next season when they can, hopefully, unload Deng's entire contract rather than just stretch him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be completely fair, a lot of the Lebron to the Lakers stuff seems to take that into consideration more than it probably should. Sure, it would be more convenient for him to be in LA with those business ties. But if he's got the right people overseeing them, it's not like he HAS to be there.

I'd add though, that, with maybe a couple of exceptions, they aren't just making stuff up out of thin air. The rumors are coming from somewhere. They don't name their sources, so who knows how credible they are. Also, it's not like we can just dismiss that it could be someone from the Lebron camp making sure that Lebron continues to be talked about and to keep Dan Gilbert on his toes. lol

I think the Lakers are a definite possible landing spot provided that Lebron thinks he can win with that team. But there are several teams that have their own arguments for why Lebron is going there.

I think it depends on how they look over the course of the season. With what I've seen from the team so far, I think Lebron could absolutely look at them and know that he can make them a contender if another max guy comes with him.

I think Lebron is smart enough to see the difference between a 25 win team that is full of young players that play hard, learning the game, are competitive in almost every game and look like they just need a couple of guys to help lead them. And 25 win team that is just terrible and/or trying to collect lottery balls.

It's not as if he hasn't gone from a contender to a 25 win team before.

Coming back to the Cavs was a bit different. First off he was still in his prime and they already had what appeared to be a marquee superstar talent in Kyrie and another All-Star likely to come in.

Right now, as the article points out, the Lakers don't have a marque superstar talent. Maybe Ingram or Ball can become that but they aren't there yet and haven't shown that they could be. So, IMO, for Lebron to come to LA one of those guys really needs to step up and show that sort of talent. Which is possible but hasn't happened yet.

So, to you it makes sense that he would go to a team with arguably the worst owner since Sterling?

Lebron is familiar with lunatic owners. Dolan would be a saint compared to Gilbert.

Again, it would depend on what they show the rest of the way and who, if anyone, would be
coming with him. He's definitely not coming by himself. So, the first thing the Lakers have to do is create enough space to add 2 max FA's. If they do that, it'll be about who the other guy is and whether or not Lebron thinks they have enough.

If the Lakers turn it around in the 2nd half and wind up with 35-40 wins could definitely change things.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Thunder for messing up my parlay. All you had to do was win the game, not even cover the spread. I picked Miami money line and they held up.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat already down 5 bodies and this idiot James Johnson get himself ejected and likely is suspended for tomorrow.

Incredibly stupid.

Put the heat in a bad position tonight as well.

But at least he didn't choke Ibaka out with his MMA. You could see after he swung, he straight up was like "ok, I gotta hold back here..."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think . the Lakers are a definite possible landing spot provided that Lebron thinks he can win with that team. But there are several teams that have their own arguments for why Lebron is going there.

True, But whether folks like it or not, there is something different about doing it with the Lakers. Lebron knows this.

Coming back to the Cavs was a bit different. First off he was still in his prime and they already had what appeared to be a marquee superstar talent in Kyrie and another All-Star likely to come in.

Right now, as the article points out, the Lakers don't have a marque superstar talent. Maybe Ingram or Ball can become that but they aren't there yet and haven't shown that they could be. So, IMO, for Lebron to come to LA one of those guys really needs to step up and show that sort of talent. Which is possible but hasn't happened yet.

Not so different. He'd have another max guy coming with him (as I said, he's not coming by himself) and between Ingram, Ball, Kuzma and Nance...the Lakers have a very solid young core.

Ingram has improved a lot over last year. Assuming similar improvement from this year to next, he'll be pretty much right on schedule. For Lonzo, he just needs to keep pushing the ball and making the offense fun to play in. Also, they've both shown flashes of what they could be.

Because of Luke's system (which fits Lebrons skills perfectly), I don't expect anyone on the team to have eye popping stats because it's about moving the ball and spreading the wealth, so to speak.

Lebron is familiar with lunatic owners. Dolan would be a saint compared to Gilbert.

A. No he wouldn't. Dolan makes Gilbert look like a genius.
B. Lebron may have had his fill of lunatic owners.

If the Lakers turn it around in the 2nd half and wind up with 35-40 wins could definitely change things.

First of all, the Lakers aren't going to win 40 games and I'll be surprised if they win 35. I don't believe wins are going to be a deciding factor.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this would happen, both teams suck but being at home helps. Same way the first game in Sacramento helped the Kings. Take your damn SportsHoopla money!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh, please no. Slopez needs to go away before the end of THIS season if at all possible. The 2 or 3 games that he hits 3s are not worth all the rest that he lays bricks. He's a dinosaur otherwise.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Worried about you friend......you suffering from PTSD yet?
I think I'm gonna survive, as tough as it is seeing the Kings lose to those fuckers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, But whether folks like it or not, there is something different about doing it with the Lakers. Lebron knows this.

I know a lot of Knicks fans. I can't tell you how many times over the last 20 years I've heard them say that so and so is coming to MSG because everyone wants to play in New York.

Sure there is a certain cachet to winning in LA or New York. But winning still takes precedence.
Not so different. He'd have another max guy coming with him (as I said, he's not coming by himself) and between Ingram, Ball, Kuzma and Nance...the Lakers have a very solid young core.

Kyria and Lovw were already all stars. Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, and Nance are not.

Ingram has improved a lot over last year. Assuming similar improvement from this year to next, he'll be pretty much right on schedule. For Lonzo, he just needs to keep pushing the ball and making the offense fun to play in. Also, they've both shown flashes of what they could be.

Ingram has improved for sure. But he is still limited until he eats a few more cheeseburgers. Regardless, my point isn't that these guys CAN'T be all stars. My point is that Lebron needs to feel comfortable that they will become all starts NEXT YEAR.

Because of Luke's system (which fits Lebrons skills perfectly), I don't expect anyone on the team to have eye popping stats because it's about moving the ball and spreading the wealth, so to speak.

Every system works for Lebron.

A. No he wouldn't. Dolan makes Gilbert look like a genius.
B. Lebron may have had his fill of lunatic owners.

I hate the Knicks as much as anyone but I fundamentally disagree that Dolan is worse than Gilbert. The Cavs are relevant SOLELY because they hit the jackpot on 2 No. 1 picks over the past 15 years. That is purely despite Gilbert's efforts to destroy the team. Dolan is desperate to win but simply picks the wrong guys. He's brought into numerous Hall of Famers that have failed.

Dolan would essentially give Lebron carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

First of all, the Lakers aren't going to win 40 games and I'll be surprised if they win 35. I don't believe wins are going to be a deciding factor.

I think the Lakers are on the right path. It's going to hurt to lose that pick next year especially if it is top 5 but otherwise they are building a pretty good core.

But Lebron isn't going to join a team that he thinks will take a couple of years to compete.

I'm a Sixers fan. I would love to see Lebron come to Philly. And there is certainly an argument to be made as to why Philly would be a great destination for him. However for that to be a possibility I think the Sixers MUST make the playoffs and at least play hard in the playoffs, and ideally win one series. Otherwise Lebron is better off staying in Cleveland another year.

He's on the clock right now. I'm CERTAIN he wants to go somewhere that he can win 1 or 2 championships and where he won't be expected to be run the entire show.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting about Hayward. Would be great to see him come back this season. Doubt it though but best of luck to him in his recovery.