• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players Only on NBA TV is a load of fucking shit. I want to hear commentary on the game, not find out Kevin McHale's pre-game rituals 35 years ago.
I haven't watched much of games on Players Only, but from what I've seen and heard it sucks.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 in a row for the Lakers in spite of a season high for turnovers...

Nice tank job, Bolts...
Can't stop won't stop.
u95c4xc.jpg

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna see the lineup up of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Skal, and WCS more in the 2nd half of the season. Trade Zbo and Hill...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I'd imagine there's a large contingent of ESPN employees that are getting tired of the Ball family. I remember Scott Van Pelt actually went on his show months back and publicly questioned why anyone was giving this guy the time of day.

Because people watch. People are to blame, not ESPN. Everyone likes to blame the media but the media is just reflecting what society wants and craves. Media companies have to generate revenue, they get that revenue from ads. Ads will only pay if they get viewers so the media companies have to strike a balance; how many resources do we have to direct towards content that will attract viewers and thus get money.

Society today, sadly, will not watch journalism. It watches sensationalism. ESPN didn't just decide "Let's make LaVar/Tebow/Manziel/insert whoever a story". Their viewer data showed the public responded the most to those initial stories and kept feeding them what they wanted. People claim they want reporting but how many of you actually watch Outside The Lines or E:60? The answer is not many. But most you will turn on every day to see what utter bullshit Stephen A Smith and Will Cain are bitching about.

It works the same way in most all of media nowadays. The structure for how media can profit and sustain itself changed, especially on the internet and in print, the last 15 years or so. Most people want media for free so they lost a significant revenue stream via subscriber fees. That just leaves ad revenue. So to get paid, they need clicks. They need ratings. People click on garbage, not quality. It's been proven time and time again across every media platform from print to TV to internet. Unless you're one of the people that doesn't watch shit like First Take, basically all of Fox, and go out of your way to support quality journalism, reporting, and analysis (whether subscriptions, clicks, whatever), you're not helping. You're the problem. We, collectively as a society, are to blame.

As far as Lavar is concerned, his whole ordeal basically followed this entire script perfectly. He is/was worth news coverage. Father of a big time prospect (Lonzo) taking on the NCAA and shoe companies by forming his own brand is news worthy. That's what initially got him covered. But people started responded (ie tuning in, talking about him via social media, etc) with the more outrageous stuff he did. So the media is just giving you what you want because they have to. You won't click on Zach Lowe brilliantly breaking down the Spurs help and recover defense, but you'll click on "LaVar Ball SLAMS Magic Johnson, says he can run Lakers better"

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched much of games on Players Only, but from what I've seen and heard it sucks.

It beyond sucks. Might as well turn off the sound and listen to a bunch of old dudes reminisce about the 'good ol days'.

I mean, I get some of these guys are almost legends, but leave that shit for pre or post game stuff and just focus on the game while it's on.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because people watch. People are to blame, not ESPN. Everyone likes to blame the media but the media is just reflecting what society wants and craves. Media companies have to generate revenue, they get that revenue from ads. Ads will only pay if they get viewers so the media companies have to strike a balance; how many resources do we have to direct towards content that will attract viewers and thus get money.

Society today, sadly, will not watch journalism. It watches sensationalism. ESPN didn't just decide "Let's make LaVar/Tebow/Manziel/insert whoever a story". Their viewer data showed the public responded the most to those initial stories and kept feeding them what they wanted. People claim they want reporting but how many of you actually watch Outside The Lines or E:60? The answer is not many. But most you will turn on every day to see what utter bullshit Stephen A Smith and Will Cain are bitching about.

It works the same way in most all of media nowadays. The structure for how media can profit and sustain itself changed, especially on the internet and in print, the last 15 years or so. Most people want media for free so they lost a significant revenue stream via subscriber fees. That just leaves ad revenue. So to get paid, they need clicks. They need ratings. People click on garbage, not quality. It's been proven time and time again across every media platform from print to TV to internet. Unless you're one of the people that doesn't watch shit like First Take, basically all of Fox, and go out of your way to support quality journalism, reporting, and analysis (whether subscriptions, clicks, whatever), you're not helping. You're the problem. We, collectively as a society, are to blame.

As far as Lavar is concerned, his whole ordeal basically followed this entire script perfectly. He is/was worth news coverage. Father of a big time prospect (Lonzo) taking on the NCAA and shoe companies by forming his own brand is news worthy. That's what initially got him covered. But people started responded (ie tuning in, talking about him via social media, etc) with the more outrageous stuff he did. So the media is just giving you what you want because they have to. You won't click on Zach Lowe brilliantly breaking down the Spurs help and recover defense, but you'll click on "LaVar Ball SLAMS Magic Johnson, says he can run Lakers better"

I don’t see how anybody could disagree with any of this.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, a blog from some random nobody who doesn't like the Lakers.

Why don't you post the link to your blog about how butthurt you were when PG left Indiana?

What exactly is wrong with this article? It is actually a very well written and informative article which I have come to expect from the Ringer.

And you're making an assumption that writer doesn't like the Lakers based on what? Because he's not kissing ass and predicting several titles in the coming years lol

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle had a nice game. And Lopez. KCP and Ingram pitched in for a much needed win.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, a blog from some random nobody who doesn't like the Lakers.

Why don't you post the link to your blog about how butthurt you were when PG left Indiana?

The Ringer is a random blog no one has ever heard of? Are you being serious? Do you only get your basketball news from ESPN?