• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Lue knew it all along, but allowed Wade the opportunity to discover it on his own and be the one to initiate change. Well worth a few losses for the added chemistry, and role-buy-in that comes with that.

Managing NBA personalities is the one thing that Lue is unquestionably great at, imo.
The fact that Wade agreed is what makes this so successful.

* see Melo's refusal to put team over self.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's possible, personally I just wouldn't want to see the team take the risk of being left in rebuild mode when he leaves.

Not sure how many different ways I can say it. They wouldn't be left in rebuild mode.

They would still have the young core of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance and Hart...all entering or just having entered their prime. Plus, they would still have whatever max FA (presumably George) came along with Lebron.

In what universe is that considered being left in rebuild mode?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they won't....lol

Deny would still cost you cap space.

Stretching him only gives you another 10 mil, not his whole salary.

With the $36.8 million owed to Deng over the next two, the Lakers can stretch him out to $7.4 million over five years, which would open $9.8 million in additional cap space in July.

That isn't quite enough to get to two max slots, putting the Lakers at about $57.3 million in space.

With the $36.8 million owed to Deng over the next two, the Lakers can stretch him out to $7.4 million over five years, which would open $9.8 million in additional cap space in July.

That isn't quite enough to get to two max slots, putting the Lakers at about $57.3 million in
space.

I'm saying if we trade him....to a team that can absorb his cap hit.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many different ways I can say it. They wouldn't be left in rebuild mode.

They would still have the young core of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance and Hart...all entering or just having entered their prime. Plus, they would still have whatever max FA (presumably George) came along with Lebron.

As long as they don't renounce anyone BEFORE the guys they want commit, it's almost identical to the Boston situation with Olynyk, Bradley etc.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Lue knew it all along, but allowed Wade the opportunity to discover it on his own and be the one to initiate change. Well worth a few losses for the added chemistry, and role-buy-in that comes with that.

Managing NBA personalities is the one thing that Lue is unquestionably great at, imo.

He does a solid job managing egos, no doubt. He played for the Phil/Shaq/Kobe Lakers. So he definitely has been exposed to an ego or 2. lol

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So fantasy land?

Because that won't happen unless you are attaching Ingram to the deal.

That still might not even be enough.

Ps. You should probably take a gander at the teams that will have cap space this Summer.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they'd be a 4-6 seed the first season.....until they developed some chemistry.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's definitely that possibility. But his only value is as an expiring contract and that's the problem, imo. Thank you Short Buss...the gift that keeps on giving.

He's not even a guy who can still play a little who is just overpaid. Could the Lakers fleece someone? Sure. It happens pretty much every year.

But, the Lakers would likely need to add an asset (like when they were able to get rid of Mozgov with Russell).

Problem is, the only assets they can give up that would make taking the Deng contract worthwhile are guys that they aren't going to want to part with.

Last edited:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's definitely that possibility. But his only value is as an expiring contract and that's the problem, imo. Thank you Short Buss...the gift that keeps on giving.

He's not even a guy who can still play a little who is just overpaid. Could the Lakers fleece someone? Sure. It happens pretty much every year.

But, the Lakers would likely need to add an asset (like when they were able to get rid of Mozgov with Russell).

Problem is, the only assets they can give up that would make taking the Deng contract worthwhile are guys that they aren't going to want to part with.
Exactly...

I mean look at the list of Teams that could absorb him.

Dallas? No way in hell would they help the Lakers.

Sixers? Well, considering they want the same guy you are trading Deng to acquire makes this a bit farfetched.

Atlanta and Chicago? They are the ones who cooked that Dude to begin with.

No chance they take him back without giving up Ingram.

NBA 2018-2019 Cap Tracker

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he's having one of the best years of his career.

I don't see him getting to 6.

I think he can get 1 more maaaaaaybe if he can finagle his way to Houston or the 76ers can add him and....shit, Chris Paul...lol

Sixers don't even have cap space for Lebron's max deal.

Houston is a non-starter; no ball-dominant stars really work with Harden. They are making it work with CP3 by having one of the 2 on the court at all times. So far, they are better with only one of them on the floor than they are with both. Houston just needs to continue to add athletic 3/D players around Harden that can switch defensively.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KCP has been good.

But, he's not worth 19 mil...lol

Brook Slow-pez is not your Center of the future either.

So, losing them is a big.........meh.

But, depending on the price....

They might regret not keeping Randle and Clarkson gets buckets while on a very team friendly deal.

KCP and Slopez are gone. I would argue that KCP can easily be replaced by the guy who started for him last night, and much cheaper; Josh Hart.

All this hand-wringing about getting Lebron or George is really silly. The Lakers are already 3 deep at PF (Lebron's likely fit) and their best player is at SF (Ingram). What they really need is help at SG and C. George could fit at SG, but isn't a seemless fit. Lebron even less so. Lakers might be better off pursuing Avery Bradley, but he's not the take-over scorer they need.

If Cousins wasn't such a headcase, he would fit at C, but what the Lakers really need is an athletic rim protecting defender with some passing ability. I was hoping Noel might fit that bill, but he really seems to be regressing and is now out with thumb surgery, so will be a huge question mark this summer. I would like to see the Lakers work Bryant into the rotation a bit to see if he's a fit; clearly Slopez and Bogut (and even Zubac) are centers from an era fading into the past.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes -- reminds me of a kid I coached many years ago. He thought he was a point guard. We played him there 2 games -- had the ball stolen 2-3 times / game -- then he fit in great as a wing player.

I find it a little painful to watch Wade's game now. He is a shell of his former self. Hopefully he is happy with his role & game at this point in his life.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers don't even have cap space for Lebron's max deal.
Houston is a non-starter; no ball-dominant stars really work with Harden. They are making it work with CP3 by having one of the 2 on the court at all times. So far, they are better with only one of them on the floor than they are with both. Houston just needs to continue to add athletic 3/D players around Harden that can switch defensively.

Not sure this makes sense. Given today's contracts -- Sixers have about $35M in cap room next year. ($70M committed) A guy ilke Bayless makes $8M next year. I think the Sixers could offer a big contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...

I mean look at the list of Teams that could absorb him.

Dallas? No way in hell would they help the Lakers.

Sixers? Well, considering they want the same guy you are trading Deng to acquire makes this a bit farfetched.

Atlanta and Chicago? They are the ones who cooked that Dude to begin with.

No chance they take him back without giving up Ingram.

NBA 2018-2019 Cap Tracker

There is no way in hell that Ingram gets D'Angelo'ed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this makes sense. Given today's contracts -- Sixers have about $35M in cap room next year. ($70M committed) A guy ilke Bayless makes $8M next year. I think the Sixers could offer a big contract.

Sixers have about $31M in cap space (assuming the cap holds for Redick, Amir and Booker are cleared). If they end up keeping that Lakers pick, that slotted salary gets added as well. They would have to find a taker for Bayless, and even that leaves no chance for Lebron to add anyone else to the mix.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a call from a private number. I answered and said: "Okay, I hid the body and threw the gun into the pool. I'll call you when I get to Brazil." Then hung up.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have about $31M in cap space (assuming the cap holds for Redick, Amir and Booker are cleared). If they end up keeping that Lakers pick, that slotted salary gets added as well. They would have to find a taker for Bayless, and even that leaves no chance for Lebron to add anyone else to the mix.

Yeah, I don't see James taking a paycut.....

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to bring in 2 stars with Ball, Ingram and Kuzma to have any chance to contend in the next 4 years. The top teams are way too good.

well, just to play Devil's advocate for a sec who knows what the status quo is gonna be 4 years down the line...?

i hear mostly what you're saying, though...

Reactions: LAD