• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have about $31M in cap space (assuming the cap holds for Redick, Amir and Booker are cleared). If they end up keeping that Lakers pick, that slotted salary gets added as well. They would have to find a taker for Bayless, and even that leaves no chance for Lebron to add anyone else to the mix.

I'm sure they could dump Bayless' salary if needed. (by trading another asset also -- like almost always happens when you want to sign an expensive FA -- and that would free up more space.

You said they didn't have room for Lebron's salary. $39M isn't enough ?

(I'm not saying Lebron would do it -- but clearly Sixers have enough cap space if Lebron wanted to go there.)

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KCP is a product of his environment IMO. I mean, someone has to get the shine on a team made up of practically all rookies. LOL
Brook is akin to the sloth in Zootopia.

I think Clarkson is needed until Lonzo gets fully acclimated to the game...unless you can replace him with an upgrade PG.

I like Randle, but I think he should be further along in his development given his time in the league. Of course, that's just my opinion though.

actually it's mine, too...

nothing against Randle and i understand he got off to a rough start breaking his leg in year 1, but....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... I think people are either overrating his role with Boston or - more likely - underrating the role he had with Cleveland.

His numbers are almost exactly spot on across the board. Same usage, same shot attempts, same assists, same rebounds, same points. He's obviously the go-to guy down the stretch for the Celtics... but he had become that guy with the Cavs too. If anything, its LeBron's role that has changed, as his assists and clutch-time scoring have gone up. With Kyrie gone and IT out, he's the defacto point guard and go-to guy down the stretch now.

Kyrie has the same role. The difference is now he is on a team with a better long-term future but a worse short-term ability to contend. He's also out of LeBron's shadow, but that's an off-the-court issue.

Both, honestly.

Part of it too is that he is legitmately defending a lot better than he did in Cleveland. That won't show up on the stat sheet, but it has elevated his game on that end.

Also though, the fact that Kyrie is getting more early season love for MVP than LeBron is absolutely preposterous. LeBron is carrying Cleveland and arguably having his best individual season ever. Kyrie is the most important piece in a great system.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, just to play Devil's advocate for a sec who knows what the status quo is gonna be 4 years down the line...?

i hear mostly what you're saying, though...

I seriously doubt it goes back to non-super teams.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KCP and Slopez are gone. I would argue that KCP can easily be replaced by the guy who started for him last night, and much cheaper; Josh Hart.

All this hand-wringing about getting Lebron or George is really silly. The Lakers are already 3 deep at PF (Lebron's likely fit) and their best player is at SF (Ingram). What they really need is help at SG and C. George could fit at SG, but isn't a seemless fit. Lebron even less so. Lakers might be better off pursuing Avery Bradley, but he's not the take-over scorer they need.

If Cousins wasn't such a headcase, he would fit at C, but what the Lakers really need is an athletic rim protecting defender with some passing ability. I was hoping Noel might fit that bill, but he really seems to be regressing and is now out with thumb surgery, so will be a huge question mark this summer. I would like to see the Lakers work Bryant into the rotation a bit to see if he's a fit; clearly Slopez and Bogut (and even Zubac) are centers from an era fading into the past.
@trojanfan12 and I were just talking about Deandre Jordan to the Lakers.

If his price tag is too hefty, maybe a John Henson?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers don't even have cap space for Lebron's max deal.

Houston is a non-starter; no ball-dominant stars really work with Harden. They are making it work with CP3 by having one of the 2 on the court at all times. So far, they are better with only one of them on the floor than they are with both. Houston just needs to continue to add athletic 3/D players around Harden that can switch defensively.
The 76ers could get there pretty easily.

Not Houston.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have about $31M in cap space (assuming the cap holds for Redick, Amir and Booker are cleared). If they end up keeping that Lakers pick, that slotted salary gets added as well. They would have to find a taker for Bayless, and even that leaves no chance for Lebron to add anyone else to the mix.
They have a ton of tradeable assets in Saric, Luwawu, Lakers pick etc.

Package that and get another borderline all-star from a team looking to blow it up.

The path to LeBron is pretty easy if he was inclined to go there.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Lue knew it all along, but allowed Wade the opportunity to discover it on his own and be the one to initiate change. Well worth a few losses for the added chemistry, and role-buy-in that comes with that.

Managing NBA personalities is the one thing that Lue is unquestionably great at, imo.
that's one way of looking at it. But, Kerr was able to do the same thing with Iggy without sacrificing games in the process. :D

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Cleveland the first time, he was literally all they had and they didn't do anything to get him a better supporting cast. In Miami, he was playing with a veteran core of players who got old and who lost Chris Bosh right after Lebron left.

With the Lakers, he would be joining a much younger core group which would be left intact.
Yes these are all true facts, but it doesn't change the fact that when he left they were instantly in rebuild mode, which is my only point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a ton of tradeable assets in Saric, Luwawu, Lakers pick etc.

Package that and get another borderline all-star from a team looking to blow it up.

The path to LeBron is pretty easy if he was inclined to go there.

In fact, they could easily get there without trading Saric, Covington, or the Laker pick.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many different ways I can say it. They wouldn't be left in rebuild mode.

They would still have the young core of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance and Hart...all entering or just having entered their prime. Plus, they would still have whatever max FA (presumably George) came along with Lebron.

In what universe is that considered being left in rebuild mode?
IMO they're not contenders right now. Adding LBJ instantly changes that. If he only stays a year or two, you think they remain contenders?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO they're not contenders right now. Adding LBJ instantly changes that. If he only stays a year or two, you think they remain contenders?
if you're talking the Lakers, I think that depends on how they handle the LeBron James hire. Do they keep their core that will become veterans as a result. If they Keep Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram - then yes they can because those three could be good enough by then to carry the team and make them attractable in the same ways the Spurs moved forward. That's not an easy task by any means, but is possible

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, they could easily get there without trading Saric, Covington, or the Laker pick.
Shit, the Lakers don't have the cap space either without making roster decisions.

Until they renounce guys, they aren't flush with cap space either.

Plus, trying to move a Saric, Covington even Bayless is not as daunting a task as trying to move Deng.

Cause let's be honest here, LeBron is not coming to the Lakers alone if he comes at all.

This 76ers would have a much easier road to land him, with much better young pieces, if he was in win now mode vs. enjoying my twilight years.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great point.

Lebron has the ability to mask flaws and make people appear to be better than they actually are.

*See JJ Hickson, Boobie Gipson

He can also stunt your growth.

*Kyrie Irving

Even though I think that situation is an exception, not the rule.

So, things could go tits up pretty quickly if he was only there a Season or two.