• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if playing with LBJ makes life easier why did Kyrie leave? He had the option of playing with him until LBJ retires most likely...but he chose to walk even before he knew where he might end up.

I mean, I wouldn't try to get inside the mind of Kyrie if I were you. Seems like a pretty strange place.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they? They hid the conversation from the world for a reason.

The media is so stupid. If they hid the conversation from everyone after the game, I have no idea why they would ask both guys again 5 minutes later in the locker room.

Things like that is why players hate the media.

An on-court mic actually picked up a good chunk of it. It was all generic encouragement like "keep locked in", "block out the noise", etc.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson isn't needed if they get LeBron. LeBron is the best PG in the NBA.
Again, I'm talking longevity. Also, Clarkson can be used as a 2.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I wouldn't try to get inside the mind of Kyrie if I were you. Seems like a pretty strange place.
Who's trying to do that? There's no need, since he literally told us he didn't want to play with LBJ anymore. You think it's just a coincidence he's doing so well in Boston?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. KCP, & Lopez are the only ones you give up - but they're not considered the "young guys" I was referring to.

Problem is, if they don't let Randle and Clarkson go along with Lopez and KCP, they can't get 2 max FA's.

2. So if playing with LBJ makes life easier why did Kyrie leave? He had the option of playing with him until LBJ retires most likely...but he chose to walk even before he knew where he might end up. So...I have to disagree.

Kyrie left because he wanted to be "the man" and didn't have the patience to wait for Lebron to retire or leave for another team. I think what Kyrie did was dumb, but I also understand why he did it. Things were set up in Cleveland to where Kyrie was going to be the face of a young, up and coming team. Then Lebron decided he wanted to go back home and all of that was taken away.

3. He's NEVER signed a 3-4 contract since his first stint w/ Cleveland & being in Miami w/ the big 3. You really think he wants to retire somewhere other than Cleveland? I don't. Especially since he'd be playing in the shadows of Kobe?

He hasn't been looking at turning 33 and getting what will likely be his last mega contract either. Even if he does insist on 1 year deals...so what? That might actually be better. When superstars get old, it tends to happen almost overnight. It would prevent the Lakers from having to pay him max money when he's not a max level player anymore.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, if they don't let Randle and Clarkson go along with Lopez and KCP, they can't get 2 max FA's.

Kyrie left because he wanted to be "the man" and didn't have the patience to wait for Lebron to retire or leave for another team. I think what Kyrie did was dumb, but I also understand why he did it. Things were set up in Cleveland to where Kyrie was going to be the face of a young, up and coming team. Then Lebron decided he wanted to go back home and all of that was taken away.

He hasn't been looking at turning 33 and getting what will likely be his last mega contract either. Even if he does insist on 1 year deals...so what? That might actually be better. When superstars get old, it tends to happen almost overnight. It would prevent the Lakers from having to pay him max money when he's not a max level player anymore.
Kyrie left & we suddenly see his growth as a player. By accident? I don't think so.

The problem w/ 1 year deals is the lack of commitment. It also doesn't help when trying to recruit guys. Just about every other good/great player wants multiple year deals.

And if they let Randle go, trade Clarkson & LBJ leaves who is left besides Ingram, Ball & Kuzma? I'm not saying it's impossible to rebuild, but why do it twice in a short period of time when they can just be patient & have a better shot of being good for longer?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all of that for what, 1 -2 years? And that leaves us at my initial question, where does that leave the team when he leaves?

As I said, they would still have Ball, Nance, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and whatever younger max FA (presumably PG) to put pieces around.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Randle, but I think he should be further along in his development given his time in the league. Of course, that's just my opinion though.

Yeah, he should probably be a little farther along, but remember, he also lost pretty much his entire first season to injury.

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they? They hid the conversation from the world for a reason.

The media is so stupid. If they hid the conversation from everyone after the game, I have no idea why they would ask both guys again 5 minutes later in the locker room.

Things like that is why players hate the media.

I think he said "Hey, let's both join Gelo and Melo in Lithuania next year."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

On the one hand, he's made a few pretty strong statements recently about wanting to be around for his kids. He said his kids will basically decide when he retires.

On the other hand, he's gonna have so many big-time longevity-records within his grasp that I think - for his personality - could be hard to walk away from. KAJ's scoring record, for example.

Certainly don't know him or what he may be thinking. But he seems like someone who wants to be the lead dog or not play. He knows his legacy is pretty well set. At worst he will finish as top 5 all time on pretty much everyone's list. Sticking around as a role player just to chase down some individual records isn't really going to help that much, if at all.

But, it's Lebron. When folks thinks he's gonna zig...he zags. So, who knows? :noidea:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's trying to do that? There's no need, since he literally told us he didn't want to play with LBJ anymore. You think it's just a coincidence he's doing so well in Boston?

I think he's doing well because he's a great player.

Great players are going to be great players no matter who they play with. I think Kyrie is at least close to that tier, and probably in it. Its the other guys that are truly made better by playing alongside a LeBron, or a Curry, or a Harden.

I do think things will get tougher for Kyrie in the playoffs than what's he's used to, where teams really gameplan for specific players... but that's a challenge I'm sure he looks forward to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie left & we suddenly see his growth as a player. By accident? I don't think so.

Of course it wasn't by accident. In Cleveland, he wasn't "the man." Lebron was and everything played off of him. In Boston, especially with Hayward out, Kyrie is the man and everything plays off of him. Kyrie is a great player. He was a great player in Cleveland, but he was taking a backseat to Lebron. It's similar to Kobe after Shaq left. Kobe was already a great player, but he grew into an all time great when he was out from under Shaq's shadow.

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem w/ 1 year deals is the lack of commitment. It also doesn't help when trying to recruit guys. Just about every other good/great player wants multiple year deals.

The Cavs don't seem to be having a problem getting guys who want to chase a ring with Lebron. If guys think they can win, they will be willing to come to the Lakers. Cleveland's issue is cap space, not getting guys who are willing to play with Lebron on a 1 year deal.

And if they let Randle go, trade Clarkson & LBJ leaves who is left besides Ingram, Ball & Kuzma?

Been answered already, but here it is one more time. They will have Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and whatever other max FA they got with Lebron (presumably George). George would still be in his prime and the other 4 would be just entering theirs. There would be no "rebuild" at that time. Just adding more pieces.

but why do it twice in a short period of time when they can just be patient & have a better shot of being good for longer?

Because there is a difference between good (Randle and Clarkson) and an all time great. When you get a chance to add an all time great who is still playing at an extremely high level, especially when you can do it while keeping much of your core intact, you do it.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,802.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been answered already, but here it is one more time. They will have Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and whatever other max FA they got with Lebron (presumably George). George would still be in his prime and the other 4 would be just entering theirs. There would be no "rebuild" at that time. Just adding more pieces.

Los Angeles Lakers Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

If they get rid of Deng and Clarkson for basically nothing they'd have Ball, Ingram, Nance, Kuzma, Hart, Bryant, Zubac, and Ennis owed like $23 million. The cap is $101. They'd have 78 to get a couple max guys and add to the roster.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's doing well because he's a great player.

Great players are going to be great players no matter who they play with. I think Kyrie is at least close to that tier, and probably in it. Its the other guys that are truly made better by playing alongside a LeBron, or a Curry, or a Harden.

I do think things will get tougher for Kyrie in the playoffs than what's he's used to, where teams really gameplan for specific players... but that's a challenge I'm sure he looks forward to.
I totally agree with your points.

What I'm trying to say is Kyrie was finally able to spread his wings once he left. IMO if he stays it stunts his growth to some degree because his full potential wasn't used regularly. One gets better by practicing & in this case games are their practice & how they get experience.