• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 spring training cuts

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Arroyo - San Francisco Giants - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Giants re-assigned INFs Christian Arroyo, Ryder Jones, Rando Moreno, RHPs Tyler Beede, Samuel Coonrod, Chase Johnson, Albert Suarez, Cs Aramis Garcia, Ty Ross, Matt Winn and OF Junior Arias to minor league camp.
None of the twelve players were expected to break camp with the big league club. Arroyo had an impressive 2015 season at High-A San Jose, slashing .304/.344/.459 with nine homers and 42 RBI in 90 games. Mar 13 - 9:18 PM

No surprises here, though I thought Arroyo might stick around a little longer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First batch of cuts as well...

Arroyo
Ryder Jones
Moreno
Beede
Coonrod
Chase Johnson
Suarez
Garcia
Ross
Winn
Arias

No real surprises. Arroyo being in the first set of cuts is SLIGHTLY surprising, given his amazing performance, but there was no chance he was making the team anyway, so it doesn't matter.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the airport, heading back to SF. Pence looked fully recovered today, and Gorkys looked fast. What a difference a real CF makes -- Span is legit. Hesto looked in command, Posey in midseason form.

Glad to be going home

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Arroyo - San Francisco Giants - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Giants re-assigned INFs Christian Arroyo, Ryder Jones, Rando Moreno, RHPs Tyler Beede, Samuel Coonrod, Chase Johnson, Albert Suarez, Cs Aramis Garcia, Ty Ross, Matt Winn and OF Junior Arias to minor league camp.
None of the twelve players were expected to break camp with the big league club. Arroyo had an impressive 2015 season at High-A San Jose, slashing .304/.344/.459 with nine homers and 42 RBI in 90 games. Mar 13 - 9:18 PM

No surprises here, though I thought Arroyo might stick around a little longer.

First batch of cuts as well...

Arroyo
Ryder Jones
Moreno
Beede
Coonrod
Chase Johnson
Suarez
Garcia
Ross
Winn
Arias

No real surprises. Arroyo being in the first set of cuts is SLIGHTLY surprising, given his amazing performance, but there was no chance he was making the team anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Doesn't mean we won't see them anymore this spring. Wednesday is the first day of Minor League ST Games, so the prospects will get regular PT down there.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My old coach used to say "potential is another way to say that you ain't done shit yet". Despite that saying, which always resonated with me as an athlete, it's hard not to get geeked up about our prospects and their respective performances this spring. This organization IMO has figured out the formula for the best opportunities to cash in on the crapshoot that is player draft and development.

The Giants seem to have stockpiled arms where it almost seems like an embarrassment of riches with regards to productive "fly under the radar" guys like Coonrad, Black, and others. I mean, shit, Coonrad pitched 3 1/3 and struck out 7 just today. The position players have mashed and frankly surprised in some cases. From what I have seen and read, Tomlinson shows to be able to handle SS and has been thrown in at 3B lately. Mac leads the league in HRs and Parker seems to be teeing off at the same rate. Even scrap heap guys like Gorkys are raking.

I can go on but you get the point. I'm stoked to watch this season unfold.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio (??) this week that the Cubs have hired someone to specifically study the Giants and their strategy going into the draft.

Baseball media may laugh at the Giants, but other teams have certainly taken notice.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio (??) this week that the Cubs have hired someone to specifically study the Giants and their strategy going into the draft.

Baseball media may laugh at the Giants, but other teams have certainly taken notice.

I'm surprised it has taken this long, to be honest. It wasn't long ago that we were signing Michael Tuckers in order to avoid the draft. This organization has done a 180 on how it views roster development and it obviously works.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised it has taken this long, to be honest. It wasn't long ago that we were signing Michael Tuckers in order to avoid the draft. This organization has done a 180 on how it views roster development and it obviously works.
Actually, DrB did a study of that transaction within the last year or so, and he can to the conclusion that the Giants may have thought that that was SUCH a weak draft, that trading a late first for Michael Tucker was well worth it. The first round that year was one of the worst in recent memory. A redraft, based on WAR, would actually put Romo as a puck HIGHER than what the Giant gave up, and they got him in the 20s somewhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, DrB did a study of that transaction within the last year or so, and he can to the conclusion that the Giants may have thought that that was SUCH a weak draft, that trading a late first for Michael Tucker was well worth it. The first round that year was one of the worst in recent memory. A redraft, based on WAR, would actually put Romo as a puck HIGHER than what the Giant gave up, and they got him in the 20s somewhere.
I must remember the details wrong. Romo was drafted the following year. But '04 was still a HORRIBLE first round.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must remember the details wrong. Romo was drafted the following year. But '04 was still a HORRIBLE first round.

That's one way of rationalizing it I guess but to give up a 1st rounder for a player of Michael Tucker's *cough* abilities isn't a strategy for lasting success. The bottom line is that most Giants fans knew better then to trust Sabean's scouting and player development department back then but the fact that we so openly chased after Michael Tucker is a sin that was only forgiven after our first WS Championship.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one way of rationalizing it I guess but to give up a 1st rounder for a player of Michael Tucker's *cough* abilities isn't a strategy for lasting success. The bottom line is that most Giants fans knew better then to trust Sabean's scouting and player development department back then but the fact that we so openly chased after Michael Tucker is a sin that was only forgiven after our first WS Championship.
I was in agreement with this stance at the time, and for many years after. But the Giants were in HARD CORE Win-Now mode in the '03/'04 off season. Bonds was winding down and they were just one year removed from a Series loss.

Right or wrong, they identified Tucker as their main target in free agency. If you want to give them credit, you can also say that they realized there was an EPIC bad 1st round coming up in the '04 draft, in which the Giants were slated to pick 29th.

In that draft, there were only 4 players drafted before 29 that have accumulated 15 WAR so far (Verlander, Walker, Weaver, and Drew, with only Gio and Street taken after 29 in the first + supplemental to have 14.9 WAR or higher. The #29 pick, Matt Campbell, never got his cuppo.

Adding in the 2nd round, only Gallardo, Pence, Suzuki and Pedroia were worth anything. The Giants took EME at #70, who never got a cuppo, either.

The argument can somewhat comfortably be made that the Giants saw the shitshow that was coming in the draft and decided that sacrificing a pick for the ease of mind of getting "their guy", no matter how flawed "their guy" was, was not a price worth fretting.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More cuts (technically, options)...

Black (mildly surprising)
Crick
Gardeck (TJ and likely 60-Day)
Gregorio
Law
Smith
Stratton
Mejia

Law needed more time just to build confidence. After this spring, I fear for his state of mind.

Black shined this spring. His arm is a time bomb, though. Not sure it is doing anyone any favors by wasting his limited pitches in the minors. He may end up being a guy who simply misses his opportunity. And that is sad.

I think Crick did himself well this spring. He still has a lot to prove, but after the near career-suicide that was last year, a better-than-so-so spring a VERY good thing.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in agreement with this stance at the time, and for many years after. But the Giants were in HARD CORE Win-Now mode in the '03/'04 off season. Bonds was winding down and they were just one year removed from a Series loss.

Right or wrong, they identified Tucker as their main target in free agency. If you want to give them credit, you can also say that they realized there was an EPIC bad 1st round coming up in the '04 draft, in which the Giants were slated to pick 29th.

In that draft, there were only 4 players drafted before 29 that have accumulated 15 WAR so far (Verlander, Walker, Weaver, and Drew, with only Gio and Street taken after 29 in the first + supplemental to have 14.9 WAR or higher. The #29 pick, Matt Campbell, never got his cuppo.

Adding in the 2nd round, only Gallardo, Pence, Suzuki and Pedroia were worth anything. The Giants took EME at #70, who never got a cuppo, either.

The argument can somewhat comfortably be made that the Giants saw the shitshow that was coming in the draft and decided that sacrificing a pick for the ease of mind of getting "their guy", no matter how flawed "their guy" was, was not a price worth fretting.

For as close to the WS Championship they had been, the fact that "their guy" was Michael facking Tucker is the part of the story which still makes me throw up in my mouth a bit. Tucker was an exceptional 4th OF and a solid platoon player, but not a difference maker. Bonds was still God. But showing small cracks in the armor. They had one last Farewell tour before the window closed for good. And Tucker was "their guy". *shaking head*

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as close to the WS Championship they had been, the fact that "their guy" was Michael facking Tucker is the part of the story which still makes me throw up in my mouth a bit. Tucker was an exceptional 4th OF and a solid platoon player, but not a difference maker. Bonds was still God. But showing small cracks in the armor. They had one last Farewell tour before the window closed for good. And Tucker was "their guy". *shaking head*
Again, assuming they had an idea of just how epically bad the coming draft was going to be, it doesn't matter who "their guy" was. The cost of forfeiting that pick was less than pocket-change.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the updated spring training roster:
Pitchers (21)
Ty Blach, sp
Clayton Blackburn, sp
Michael Broadway, rp
Madison Bumgarner, sp
Matt Cain, sp
Santiago Casilla, rp
Johnny Cueto, sp
Cory Gearrin, rp
Chris Heston, sp
George Kontos, rp
Braulio Lara, rp (nri)
Javier Lopez, rp
Vin Mazzaro, rp (nri)
Steven Okert, rp
Josh Osich, rp
Jake Peavy, sp
Ricky Romero, sp (nri)
Sergio Romo, rp
Jeff Samardzija, sp
Chris Stratton, sp
Hunter Strickland, rp

Catchers (4)
Trevor Brown
George Kottaras (nri)
Buster Posey
Andrew Susac

Infielders (11)
Ehire Adrianza, ss
Brandon Belt, 1st
Kyle Blanks, 1st (nri)
Brandon Crawford, ss
Matt Duffy, 3rd
Conor Gillaspie, 3rd (nri)
Grant Green, 2nd (nri)
Hak-Ju Lee, ss (nri)
Joe Panik, 2nd
Ramiro Pena, ss (nri)
Kelby Tomlinson, 3rd

Outfielders (8)
Gregor Blanco
Gorkys Hernandez (nri)
Ryan Lollis (nri)
Angel Pagan
Jarrett Parker
Hunter Pence
Denard Span
Mac Williamson

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto took a batted ball off the head on the first pitch of tonight's game, but he stayed in there and finished 2 innings.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game at the Talking Stick today as the Gs hammered the Rocks. Blackburn pitched fine but had some mittfuckery behind him. I saw dingers by Belt and Green and big hits from MVP and Duffman. Strick also looked effective.

That's a wonderful stadium with free sunscreen to boot. :) Tomorrow the As come to Scotts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two semi-surprises today as both Okert and Blanks were sent down.