• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Rule 5 draft

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fernandez is going under the knife for TJ.

He is now likely the most disastrous Rule V pick ever. He is stuck on the Giants roster for the year and the Giants have to pay this kid who has never pitched above A-ball 500K.
Think it will make the Giants more gun shy in future Rule 5 drafts?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they stepped out of their comfort zone by taking him. And they have an anti-rebuild gene in their dna anyway.

So yes. I think it will make them more gun shy in future rule v drafts.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fernandez is going under the knife for TJ.

He is now likely the most disastrous Rule V pick ever. He is stuck on the Giants roster for the year and the Giants have to pay this kid who has never pitched above A-ball 500K.

So ...

A player taken in the major league portion of the rule 5 draft must stay on the major league roster all year (either on the active roster, or on the major league DL) thus earning $500K. But the whole "stuck on the Giants roster" isn't true - the Giants can offer him back to the other club and pay nothing additional. If the other team doesn't want him back (for 1/2 of what they got in the rule 5 draft) then he has to pass thru waivers. So, if the Giants don't want him, they don't have to pay him $500K. Either another team takes him, or if they don't then he is removed from the 40-man (having passed thru waivers).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ...

A player taken in the major league portion of the rule 5 draft must stay on the major league roster all year (either on the active roster, or on the major league DL) thus earning $500K. But the whole "stuck on the Giants roster" isn't true - the Giants can offer him back to the other club and pay nothing additional. If the other team doesn't want him back (for 1/2 of what they got in the rule 5 draft) then he has to pass thru waivers. So, if the Giants don't want him, they don't have to pay him $500K. Either another team takes him, or if they don't then he is removed from the 40-man (having passed thru waivers).
Not when he is hurt. If they broke him, they bought him.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when he is hurt. If they broke him, they bought him.

Do you have any links to support that view? (unless you are talking about the "90 days on roster this season and next" - which isn't "you broke him, you bought him")

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the verbiage I found on the MLB website:

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

My read is that if we put him on the DL, and he never gets back on the active roster to fulfill the 90 day minimum, we have to offer him back. My guess is that once there are only 89 days left in the season, that's when we would have to do this. The bigger question is: does dropping him from the 25 man to the DL allow us to offer him back now?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any links to support that view? (unless you are talking about the "90 days on roster this season and next" - which isn't "you broke him, you bought him")
When word broke that he was heading to the DL one of the beats tweeted out that he could no longer be offered back.

That kinda makes sense, though. It would prevent a team from taking a young talent from a rival team and working him into the ground during ST then handing him back with a blown out arm.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When word broke that he was heading to the DL one of the beats tweeted out that he could no longer be offered back.

That kinda makes sense, though. It would prevent a team from taking a young talent from a rival team and working him into the ground during ST then handing him back with a blown out arm.
I went through Cots transaction glossary and could not find anything that prohibits teams from returning Rule 5 draft picks if they are injured.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the verbiage I found on the MLB website:

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

My read is that if we put him on the DL, and he never gets back on the active roster to fulfill the 90 day minimum, we have to offer him back. My guess is that once there are only 89 days left in the season, that's when we would have to do this. The bigger question is: does dropping him from the 25 man to the DL allow us to offer him back now?

The whole "90 days" thing *isn't* a "must remain on the roster that season for 90 days" - it is very poorly worded on the MLB site, apparently. A better way of stating it is that a rule 5 draftee must remain on the major league active list (called "25 man roster" by fans, except in Sep) UNLESS he goes on the major league disabled list. (Player must be either on the active list or disabled list all season.) IF player does not spend at least 90 days on the active list, then the rule 5 applies until he DOES have 90 days on the active list, even if it takes more than one season. (meaning "he must be offered back to the team from which he was taken" if acquiring team wants to remove player from 25-man roster before BOTH "end of season" and "90 days on the active list" have happened). It is possible for the player to go on DL before 2018 season starts (and not have any days on the active list), finish this season on DL, not get 90 days on active list before the end of 2019 (recovery from TJ surgery takes a long time) and not reach the 90 day limit until 2020 - at which point he could be taken off the active list (sent to minors) without offering him back to his previous club (or subject him to waivers).

Now, it is quite possible that "if broken, he can't be sent back" is true - I have just never heard of that - which is why I asked for a link (I'm always willing to learn new stuff).