• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can draft a QB, just sit him. That should be the plan anyway. No need to rush the QB into duty. We may have a new coaching staff by then.

If this is the route Baalke decides to go, I'd wait on a QB. At this point, we aren't in a position to draft someone at 5-6 and not start them. I think we need someone that's ready to play right away, one mock has us taking Ronnie Stanley, Tackle from Notre Dame.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If this is the route Baalke decides to go, I'd wait on a QB. At this point, we aren't in a position to draft someone at 5-6 and not start them. I think we need someone that's ready to play right away, one mock has us taking Ronnie Stanley, Tackle from Notre Dame.

This is fine with me because i THINK you're really saying..........there will be no QB worth our pick?

Anyway, want to make a general comment on "we aren't in a position to draft someone at 5-6 and not start them."

the odds are high a rookie QB isn't able to play "NFL average" as a rookie? Yeah, you could cite examples such as Mariota, but again what are the odds? for every Mariota there are ten Alex Smiths. So even if you wait a year, you'd likely face that same issue.

Then there is the question of what draft spot you'll get? IF a QB is so good he can start - like Luck - the top picking team will draft him. So while we are a bad team, don't think i want to 'hope' we get the top pick in 2017?

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mock's I've seen have Paxton Lynch going top 5. I don't know a thing about him. Purguy doesn't like him.

A little bit of a look at both Goff and Lynch from an ex NFL scout. FWIW, Goff torched Air Force for 5 TDs in his bowl game. Lynch was 16-37 108 yards 0 TD/1 int vs Auburn.

Ex-scout: Goff a top-five pick, Paxton Lynch the better prospect
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: Dec. 28, 2015 at 10:52 a.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 28, 2015 at 11:06 a.m
If the quarterback position commands two of the top five picks in the 2016 NFL Draft, former Oakland Raiders scout Bruce Kebric has an idea of who might fit the suits: Cal quarterback Jared Goff and Memphis' Paxton Lynch. Kebric, who piled up 31 years of scouting service with the Raiders, told the San Jose Mercury News that Goff has the look of a top-five pick, but is his No. 2 QB prospect behind Lynch.

"I like Goff a lot," Kebric said. "Goff is probably the more accomplished passer right now, but Lynch is 6-foot-6 and a better pure athlete with a stronger arm."

Kebric isn't alone in his view of Lynch. Former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel gathered some scouting feedback as well, and found a consensus view of Lynch as the better pro prospect than Goff. Lynch has led the Tigers (9-3) to the Dec. 30 Birmingham Bowl against Auburn with a career-best season, throwing 28 touchdown passes and just three interceptions. In drawing comparisonsto Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Lynch assembled a streak of eight consecutive games this season with 300-plus passing yards.

Both juniors, the two have yet to announce whether they will apply for early draft eligibility. The deadline for college underclassmen to file for early eligibility is Jan. 18.

Goff is preparing to face Air Force in the Dec. 29 Armed Forces Bowl. He needs three touchdown passes to reach 40 on the season. Scouting opinions on Goff vary from high praise to a more cautious view, but they don't get much more complimentary than Kebric's. His ability to read defenses and sense the pass rush are two of Goff's biggest assets as a passer, along with a quick release. He also drew praise in the report from former Cal and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Steve Bartkowski.

"He's got a great future," said Bartkowski, 63, who spent 12 seasons in the NFL. "He's got a big enough arm to make all the throws, which is the No. 1 prerequisite for playing the pro game. I really like what I see."

Kebric does, as well. And within about three weeks, two of the college game's top prospects will announce whether 2016 is the right time to try to prove themselves at the next level.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mock's I've seen have Paxton Lynch going top 5. I don't know a thing about him. Purguy doesn't like him.

A little bit of a look at both Goff and Lynch from an ex NFL scout. FWIW, Goff torched Air Force for 5 TDs in his bowl game. Lynch was 16-37 108 yards 0 TD/1 int vs Auburn.

• 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
If the quarterback position commands two of the top five picks in the 2016 NFL Draft, former Oakland Raiders scout Bruce Kebric has an idea of who might fit the suits: Cal quarterback Jared Goff and Memphis' Paxton Lynch. Kebric, who piled up 31 years of scouting service with the Raiders, told the San Jose Mercury News that Goff has the look of a top-five pick, but is his No. 2 QB prospect behind Lynch.

"I like Goff a lot," Kebric said. "Goff is probably the more accomplished passer right now, but Lynch is 6-foot-6 and a better pure athlete with a stronger arm."

Kebric isn't alone in his view of Lynch. Former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel gathered some scouting feedback as well, and found a consensus view of Lynch as the better pro prospect than Goff. Lynch has led the Tigers (9-3) to the Dec. 30 Birmingham Bowl against Auburn with a career-best season, throwing 28 touchdown passes and just three interceptions. In drawing comparisonsto Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Lynch assembled a streak of eight consecutive games this season with 300-plus passing yards.

Both juniors, the two have yet to announce whether they will apply for early draft eligibility. The deadline for college underclassmen to file for early eligibility is Jan. 18.

Goff is preparing to face Air Force in the Dec. 29 Armed Forces Bowl. He needs three touchdown passes to reach 40 on the season. Scouting opinions on Goff vary from high praise to a more cautious view, but they don't get much more complimentary than Kebric's. His ability to read defenses and sense the pass rush are two of Goff's biggest assets as a passer, along with a quick release. He also drew praise in the report from former Cal and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Steve Bartkowski.

"He's got a great future," said Bartkowski, 63, who spent 12 seasons in the NFL. "He's got a big enough arm to make all the throws, which is the No. 1 prerequisite for playing the pro game. I really like what I see."

Kebric does, as well. And within about three weeks, two of the college game's top prospects will announce whether 2016 is the right time to try to prove themselves at the next level.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• View attachment 71940
  • By Chase Goodbread

This scouting report is similar to some of the other scouting reports I've read. I've also read Lynch doesn't have good footwork and isn't as good playing from the pocket. Also has some accuracy issues. The question I have is do we go down this road again with a QB that has a higher upside but has more issues heading into the NFL.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless the QBs are big reach, I think we really need to draft a QB this year. Kap is gone and as the season has gone on I have more doubt that Gabbert will be anything more than stopgap starter and serviceable backup. whenever we draft a QB, the goal should be not to start him right away so waiting a year only pushes what we need a year back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i without question place more weight on "His ability to read defenses and sense the pass rush are two of Goff's biggest assets as a passer, along with a quick release."; over "but Lynch is 6-foot-6 and a better pure athlete with a stronger arm."

We all know it isn't as simple as this, so we'll see how more and more scouting info come out. For all i know Lynch is just as good reading defenses? For all we know Goff's arm is strong enough?

BTW - i mean this for ANY QB comparison, not just between Lynch and Goff.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fine with me because i THINK you're really saying..........there will be no QB worth our pick?

Anyway, want to make a general comment on "we aren't in a position to draft someone at 5-6 and not start them."

the odds are high a rookie QB isn't able to play "NFL average" as a rookie? Yeah, you could cite examples such as Mariota, but again what are the odds? for every Mariota there are ten Alex Smiths. So even if you wait a year, you'd likely face that same issue.

Then there is the question of what draft spot you'll get? IF a QB is so good he can start - like Luck - the top picking team will draft him. So while we are a bad team, don't think i want to 'hope' we get the top pick in 2017?

I'm not willing to put this years QB prospects in the same category with Andrew Luck. But I see what you're drivin at. Personally, I think there are better players that we could draft at number 5 than Goff, but that's just my opinion.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i without question place more weight on "His ability to read defenses and sense the pass rush are two of Goff's biggest assets as a passer, along with a quick release."; over "but Lynch is 6-foot-6 and a better pure athlete with a stronger arm."

We all know it isn't as simple as this, so we'll see how more and more scouting info come out. For all i know Lynch is just as good reading defenses? For all we know Goff's arm is strong enough?

BTW - i mean this for ANY QB comparison, not just between Lynch and Goff.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with it, mostly posted for those that aren't as familiar with the 2 quarterbacks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless the QBs are big reach, I think we really need to draft a QB this year. Kap is gone and as the season has gone on I have more doubt that Gabbert will be anything more than stopgap starter and serviceable backup. whenever we draft a QB, the goal should be not to start him right away so waiting a year only pushes what we need a year back.

agree, as long as his value is at least 'equal' to our draft spot, draft one. granted 'equal' is the very debate, EVERYONE has a little different value. :-)

and if you draft one, agree you play him whenever he's ready. don't 'force' it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with it, mostly posted for those that aren't as familiar with the 2 quarterbacks.

yeah, we're going to see a LOT more scouting info come out, so nothing to get swayed over.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I agree. But can't we do both? I'm a fan of taking Carson Wentz from ND State. If we could snag him early 2nd round, perfect. We'd be lucky if he lasted that long. Most mocks have him going anywhere from 18-35

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I agree. But can't we do both? I'm a fan of taking Carson Wentz from ND State. If we could snag him early 2nd round, perfect. We'd be lucky if he lasted that long. Most mocks have him going anywhere from 18-35

don't know about this guy either, but a 2nd rounder is ok too.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know about this guy either, but a 2nd rounder is ok too.

Nobody knows about him, really, except the scouts and the teams that need a QB. Kid is 6'7, he wreaks of raw talent. He can scramble if he needs to, he's not a statue. I say raw because he started first as a JR last season, has had a good season this year until he broke his wrist, he hasn't had a ton of time. He sat behind a legend at NDSU as a freshman and soph, otherwise would've been a 4 yr starter.

We'll see how he plays in the Sr Bowl and how his pro day goes.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree! I'm not sure either QB is worth a top 5 pick, but I could be wrong. And the problem is, there isn't a FA that I'd want or one that would want to come here.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see 49ers screwing us fans and winning this last game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree! I'm not sure either QB is worth a top 5 pick, but I could be wrong. And the problem is, there isn't a FA that I'd want or one that would want to come here.

Yep, I see FA QBs more as a way to get backups like Gabbert rather than Franchise QBs. I've seen too many average QBs get way overpaid on the FA market. The draft is the best place to find a franchise QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see 49ers screwing us fans and winning this last game.

Hopefully the Rams play like they did last week against Seattle. Fisher might be playing to keep his job and a Ram's fan made a comment that the Rams have a bunch of defensive players becoming FA's after the season so they are playing for a new deal.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now that J. Smith for ND got hurt I would like to draft Bosa or I guess Geoff. I do like his upside but he has big Bust potential.