• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe the QB is there, and you need a QB...you take him. Period. End of story. The notion that you should 'wait to pick a QB till you build the entire universe around him' or 'you can't pick a QB because we don't have the coaching staff to develop him' is pure rubbish.

You don't take a QB simply because it's a need. You take him because you believe he truly can take you somewhere.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe the QB is there, and you need a QB...you take him. Period. End of story. The notion that you should 'wait to pick a QB till you build the entire universe around him' or 'you can't pick a QB because we don't have the coaching staff to develop him' is pure rubbish.

You don't take a QB simply because it's a need. You take him because you believe he truly can take you somewhere.
Sure ,but do you see a QB worth taking in this draft that can take this team anywhere? I don't.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure ,but do you see a QB worth taking in this draft that can take this team anywhere? I don't.

I can't honestly say because I don't watch much college football.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't know either because i'm not a NFL scout, but IF that is the case, then don't take QB in round 1.

We don't have to force one, just take a hard look. A QB prospect only needs to be worth our pick, we don't need "extra value" in this situation.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't watch college ball so I just go on what some of the so-called experts say. Apparently, this draft doesn't have any QBs that have the word star written on them. Some good prospects but none are NFL ready. I think there are at least a couple that are worth drafting and really depends how high in the draft you to reach for them. Taking Goff at #5 is a risk but I would snatch him up in the 2nd round immediately if he happened to fall that far.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't watch college ball so I just go on what some of the so-called experts say. Apparently, this draft doesn't have any QBs that have the word star written on them. Some good prospects but none are NFL ready. I think there are at least a couple that are worth drafting and really depends how high in the draft you to reach for them. Taking Goff at #5 is a risk but I would snatch him up in the 2nd round immediately if he happened to fall that far.

Yeah, so far it doesn't appear any QB is worth a top 5? But should opinions change and say for example Goff is worth #5, i'd be ok even if he doesn't start right off.

In fact, for ANY QB we might draft now or in the future, woudn't push him to play before he's ready.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so far it doesn't appear any QB is worth a top 5? But should opinions change and say for example Goff is worth #5, i'd be ok even if he doesn't start right off.

In fact, for ANY QB we might draft now or in the future, woudn't push him to play before he's ready.

The mock's I've seen have Paxton Lynch going top 5. I don't know a thing about him. Purguy doesn't like him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The mock's I've seen have Paxton Lynch going top 5. I don't know a thing about him. Purguy doesn't like him.

Yeah, he could be another possibility, should Cleveland pass on him.

BTW - i prefer a QB prospect who is a good passer. He might not have speed in the 40, he might not be of ideal height, he might not have the strongest arm, he might not be athletic; but if he has good passing skills, take him.

"skills" to also include intangibles that go along with passing, not just throwing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he could be another possibility, should Cleveland pass on him.

BTW - i prefer a QB prospect who is a good passer. He might not have speed in the 40, he might not be of ideal height, he might not have the strongest arm, he might not be athletic; but if he has good passing skills, take him.

"skills" to also include intangibles that go along with passing, not just throwing.
From what I've read today Goff is better in the pocket than Lynch and farther along in his development

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Goff a bit but I don't know enough to say they should take him....But the problem with taking a QB in the top 5 or so that is near the top of the first round is that you will end up paying him like a starting QB even before training camp starts but if you like a QB you may have to take him higher than you would like. Ideally if a non-blue chip QB, but still liked by an organization, is available is that they would be able to get their QB later than 8 or 10 in the first round so as not to put to much pressure or feel they have to rush him along.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually like Goff a bit but I don't know enough to say they should take him....But the problem with taking a QB in the top 5 or so that is near the top of the first round is that you will end up paying him like a starting QB even before training camp starts but if you like a QB you may have to take him higher than you would like. Ideally if a non-blue chip QB, but still liked by an organization, is available is that they would be able to get their QB later than 8 or 10 in the first round so as not to put to much pressure or feel they have to rush him along.

true but this is the dilemna faced by NFL teams without a good QB. You do your evaluation and due diligence, and can only trust your results are correct. So if you determine he isn't "blue chip" and not worth your spot, then pass.

While they might consider trading down to obain value, this is also a tricky proposition. You first need another team to trade with, and they need to be in the range you need to go. Then you need to hope no one takes the QB you've targetted, and it isn't just the teams that follow, someone can trade up.

Not saying don't trade down at all, but don't do it only for this purpose.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Goff in the Armed Services Bowl 25-37, 467 yards and 6 tds. Broke Aaron Rodgers record. Will his stock rise?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jared Goff in the Armed Services Bowl 25-37, 467 yards and 6 tds. Broke Aaron Rodgers record. Will his stock rise?

no doubt it'll rise.

all these early mocks already have the 49ers taking him. He isn't going to do this in the NFL, but if he has a high level of passing skills, draft him. while other factors DO count, lets not get too caught up in it. the main thing far and away, is passing skills, that is the nature of the NFL.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt it'll rise.

all these early mocks already have the 49ers taking him. He isn't going to do this in the NFL, but if he has a high level of passing skills, draft him. while other factors DO count, lets not get too caught up in it. the main thing far and away, is passing skills, that is the nature of the NFL.

He would be a departure from the Alex Smith and Kaepernick picks

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He would be a departure from the Alex Smith and Kaepernick picks

from Kaep certainly, from Alex Smith MAYBE not too much?

i read Goff is good at short and medium lengths, but not so well on long routes. Alex Smith isn't so bad a passer (now) on short and medium routes.

Anyway, Goff seems like a GOOD passer and at this point, see no reason why we can't draft him. Even if he doesn't start from game 1, i'd be ok with it. In fact, rather they not force him into the line-up.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from Kaep certainly, from Alex Smith MAYBE not too much?

i read Goff is good at short and medium lengths, but not so well on long routes. Alex Smith isn't so bad a passer (now) on short and medium routes.

Anyway, Goff seems like a GOOD passer and at this point, see no reason why we can't draft him. Even if he doesn't start from game 1, i'd be ok with it. In fact, rather they not force him into the line-up.

I probably didn't explain what I meant by that. Both Kaep and Smith were considered projects and not NFL ready when drafted. Kaep played the Pistol offense in College. Alex Smith was only 20 years old when he was drafted and played in a Run and Shoot type college offense and was not thought to be NFL ready but scouts thought he had a higher upside than other QBs, particularly Aaron Rodgers. While Goff is not thought to be NFL ready day 1, he played in an offense better suited to the NFL than Smith and Kaep and is farther along than both Smith and Kaep were coming out of college.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is considered a bigger project than Goff. Has really good physical tools but not as far along as Goff. Which one you want?
Not really sure. Goff coming in on a high note into the draft but many 'experts' have Lynch as the overall better QB if he enters the draft. The only thing I can post at this moment is that if one of these QB are at our top spot when it comes we should pick a QB in the first round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I probably didn't explain what I meant by that. Both Kaep and Smith were considered projects and not NFL ready when drafted. Kaep played the Pistol offense in College. Alex Smith was only 20 years old when he was drafted and played in a Run and Shoot type college offense and was not thought to be NFL ready but scouts thought he had a higher upside than other QBs, particularly Aaron Rodgers. While Goff is not thought to be NFL ready day 1, he played in an offense better suited to the NFL than Smith and Kaep and is farther along than both Smith and Kaep were coming out of college.

oh ok.