• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the Niners select an OL in the first round, and then possibly trade up at the end of the 1st round and get a QB. Get a pass rusher through FA. Bottom line, can we trust Baalke with the upcoming draft?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not WR worth that pick.
This is the frustrating part about next year's draft. Usually when all of the QBs are risky then there is a stud WR to fall back on. Not this year.

There is good film and bad film on all 3 top QB prospects. I also suspect all 3 might go top 10. A lack of pass rushers and WRs will make the risk seem more worthwhile.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the frustrating part about next year's draft. Usually when all of the QBs are risky then there is a stud WR to fall back on. Not this year.

There is good film and bad film on all 3 top QB prospects. I also suspect all 3 might go top 10. A lack of pass rushers and WRs will make the risk seem more worthwhile.
there is only what 1 top WR in this class. Not a lot of pass rushers in this draft. This draft is good at CB, MLB, OT's and RB's. I want Smith, I would settle for a OT or CB in the Top 10.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the Niners select an OL in the first round, and then possibly trade up at the end of the 1st round and get a QB. Get a pass rusher through FA. Bottom line, can we trust Baalke with the upcoming draft?
Can we trust him with this draft and 60+ mill in FA. I don't know. I agree get a pass rusher through FA, Draft a OT with the 1st pick, and then grab CB, QB and WR and TE in this draft. Don't forget we need a TE. I would also grab a guard in FA(a proven guy not a Flashy Pro bowler that will cost u a ton.) Have your 1st rd pick start and then trade AD or Staley for something if you go tackle with the 1st pick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is only what 1 top WR in this class. Not a lot of pass rushers in this draft. This draft is good at CB, MLB, OT's and RB's. I want Smith, I would settle for a OT or CB in the Top 10.
Its funny that the Rams and Niners have a lot of overlapping team needs as they both have probably the worst passing attacks in the league. Drafting WR or QB is a fool's errand when the incoming secondary class is so good. Instead of trying to swim upstream, the better teams are probably going to be going after the secondary players even early on.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny that the Rams and Niners have a lot of overlapping team needs as they both have probably the worst passing attacks in the league. Drafting WR or QB is a fool's errand when the incoming secondary class is so good. Instead of trying to swim upstream, the better teams are probably going to be going after the secondary players even early on.

How good are these corners? Are any of them shut down type corners? I could see the 49ers taking one if they are that good. The 49ers have a number of young corners on the team. None of the ones drafted have shown to be great so far, but are playing okay. They've struggled at times as young players do and they haven't been helped by an invisible pass rush. I hope these QBs don't go quickly in 1st round if not that worthy a pick.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we trust him with this draft and 60+ mill in FA. I don't know. I agree get a pass rusher through FA, Draft a OT with the 1st pick, and then grab CB, QB and WR and TE in this draft. Don't forget we need a TE. I would also grab a guard in FA(a proven guy not a Flashy Pro bowler that will cost u a ton.) Have your 1st rd pick start and then trade AD or Staley for something if you go tackle with the 1st pick.

I actually don't see TE as a big need. I like Celek and Blake Bell could end up being a nice compliment. A good pass rusher would be big. Tank Carradine looks like he might bust. Lemonier is a bust and Harold is unproven. So far, other than Lynch, only Armstead looks like a player who can get to the QB

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good are these corners? Are any of them shut down type corners? I could see the 49ers taking one if they are that good. The 49ers have a number of young corners on the team. None of the ones drafted have shown to be great so far, but are playing okay. They've struggled at times as young players do and they haven't been helped by an invisible pass rush. I hope these QBs don't go quickly in 1st round if not that worthy a pick.
The big thing I'm hearing is that teams haven't even bothered challenging Mackensie Alexander at Clemson. He has no career interceptions because no one throws the ball to his receiver. So he is either really good or untested.

Vernon Hargreaves is a bit on the safer side. Typical #1 CB that could be good or could be average but probably wont be bad.

Jalen Ramsey and Jeremy Cash are more versatile. Ramsey being able to play FS and maybe CB or even SS while cash could play SS or maybe Nickel CB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't see TE as a big need. I like Celek and Blake Bell could end up being a nice compliment. A good pass rusher would be big. Tank Carradine looks like he might bust. Lemonier is a bust and Harold is unproven. So far, other than Lynch, only Armstead looks like a player who can get to the QB
Yeah maybe but wouldn't hurt to draft one after the 3rd rd. I did like what I saw from Armstead this past week. He pushed his guy back multiple times. Our best bet to get a Pass rusher would be through FA. Harold will be better next year. He needs to add some strength to his speed. I just think having J.Smith at MLB with bowman would help big time. we add speed and a cover guy. Build like we did last time with MLB. Carolina did it and then they improved in the secondary. They have one of the best combos at MLB. I think Smith would help us BIG time. Taking him in the top is tough I understand.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is McShay's mock and who he had the 49ers drafting.

Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

This is assuming the 49ers move on from Colin Kaepernick in the offseason. I think Goff would benefit from returning to school for his senior season to get bigger and stronger, but I get the sense that's not going to happen. He got into some bad habits with his mechanics behind an O-line that did not protect well, but when his feet are right, he can be deadly accurate. With a high football IQ and great work ethic, I have faith he will put in the time to get better.

I just hope if the 49ers go this route they don't royally screw this up. I definitely don't want Pears, Devey, or Martin blocking for him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing I'm hearing is that teams haven't even bothered challenging Mackensie Alexander at Clemson. He has no career interceptions because no one throws the ball to his receiver. So he is either really good or untested.

Vernon Hargreaves is a bit on the safer side. Typical #1 CB that could be good or could be average but probably wont be bad.

Jalen Ramsey and Jeremy Cash are more versatile. Ramsey being able to play FS and maybe CB or even SS while cash could play SS or maybe Nickel CB.

I only watched one game that Alexander played and that was the game against Notre Dame and he played well Will Fuller the top WR had one of his worst games and Alexander was the guy that covered him and few teams could this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is McShay's mock and who he had the 49ers drafting.

Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

This is assuming the 49ers move on from Colin Kaepernick in the offseason. I think Goff would benefit from returning to school for his senior season to get bigger and stronger, but I get the sense that's not going to happen. He got into some bad habits with his mechanics behind an O-line that did not protect well, but when his feet are right, he can be deadly accurate. With a high football IQ and great work ethic, I have faith he will put in the time to get better.

I just hope if the 49ers go this route they don't royally screw this up. I definitely don't want Pears, Devey, or Martin blocking for him.
I don't mind taking a chance on Geoff I just don't want to take him so high and I don't want to see him behind this line. It can kill his career.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

do we have a choice?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't mind taking a chance on Geoff I just don't want to take him so high and I don't want to see him behind this line. It can kill his career.

if he is worth that high a pick, draft him regardless of our O-line. if he isn't worth the pick, just pass.

ie evaluate the pick based on his ability first and forement, then how he'll fit our scheme. Don't factor in the condition of our CURRENT talent level.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he is worth that high a pick, draft him regardless of our O-line. if he isn't worth the pick, just pass.

ie evaluate the pick based on his ability first and forement, then how he'll fit our scheme. Don't factor in the condition of our CURRENT talent level.
I disagree, I want the Oline fixed before we draft a QB or have at least have a plan set for when we draft a QB. If we go into next season with the same Oline we will get this kid killed and his career might be done. We did that with Smith and it took him 7 years to become and Avg QB. I don't want to see that with our next QB. Build that Oline.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, I want the Oline fixed before we draft a QB or have at least have a plan set for when we draft a QB. If we go into next season with the same Oline we will get this kid killed and his career might be done. We did that with Smith and it took him 7 years to become and Avg QB. I don't want to see that with our next QB. Build that Oline.

We can draft a QB, just sit him. That should be the plan anyway. No need to rush the QB into duty. We may have a new coaching staff by then.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can draft a QB, just sit him. That should be the plan anyway. No need to rush the QB into duty. We may have a new coaching staff by then.
I agree, but the seasons that Mariota and James are having most teams are going to want to start their Top 10 QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if you disagree, fine, but obviously we're not going into next season with the same O-line. Can it be fixed by next season? who knows, but we'll certainly try.

It is the same with QB or any position, we're always looking to improve but until they play, you never know by how much?

BTW - what does "fix the O-line" mean? How will you know it is fixed?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

also, there is a reason NFL teams draft a QB whenever they can, THEN fix the O-line. Teams don't "fix the O-line" first, then draft a QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, there is a reason NFL teams draft a QB whenever they can, THEN fix the O-line. Teams don't "fix the O-line" first, then draft a QB.
There are QBs that do well in their first year but there are also QBs that really struggle and are just not ready right away. I don't follow the teams of the QBs you just mentioned, but I am concerned about starting a rookie QB given the team's issues. Don't want to kill a QB confidence or have him develop bad habits, or worse yet another Alex Smith situation