• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are QBs that do well in their first year but there are also QBs that really struggle and are just not ready right away. I don't follow the teams of the QBs you just mentioned, but I am concerned about starting a rookie QB given the team's issues. Don't want to kill a QB confidence or have him develop bad habits, or worse yet another Alex Smith situation

i'm was only referring to the idea of not drafting a QB till we fix the O-line. To me that doesn't make sense.

That wasn't about starting or not starting a rookie QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm was only referring to the idea of not drafting a QB till we fix the O-line. To me that doesn't make sense.

That wasn't about starting or not starting a rookie QB.

Ok, I agree. Should draft one this year. Only reason I could see not too is if the following year's draft class was really rich with talent and you wanted to wait for one of those.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you disagree, fine, but obviously we're not going into next season with the same O-line. Can it be fixed by next season? who knows, but we'll certainly try.

It is the same with QB or any position, we're always looking to improve but until they play, you never know by how much?

BTW - what does "fix the O-line" mean? How will you know it is fixed?
I guess its not a long ways off. If we get AD back, tiller,kilgore,boone and Staley we would be ok from starters point of view but we need depth. Then we need a new OC to fix the scheme and then we would be ok I guess. I don't think we are far off. I would like to draft a guard or tackle in the 3rd round. Now if AD doesn't come back and boone leaves we will need to find 2 starters. then we might be in trouble. I don't want this staff to touch our new QB. We need a new staff to pick their QB. Imagine we draft a QB with the 1st pick and we have Tomsula and Chryst as our HC and OC with the new QB, OMG he would be in trouble.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, there is a reason NFL teams draft a QB whenever they can, THEN fix the O-line. Teams don't "fix the O-line" first, then draft a QB.
I some what disagree because we did the Oline 1st and then drafted Kap and we had success. I agree if the right QB is out there u take him but I don't know if the right QB is in this draft.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I agree. Should draft one this year. Only reason I could see not too is if the following year's draft class was really rich with talent and you wanted to wait for one of those.
yes I don't mind drafting a QB but I wouldn't play him until we fix the oline. I would like to see the guy sit for the year, maybe play the last 2-3 games of the year to get some experience.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I don't mind drafting a QB but I wouldn't play him until we fix the oline. I would like to see the guy sit for the year, maybe play the last 2-3 games of the year to get some experience.

There is no reason to start year one. Right now oline is just one of a few concerns I would have about starting one of these rookies next year. It seems bad teams often feel the pressure to start young QBs before they are ready into bad situations that end up badly.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to start year one. Right now oline is just one of a few concerns I would have about starting one of these rookies next year. It seems bad teams often feel the pressure to start young QBs before they are ready into bad situations that end up badly.
I agree, let the kid learn instead of getting beat up and lose confidence. Now in some cases it helps like James and Mirota(killed his name I know).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I some what disagree because we did the Oline 1st and then drafted Kap and we had success. I agree if the right QB is out there u take him but I don't know if the right QB is in this draft.

If you look back yes it sort of panned out that way, but if you go back to 2010, we didn't purposely draft Davis and Iupati, thinking we'll draft Kaep.

So we wouldn't purposely draft O-linemen THINKING we'll draft QB next in 2017. Reason is no one knows what each draft will produce. No one knows how the draft will pan out before our pick.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think back in 2010 the team when into the draft wanting to improve the oline and dline. I believe in the old saying games are won and lost in the trenches. Makes both the running and passing games better regardless of who is playing RB or QB. I think Denver had three different 1,000 yard rushers under Shanahan. Amazing what can happen when you have the right people in place.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look back yes it sort of panned out that way, but if you go back to 2010, we didn't purposely draft Davis and Iupati, thinking we'll draft Kaep.

So we wouldn't purposely draft O-linemen THINKING we'll draft QB next in 2017. Reason is no one knows what each draft will produce. No one knows how the draft will pan out before our pick.
I think they were(maybe not Kap specifically) but they knew they were going to draft a QB once they built the Oline. They knew Smith wasn't the answer.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get in the Top 3 we might have a shot at Bosa DE from OSU. They say he plays like JJ Watt. This would be awesome if we landed him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we can get in the Top 3 we might have a shot at Bosa DE from OSU. They say he plays like JJ Watt. This would be awesome if we landed him.

We should take the most talent we can, at least in rounds 1 to 4. if Bosa is it in round 1, fine with me. Yes, ideally we want a QB, Pass rusher, and i'd even add LT, but if these aren't there then don't force it.

Not saying we go very extreme, but we should be leaning over to the 'BPA' side, vice Need.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should take the most talent we can, at least in rounds 1 to 4. if Bosa is it in round 1, fine with me. Yes, ideally we want a QB, Pass rusher, and i'd even add LT, but if these aren't there then don't force it.

Not saying we go very extreme, but we should be leaning over to the 'BPA' side, vice Need.
We will have options. If we draft a Tackle what do we do with AD? make him a Guard? Again my dream pick would be J.Smith from ND MLB/OLB type that adds speed, cover skills, pass rushing skills and athletic ability if not him I would love Bosa or one of the LT prospects.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The issue with a QB is we don't have the staff in place to mentor or develop a QB. With this staff, we would need a QB ready to play at the NFL level.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will have options. If we draft a Tackle what do we do with AD? make him a Guard? Again my dream pick would be J.Smith from ND MLB/OLB type that adds speed, cover skills, pass rushing skills and athletic ability if not him I would love Bosa or one of the LT prospects.

i wouldn't pass on an LT i project to be an 'All-Pro', because AD intends to return. i would not go into the draft thinking AD will play 'as good as new".

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The issue with a QB is we don't have the staff in place to mentor or develop a QB. With this staff, we would need a QB ready to play at the NFL level.

maybe true, but if i evaluate a QB prospect worth the pick, this shouldn't stop us from drafting him. if the Colts had a poor coaching staff, should they have passed on Andrew Luck? Coaching staff's change quickly nowadays, and this one is already on shaky ground.

BTW - This is a different matter from evaluating whether he is worth the pick or not. The above is after the evaluation process. So if your evaluation is wrong in the first place, that is different from not having a good coaching staff in place.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe true, but if i evaluate a QB prospect worth the pick, this shouldn't stop us from drafting him. if the Colts had a poor coaching staff, should they have passed on Andrew Luck? Coaching staff's change quickly nowadays, and this one is already on shaky ground.

BTW - This is a different matter from evaluating whether he is worth the pick or not. The above is after the evaluation process. So if your evaluation is wrong in the first place, that is different from not having a good coaching staff in place.
cant compare luck to this group. luck was suppose to be a lock and now look at luck. he is almost a bust.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Understood however, you can ruin talent just as much. Going back to the Smith/Rodgers analysis. Rodgers with the 49ers staff back then, do you think he would've turned out just as good as he is today? I am not disputing your theory, just shedding more light and offering only opinions from afar as a fan.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Understood however, you can ruin talent just as much. Going back to the Smith/Rodgers analysis. Rodgers with the 49ers staff back then, do you think he would've turned out just as good as he is today? I am not disputing your theory, just shedding more light and offering only opinions from afar as a fan.

yes, no problem here.

My opinion is a good QB is a good QB, they hang around long enough because of the premium on the position. Look at some of these guys like Clausen, Keenum , Yates,etc. The point i'm getting at is Aaron Rodgers would've been a good NFL QB even if he started with the 49ers. He may not have developed as fast (he did sit his first three years anyway), but eventually his talent would've came thru.

Had that 49er Staff not developed him, that Staff would all be gone and another Staff chosen for Rodgers in mind. Rodgers wouldn't have left the NFL and gone off to oblivion. So delayed career yes, but not ruined.

Most top QB picks go to a very bad team, so most have a tough start to their careers. IF we draft a QB now, he'll have a rough start too, but not all of it on the coaching staff.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a QB. I'm sick of us having a poor offense.