• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he's making $16M next year. $12M in bonuses, $4M in salary. Just gives them flexibility in the short-term to make more moves. I don't think this has anything to do with Bum.
I was going on the assumption that a front loaded contract (since bonuses don't count toward salary, that gives the team flexibility to pick someone up now, not to make a long term deal) that they aren't looking toward making room down the road. That points toward the idea that the Giants are going to pick up someone like JD Martinez, Todd Frazier or Curtis Granderson, with the intent of letting them walk after the 2017 season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon has an interesting contact:

2017: $4M
2018: $10M
opt-out
2019: $14M
2020: $14M

He also received a $20M signing bonus to bring the total to $62M. He'll receive $12M up front (not a bad day). Also gets a full no-trade clause.

Very similar to Cueto's deal.

The signing bonus does not count against the payroll, I believe, but I'll need to verify that. Would save space against the luxury tax if so.
I believe signing bonuses DO count against payroll; they are amortized over the life of the contract. So, in this case, $5MM a year. So for tax purposes he's being counted as 9, 15, 19, 19.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox did most of the NL a huge favor by trading Sale to the Red Sox and not the Nationals. Hefty price tag though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants GM Bobby Evans tells John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle that he checked in with the Pirates on Andrew McCutchen, but Evans didn’t imply that there was anything more than due diligence behind the call.

San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

It's sounding like the only move left will be a low-key move, if any. And I'm totally okay with that. I hope Mac Williamson gets a fair shot, because that kid hits rockets, and Parker is a very useful bench guy.

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Samardjiza
Competition between Cain and Blach, with Beede, Suarez, Blackburn being long shots.

Melancon
Smith
Law
Strickland
Kontos
Gearrin
Osish/Okert/Outside FA/Suarez

Posey
Belt
Panik
Crawford
Nunez
Williamson
Span
Pence

Brown
Kelby
Parker
Gorkys
EA/Calixte

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe signing bonuses DO count against payroll; they are amortized over the life of the contract. So, in this case, $5MM a year. So for tax purposes he's being counted as 9, 15, 19, 19.

I don't know why this is so hard to find. I keep getting articles about international spending or NFL rules. Ugh

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sounding like the only move left will be a low-key move, if any. And I'm totally okay with that. I hope Mac Williamson gets a fair shot, because that kid hits rockets, and Parker is a very useful bench guy.

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Samardjiza
Competition between Cain and Blach, with Beede, Suarez, Blackburn being long shots.

Melancon
Smith
Law
Strickland
Kontos
Gearrin

Posey
Belt
Panik
Crawford
Nunez
Williamson
Span
Pence

Brown
Kelby
Parker
Gorkys
EA/Calixte

Of course, I forgot Gillaspie. He's probably a shoe-in, so Kelby, EA, and Calixte will battle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelby has options. EA has his weird minor league clause. Calixte has the spotlight.

Will be an interesting battle.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a tidbit, Giants have signed Bryan Morris to a minor league deal, per Melancon's conference call. Evans said it was a non-roster invitee. He had some decent numbers. Don't know much more about him aside that Im hoping he's one of those gems this organization tends to find for the pen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a tidbit, Giants have signed Bryan Morris to a minor league deal, per Melancon's conference call. Evans said it was a non-roster invitee. He had some decent numbers. Don't know much more about him aside that Im hoping he's one of those gems this organization tends to find for the pen.
He had one heck of a half season with Miami in 2014. Other than that, he has been mediocre in the big leagues. Considering the bullpen's current makeup, he probably will be injury insurance at this point.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He throws a 97 mph sinker and cutter. He'll make $1.25M if he makes it to the bigs, and can earn up to $2M.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Law is not too high on the 4 year deal with Melancon (couldn't read all of the article but the one year deal seemed pretty ridiculous) - Why is anyone giving relievers four-year deals?

Without reading the article I can answer that last question: because that's what the market price is. Teams learned this playoffs how absolutely CRITICAL the pen is especially a stud horse closer. Chapman wants 6 years and will probably get 5.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Samardjiza

Melancon
Smith
Law
Strickland
Kontos
Gearrin

Posey
Belt
Panik
Crawford
Nunez
Williamson
Span
Pence

Brown
Kelby
Parker
Gorkys
EA/Calixte

Bobby Evans was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that it's not good to have all of your slots locked with veterans as the farm needs something to aspire to. We are locked at C, 1B, 2B, SS, CF, RF. Semi-set at 3B. You need an open spot or two (or at least no long term contracts in a spot or two) to foster the idea that you can grow up through the system and make the big club and start. Having home growns like Buster, Belt, Panik, and Craw helps, but you need open spots too.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that the Giants may be shopping Chris Heston - MLB Rumor Central: Giants shopping Chris Heston?
My, how he has fallen in the depth charts. He went from stud rookie mid way through 2015 to an afterthought at the end of 2016. Kind of reminds me of Ryan Jensen, except Heston's rookie season was far better than Jensen's.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are rumors that the Giants may be shopping Chris Heston - MLB Rumor Central: Giants shopping Chris Heston?
My, how he has fallen in the depth charts. He went from stud rookie mid way through 2015 to an afterthought at the end of 2016. Kind of reminds me of Ryan Jensen, except Heston's rookie season was far better than Jensen's.
Yea. Makes me think that the Giants don't feel his late-season problems in '15 were related to his hitting "the wall", and were, instead, more about his lack of ability to adjust.

Or, they are super-stacked with 4 starters and have enough comp for the #5 slot that he is expendable...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Evans was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that it's not good to have all of your slots locked with veterans as the farm needs something to aspire to. We are locked at C, 1B, 2B, SS, CF, RF. Semi-set at 3B. You need an open spot or two (or at least no long term contracts in a spot or two) to foster the idea that you can grow up through the system and make the big club and start. Having home growns like Buster, Belt, Panik, and Craw helps, but you need open spots too.

Totally makes sense. Not only the point that the minor leaguers need to feel like they have a shot, but it gets friggin expensive otherwise.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Makes me think that the Giants don't feel his late-season problems in '15 were related to his hitting "the wall", and were, instead, more about his lack of ability to adjust.

Or, they are super-stacked with 4 starters and have enough comp for the #5 slot that he is expendable...

Well, we have Blach, Cain, Suarez, Blackburn, Beede, Gregorio, Slania, and Stratton around. Are all those guys ready to step in right now? No, but they're close and Heston actually has a bit of value where we might be able to get a low-A prospect or cash relief out of it. And Crick has the benefit of being younger so he sticks around.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Law is not too high on the 4 year deal with Melancon (couldn't read all of the article but the one year deal seemed pretty ridiculous) - Why is anyone giving relievers four-year deals?

Well, Wade Davis was just traded for Jorge Soler. The going rate for relievers right now is insanely high. Sure, we would all love every player to be on 1-year deals. No risk! The market doesn't work that way though, Keith. I'm surprised he said something like that.