• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Giants didn't gain or lose anyone in the rule 5 draft this morning. Rogers must not be a legit player. I figured he was near ready, but no one wanted to give him a shot.

Shows what we know...
Just read some about that draft. Seems like the Red Sox are losing prospects left and right. After trading what, 7 of them recently, they lost two more in the draft. Will be interesting to see how their farm looks this year.

As for the Padres, will they will be an interesting team to play. One of the three picks they acquired today hit .362 . . . in rookie ball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read some about that draft. Seems like the Red Sox are losing prospects left and right. After trading what, 7 of them recently, they lost two more in the draft. Will be interesting to see how their farm looks this year.

As for the Padres, will they will be an interesting team to play. One of the three picks they acquired today hit .362 . . . in rookie ball.
The Pads are walking away from the Rule 5 draft with the top 3 players. That's insane.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pads are walking away from the Rule 5 draft with the top 3 players. That's insane.
16 teams made 18 choices total in the MLB portion of the draft. Of those 16 teams, two of them traded away their pick to another team that had already picked. One of those two teams did make and kept a 2nd pick. That means only 15 teams have Rule 5 players on their roster. The Padres are carrying 16% of all players picked in the MLB Rule 5 draft. It will be interesting if they keep any of the three as none have played above low class A ball. Also interesting is that their 40 man roster now stands at 36 with these picks. Wonder how they will fill those final 4 slots.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Makes me think that the Giants don't feel his late-season problems in '15 were related to his hitting "the wall", and were, instead, more about his lack of ability to adjust.

Or, they are super-stacked with 4 starters and have enough comp for the #5 slot that he is expendable...
I think he got tired in 2015 and couldn't repeat his mechanics. Then, in 2016 it was just one injury after another and he never got right. They needed the 40 spot and others are more likely to contribute on the ML level.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jansen is deciding between LA and Washington now? Who else is looking for a closer? Could his market have dried up? Could the doggies end up getting a deal?
Fish are the big players for Jansen now. I think he takes his talents to South Beach.

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that closer Mark Melancon will be the only major pickup the Giants make this offseason. The club has all but reached its payroll limit as a result of adding Melancon on a four-year, $62MM deal Monday, and it’s unlikely to make any significant dollar-for-dollar trades, general manager Bobby Evans told John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle. “I don’t think there’s anything more to ask of ownership,” Evans said. “It’s more what I can do with what we have.” The Giants logged opening-day payrolls upward of $172MM in the previous two seasons, and Jason Martinez of MLBTR and Roster Resource estimates they’ll start 2017 at $183MM-plus.

San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that closer Mark Melancon will be the only major pickup the Giants make this offseason. The club has all but reached its payroll limit as a result of adding Melancon on a four-year, $62MM deal Monday, and it’s unlikely to make any significant dollar-for-dollar trades, general manager Bobby Evans told John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle. “I don’t think there’s anything more to ask of ownership,” Evans said. “It’s more what I can do with what we have.” The Giants logged opening-day payrolls upward of $172MM in the previous two seasons, and Jason Martinez of MLBTR and Roster Resource estimates they’ll start 2017 at $183MM-plus.

San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors
Saw that and was about to post here as well. It certainly seems that the Giants are going to maybe add a couple more non-roster invitees and that's it. I like it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Desmond going to Colorado and Fowler going to St Louis, the Giants now pick at #19 (we originally had pick #21).

Still a lot of QO FA out there...

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Desmond going to Colorado and Fowler going to St Louis, the Giants now pick at #19 (we originally had pick #21).

Still a lot of QO FA out there...
If the Marlins (#13) land Kenley Jansen, there's one more pick we move up.
The Astros (#15) have been smart. All those pick ups and none have cost their first round pick.
Outside of these two, the most likely teams between us and pick #11 to get bumped would be the Yankees (#16) and Mariners (#17).
The way the White Sox (#11) have been selling, they won't pick up some big name. The Pirates (#12) peddling McCutchen seem to suggest the same, as does the fact that the Royals (#14) and Tigers (#18) have been selling or trying to sell.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting discussion was brought up at McCovey Chronicles today.

This offseason, Posey and Bumgarner would have been free agents had they not signed extensions.

Posey has 5/$107M, with a $22M team option for a 6th.

Bumgarner has 1/$11.5M left with two $12M team options.

I'm guessing on the open market right now, Bum would be looking at a $250M. Posey would probably be looking at $150M-$200M.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda off topic, but it's the off season right?

invited to a 'vip' party at att on the 14th (my b'day coincidentally) for group ticket leads. as with all things giants it was a class affair. entrance was on the the club level with food and drinks upon entry. live band and a few local winery's pouring. the giants locker room was open, set up with more food, wine (rich aurilla pouring his red stitch wines- he was more than accommodating in chatting with fans, posing for pictures, etc.) beer (local from 1/2 moon bay with their selections), and of course lou seal in holiday finery. fun to see the lockers - madbum in the far right corner, and a few displays of 'uniforms of the day'. plenty of doublebubble for the taking... great historical photos lining the entry

the dugout was open, rainy night so we hovered under the overhang. smaller than i would have guessed. picked up the bullpen phone and actually got a dial-tone, but no one picked up so i was unable to summon melancon :)

just before the steps to the dugout, there are 2 batting/pitching cages for warm-up. the whole complex is off an aisle used by fans to access their club seats and there is a giant window looking into the cages. unfortunately now the window is blacked out. story is bochy had the window cardboarded in the 8th when cain was in the midst of his perfect game against the astros (i luckily was in attendance that foggy wed eve) and he didn't want anyone to see he had some underground bully work going. interesting story, veracity unknown....

no big deal, just parts of att that i hadn't seen b'4

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda off topic, but it's the off season right?

invited to a 'vip' party at att on the 14th (my b'day coincidentally) for group ticket leads. as with all things giants it was a class affair. entrance was on the the club level with food and drinks upon entry. live band and a few local winery's pouring. the giants locker room was open, set up with more food, wine (rich aurilla pouring his red stitch wines- he was more than accommodating in chatting with fans, posing for pictures, etc.) beer (local from 1/2 moon bay with their selections), and of course lou seal in holiday finery. fun to see the lockers - madbum in the far right corner, and a few displays of 'uniforms of the day'. plenty of doublebubble for the taking... great historical photos lining the entry

the dugout was open, rainy night so we hovered under the overhang. smaller than i would have guessed. picked up the bullpen phone and actually got a dial-tone, but no one picked up so i was unable to summon melancon :)

just before the steps to the dugout, there are 2 batting/pitching cages for warm-up. the whole complex is off an aisle used by fans to access their club seats and there is a giant window looking into the cages. unfortunately now the window is blacked out. story is bochy had the window cardboarded in the 8th when cain was in the midst of his perfect game against the astros (i luckily was in attendance that foggy wed eve) and he didn't want anyone to see he had some underground bully work going. interesting story, veracity unknown....

no big deal, just parts of att that i hadn't seen b'4

Sounds like a great time.

I like that Cainer story. I'm sure that happens a lot now that you mention it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To everyone:

Happy New Year. I'm off to Africa for 3 weeks, with limited connectivity. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to check in once in a while, but not likely very often.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To everyone:

Happy New Year. I'm off to Africa for 3 weeks, with limited connectivity. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to check in once in a while, but not likely very often.
Have fun, tz. Happy Chanukah.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins? Why?

I guess he is insurance for 3B?

We are already over-stocked at MLB infielders. Adding another one seems counter-productive. Not sure how this is a match for either side.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins? Why?

I guess he is insurance for 3B?

We are already over-stocked at MLB infielders. Adding another one seems counter-productive. Not sure how this is a match for either side.
This is the first :L move I've seen the FO do this offseason. I hope it is their only one. It doesn't make sense at all. There is no need for him, considering his numbers from the past two years and his age. Veteran presence is hardly needed.