• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first :L move I've seen the FO do this offseason. I hope it is their only one. It doesn't make sense at all. There is no need for him, considering his numbers from the past two years and his age. Veteran presence is hardly needed.
I posted over in the NL West Smack Talk folder that the only thing I can think of as a reason for this is that he is basically getting a job interview as a coach. But why bring him in under the pretenses of being a player? And why would he chose the Giants? He is a longtime Philly and grew up an As fan.

Maybe it just isn't a big deal. Maybe he just doesn't want to hang 'me up just heat, and he wanted one last shot at being a bench guy on a winning team. While there is decent depth in the infield here, adding an additional body can't really hurt. Especially one with his resume.

:noidea:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins? Why?

I guess he is insurance for 3B?

We are already over-stocked at MLB infielders. Adding another one seems counter-productive. Not sure how this is a match for either side.

This is the first :L move I've seen the FO do this offseason. I hope it is their only one. It doesn't make sense at all. There is no need for him, considering his numbers from the past two years and his age. Veteran presence is hardly needed.

I doubt he has any intentions of going to the minors, so he's probably looking at places where he can show he has value.

Between Florida and Arizona, offense tends to inflate in Arizona. If he comes out strong with the bat, people will notice. Better chance at that in Arizona.

The Giants are known to be a veteran-friendly place. He's not going to be expected to be a grandfather during the Spring on a young team, like say the Padres for instance. He's just another player here, but also a player who is going to get a lot of attention given his ties to the Bay Area.

Most importantly, with Brandon Crawford off playing in the WBC, there is playing time to go around at SS. Kelby, Adrianza, Calixte, Ramiro Pena should all see a lot of time too, but Rollins will probably see time at 3rd and 2nd as well.

I think the Giants are pretty well stocked with middle infielders, but Jimmy targeted the Giants as a good option for him to build his value a bit. Knowing full-well that it might not even be with the Giants.

I may be really off-base with this, but that's how I intemperate the signing. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins? Why?

I guess he is insurance for 3B?

We are already over-stocked at MLB infielders. Adding another one seems counter-productive. Not sure how this is a match for either side.
He seems done.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted over in the NL West Smack Talk folder that the only thing I can think of as a reason for this is that he is basically getting a job interview as a coach. But why bring him in under the pretenses of being a player? And why would he chose the Giants? He is a longtime Philly and grew up an As fan.

Maybe it just isn't a big deal. Maybe he just doesn't want to hang 'me up just heat, and he wanted one last shot at being a bench guy on a winning team. While there is decent depth in the infield here, adding an additional body can't really hurt. Especially one with his resume.

:noidea:

I doubt he has any intentions of going to the minors, so he's probably looking at places where he can show he has value.

Between Florida and Arizona, offense tends to inflate in Arizona. If he comes out strong with the bat, people will notice. Better chance at that in Arizona.

The Giants are known to be a veteran-friendly place. He's not going to be expected to be a grandfather during the Spring on a young team, like say the Padres for instance. He's just another player here, but also a player who is going to get a lot of attention given his ties to the Bay Area.

Most importantly, with Brandon Crawford off playing in the WBC, there is playing time to go around at SS. Kelby, Adrianza, Calixte, Ramiro Pena should all see a lot of time too, but Rollins will probably see time at 3rd and 2nd as well.

I think the Giants are pretty well stocked with middle infielders, but Jimmy targeted the Giants as a good option for him to build his value a bit. Knowing full-well that it might not even be with the Giants.

I may be really off-base with this, but that's how I intemperate the signing. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense.

If a guy is trying to audition in spring training for decent playing time, it would seem counterproductive to avoid the young teams. They are the best opportunities to make a team and maybe steal some playing time. Going with a team that is fairly well stocked with infielders doesn't make as much sense. Its a weird choice on both sides. I would think the A's would be much better for Rollins. Guess they didn't want to take a flyer on him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy is trying to audition in spring training for decent playing time, it would seem counterproductive to avoid the young teams. They are the best opportunities to make a team and maybe steal some playing time. Going with a team that is fairly well stocked with infielders doesn't make as much sense. Its a weird choice on both sides. I would think the A's would be much better for Rollins. Guess they didn't want to take a flyer on him.

I feel it's actually the contrary. I'm simply talking about Spring Training here. Young teams like to see their young players as much as they can. During the regular season, sure he definitely has a better chance if those teams aren't quite ready for a young player to start the season. But in Spring it's a mixed bag. Just because Rollins signed a MiLB deal with us doesn't mean he's locked in here. He's going to decline a minor league assignment and try to find work elsewhere if he doesn't make the Giants. And there will be playing time to have with us in the Spring. And he'll definitely have a shot with us.

The Giants preference for veterans does worry me. They've shown in the past that they can feel obligated to bend backwards for veterans at the expense of players with options. It would be unfortunate for Kelby, who is better.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel it's actually the contrary. I'm simply talking about Spring Training here. Young teams like to see their young players as much as they can. During the regular season, sure he definitely has a better chance if those teams aren't quite ready for a young player to start the season. But in Spring it's a mixed bag. Just because Rollins signed a MiLB deal with us doesn't mean he's locked in here. He's going to decline a minor league assignment and try to find work elsewhere if he doesn't make the Giants. And there will be playing time to have with us in the Spring. And he'll definitely have a shot with us.

The Giants preference for veterans does worry me. They've shown in the past that they can feel obligated to bend backwards for veterans at the expense of players with options. It would be unfortunate for Kelby, who is better.
Not sure I quite agree with you about younger teams. What you say may apply for the A's but a team like the Padres is more about removing payroll and don't know exactly how they are going to fill the roster. In cases like that, its winner take all, and a mad dash to see how everyone performs ensues. Typically, a guy like Rollins, if he performs well, gets a good chance to make the team. Many veteran players invited to spring training, who don't make that team's roster, just simply get released or sent to the minor leagues. Only a few of them get traded or picked up by another team. Sure, some do get picked up by another organization and make the 25 man roster, but I would guess that more make the team that they are invited initially versus picked up by another team late in spring training but I don't have numbers to back that up.

As for Kelby, he already has the deck stacked against him this spring. I don't know if Calixte has options but Adrianza does not. With Nunez, Panik, Belt and Crawford guaranteed to make the team and both Gillaspie and Adrianza out of options, I think that Rollins makes it more likely that one of them gets dfa'd. I do agree that the veteran preference is worrisome. However, I think that Adrianza, Gillaspie, and possibly Calixte, could be more heavily impacted by it than Tomlinson. Of course, I realize that I may be overreacting and Rollins really has no shot at making the team, minus a bunch of injuries laying waste to the roster.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I quite agree with you about younger teams. What you say may apply for the A's but a team like the Padres is more about removing payroll and don't know exactly how they are going to fill the roster. In cases like that, its winner take all, and a mad dash to see how everyone performs ensues. Typically, a guy like Rollins, if he performs well, gets a good chance to make the team. Many veteran players invited to spring training, who don't make that team's roster, just simply get released or sent to the minor leagues. Only a few of them get traded or picked up by another team. Sure, some do get picked up by another organization and make the 25 man roster, but I would guess that more make the team that they are invited initially versus picked up by another team late in spring training but I don't have numbers to back that up.

As for Kelby, he already has the deck stacked against him this spring. I don't know if Calixte has options but Adrianza does not. With Nunez, Panik, Belt and Crawford guaranteed to make the team and both Gillaspie and Adrianza out of options, I think that Rollins makes it more likely that one of them gets dfa'd. I do agree that the veteran preference is worrisome. However, I think that Adrianza, Gillaspie, and possibly Calixte, could be more heavily impacted by it than Tomlinson. Of course, I realize that I may be overreacting and Rollins really has no shot at making the team, minus a bunch of injuries laying waste to the roster.

We're probably both right and wrong, in that it's a team by team case. I don't have the numbers to
back my claim up either, but it probably leans more towards guy who will accept minor league assignments, and I highly doubt he will.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're probably both right and wrong, in that it's a team by team case. I don't have the numbers to
back my claim up either, but it probably leans more towards guy who will accept minor league assignments, and I highly doubt he will.
No, no, NO!!!! I'M RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(insert joke disclaimer here for those who may think I'm being serious).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Morse and Justin Ruggiano signed minor league deals with the Giants. Yes, that Morse.

Giants are going all-in on veterans this camp.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Morse and Justin Ruggiano signed minor league deals with the Giants. Yes, that Morse.

Hopefully, they don't go full on stupid breaking camp with Rollins, Ruggiano and Morse all on the big league roster. Region is the only one I think should get a chance. Rollins was good 5 years ago and Morse had some magic for us in the playoffs but neither are worth a roster spot any longer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should read Ruggiano, not Region. Using a borrowed computer and it automatically fixed it a "misspelling" for me.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIRC, Morse is actually, or was at one time, a passable 1B. Perhaps we are resurrecting the idea of Belt playing LF if all the pieces fall into place? MacParker should be given every chance, but we are thin in the OF. Competition is always a good thing.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, they don't go full on stupid breaking camp with Rollins, Ruggiano and Morse all on the big league roster. Region is the only one I think should get a chance. Rollins was good 5 years ago and Morse had some magic for us in the playoffs but neither are worth a roster spot any longer.

I agree Ruggiano probably has the best chance out of the group to find a spot on the roster, and he's probably Gorkys' biggest competition at the moment, with Ruggiano's ability to play a fairly competent CF, and his great numbers versus lefties.

I can envision a bench of Parker, Ruggiano, Gillaspie, EA/Tomlinson/Calixte, and Brown that covers most of the areas you look for (versatility, power, somewhat lacking speed but Boch never really utilizes that anyway).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, Morse is actually, or was at one time, a passable 1B. Perhaps we are resurrecting the idea of Belt playing LF if all the pieces fall into place? MacParker should be given every chance, but we are thin in the OF. Competition is always a good thing.

Belt has never really seriously been an OF candidate and Morse isn't going to be the one the move him. Competition is good yes, my worry is that the Giants will feel obliged to hang onto Morse and Rollins over Kelby and Mac because they have options.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants signed a few other guys to minor league deals in the past couple of weeks. They are:
Raul Rivero - pitched for the Orioles org from 2005 to 2011, topping out at AA. The past 5 years, he's pitched in Mexico, Venezuela and Italy.
Josmil Pinto - a once promising catcher in the Twins org. Got a cup of coffee with the Brewers in 2016. The Giants are loading up on catchers. They also re-signed Travis Higgs (however, he was merely the bullpen catcher for the RiverCats last year).
Carlos Garcia - a rather poor hitting player from the Royals organization, they just moved him from the infield to the outfield this past season. He slashed .254/.322/.348 in 2016 at AA in part time duty. He's shown some speed in past years on the base paths but was only 10 for 19 in stolen bases in 2016.

They also acquired a just turned 21 year old pitcher from the Braves for a player to be named later. Alberto Rodriguez posted some decent to good numbers in the GCL this past year in 15 relief appearances. He had a good WHIP (0.982), ERA (2.95), K/9 (7.4) but his B/9 was a little high (3.9).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
merry-christmas-you-filthy-animal.jpg

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul Rivero - pitched for the Orioles org from 2005 to 2011, topping out at AA. The past 5 years, he's pitched in Mexico, Venezuela and Italy.

ITALY??? With who? The Milan Fashionistas? The Rome Gladiators? The Sicily Assassins?

Although if you're a marginal player bouncing from job to job, you could do a lot worse than beautiful Italy.