• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from lunch and reading the local rag (the Washington Post). Here's a thought, and hear me out: How about Ben Revere? He had a horrible year last year, likely because of an injury he suffered on opening day that persisted thru the year. As a result, the Nats are likely to non-tender him, esp. if they acquire McCutcheon. But he's been a solid offensive player in the years before and at least adequate in the OF, and given the year he had he could probably be had for relatively cheap, at least as a 1 year rental. IF he returns to historical norms for him, he could be a really good acquisition. Of course, the risk would be that last season wasn't the injury but he just well and truly sucked. So signing him would not be without risk, so if he continues to head south then the Giants probably just make their situation worse.
I just chatted with a buddy about Revere.

Here's my take: NRI at most. He's never been above league average, and only two of his years has he been even that (12, 15). In those two years he put up 2.6 WAR. However, he's been pretty disappointing every other year. He was cut outright by the gnats, so they obviously don't think he's worth a contract.

NRI, with a chance to make the big club out of ST. Of course, a lot of teams might offer him this. His best option to play significant games on a contender might be here though.

I wouldn't give him a guaranteed contract.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you were right about him being non-tendered. But I too wouldn't be all that excited for him.

Other big names to be non-tendered:

Chris Carter. Someone should sign him instead of Trumbo and save $100M for similar production.

Tyson Ross. Pretty surprised the Pads cut him loose without trying to get anything out of him. I have a feeling he'll go back to the A's, or some similarly cruddy team and get traded this July.

Welington Castillo. Feel like he killed us this year. For a catcher, he had a very respectable batting line, and he's always been a good defender. This one is questionable.

Ruby De La Rosa. He's probably going to have TJ, so I expect him to re-sign with the D-Backs.
This one was the most surprising to me as well. A team who shipped off some of their best prospects last year and signed the premium starter off the market would now simply let their best catcher walk away? Are they going to make Chris Herrman their starter and Oscar Hernandez their backup? Maybe they thought they could re-sign him cheaper?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mark Melancon has a 4 year, $60M offer from the Giants and Nationals, and that the Giants are thought to be the "strongest", whatever that means.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, or it's an overpay. I see your point though.

If the market is wiling to pay 8M/WAR then I guess that's what WAR is worth.

Exactly. Contracts just keep going up on their own trajectory, so by definition it's more $/WAR each year. How much did they pay per WAR in 2010? 2000? 1980? I remember when Nolan Ryan was the first player to get $1 mil/year. People lost their minds. What was that about $250K/WAR?

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are close to a deal with free agent closer Mark Melancon, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Alex Pavlovic of CSN Bay Area tweeted recently that there was a belief in the organization had a strong belief that a deal would get done. Melancon is represented by ISE Baseball.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are close to a deal with free agent closer Mark Melancon, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Alex Pavlovic of CSN Bay Area tweeted recently that there was a belief in the organization had a strong belief that a deal would get done. Melancon is represented by ISE Baseball.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Chris Haft/SF Giants ‏@sfgiantsbeat 19m19 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

Tip of cap to @kenrosenthaII. Melancon-to-SF buzz grows with each step farther into lobby

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice.

If nothing else happens this off season, the Giants still get a B/B+.

Let the odd-year streak begin!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't one of the people who wanted to spend premium on a closer (especially Jansen or Chapman), and instead go for 2 or 3 real solid guys, but it's hard not to get excited about it.

Melancon-Smith-Strickland-Law. That's real solid.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cy7wdF3WEAAKQAh.jpg:large

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't one of the people who wanted to spend premium on a closer (especially Jansen or Chapman), and instead go for 2 or 3 real solid guys, but it's hard not to get excited about it.

Melancon-Smith-Strickland-Law. That's real solid.
This was the only closer I was interested in from this free agent class. Glad they went with him. I thought his annual would be closer to $13 but $15.5 isn't that bad (compared to what Jansen or Chapman will get).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the only closer I was interested in from this free agent class. Glad they went with him. I thought his annual would be closer to $13 but $15.5 isn't that bad (compared to what Jansen or Chapman will get).

Chapman is looking for 6 years and Jansen is looking for $80M+ over 4.

Sounds like the Giants are still in the market for another reliever. J.P. Howell has come up. It does make me think, the Giants are probably involved in the trade market for an outfielder, and I wonder if they are dangling Okert and Osich is deals.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapman is looking for 6 years and Jansen is looking for $80M+ over 4.

Sounds like the Giants are still in the market for another reliever. J.P. Howell has come up. It does make me think, the Giants are probably involved in the trade market for an outfielder, and I wonder if they are dangling Okert and Osich is deals.
There is apparently a "mystery team" in serious talks with Pit about McCutchin...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's this: Mets are looking for a reliever in their Bruce/Granderson trade discussions with the O's.