• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Out Of Options Players: NL Central MLB Trade Rumors

Sorry not sure I would really worry about protecting Liz or Caminero by sending Holdzkom or Hughes down.

Let me be the first to say that this newer format sucks.

As for Liz, he would seem to have built in protection. He is guaranteed $1 million, and no team except the Pirates was willing to pay that for him over the off season, not sure why they would want to pay it now. I am not so sure I would be worried about Caminero either, other than he is a live arm.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah great point about both and I guess that was part of my thought I don't think either are as good and truly don't think other teams would waste a roster spot on either unless major bullpen depth issues?

Then with Tabata:

Numbers stacked against Pirates' Tabata | TribLIVE

Per his comment:
“I want to be in the big leagues, whether it's here or somewhere else. If somebody else gives me an opportunity and the Pirates trade me, that's OK. I want to stay here, but we'll see what happens.”

If NH could move his contract he would already be gone, so unless he somehow makes the team out of camp he will be back in AAA.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd send Hughes down because he isn't very good. Would rather have the live arms than him.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Good point and for some reason I was thinking of Justin Wilson not Jared Hughes. :L Who isn't even a Pirate anymore.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is to say, he's a replacement level guy with no upside, sending him down because he has options to take a look at a few other guys makes sense.

Holdzkom I'd keep up no matter, he's one of the top 4-5 guys I think, and he does have upside.

WVUinVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Through 37 spring AB's, Polanco sucks. Concerned or who cares, it's spring training?
BA .189
OBP .231
SLG .216

:stephena:

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Through 37 spring AB's, Polanco sucks. Concerned or who cares, it's spring training?
BA .189
OBP .231
SLG .216

:stephena:

I am not overly concerned. He spent the majority of the off season not playing baseball. If in the next two weeks he doesn't get better, I am still not too concerned, other than the fact that we will then be into the regular season, he still has the talent level to be special. As long as other positions are producing, we should be fine.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thankfully we have an abundance of arms for the BP.
i would keep melancon, watson, bastardo, caminiero as locks
liz in long relief.
pimentel because has potential and no options but also needs to get some regular use unlike the sporadic and haphazard use last year. this is the last shot he will get so we really need to see or let him shine so we can trade him for more prospects.

loser of worley/locke. could keep an extra reliever if keep morton in extended spring training and let worley and locke be SP4 and SP5.

hughes as set up guy in AAA or in MLB if morton not ready.

holdzkom to AAA and let him be the closer and develop that mentality with his dominating stuff as he has an option and only 10 innings of MLB experience. then we have a great backup when we need an alternate closer due to extra innings, injury, or back melancon throwing back to back early in the season because our bats usually dont get going till mid may and play lots of close ones out of the shoot. then our BP gets so tired.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton Richard declines his opt out clause, thats some good news.

Also, Holdzcom payed the price for having options left and got sent to minor league camp.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clayton Richard declines his opt out clause, thats some good news.

Also, Holdzcom payed the price for having options left and got sent to minor league camp.

I was happy to see Richard stay, especially after Locke got the 5th starter spot. I also have to admit I didn't really think he would leave. He knew he wasn't finished fixing his mechanics and leaving now would have possibly cost himself a big payday. When his opportunity comes he just needs to be ready.

Sucks about Holdzcom, hopefully keeping Caminero over him doesn't cost us any games. I watch the game the other day that Caminero pitched in and came away unimpressed. He throws hard, but the 4 seamer is flat and very hittable. On the bright side, Holdzcom will pitch meaningful innings for the Pirates again this year at some point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was happy to see Richard stay, especially after Locke got the 5th starter spot. I also have to admit I didn't really think he would leave. He knew he wasn't finished fixing his mechanics and leaving now would have possibly cost himself a big payday. When his opportunity comes he just needs to be ready.

Sucks about Holdzcom, hopefully keeping Caminero over him doesn't cost us any games. I watch the game the other day that Caminero pitched in and came away unimpressed. He throws hard, but the 4 seamer is flat and very hittable. On the bright side, Holdzcom will pitch meaningful innings for the Pirates again this year at some point.

I like Caminero a lot. First of all, his name is Arquimedes Euclides Caminero. How could I not like that?

I think Holdzkom, though, will benefit from a little more time in AAA. He still doesn't trust his palm ball or slider, and while his cutter is amazing, if he wants to have sustained success at the level he should be capable of, he'll need to actually throw his other pitches every now and then. In AAA, the pressure will be lower, and he can work on his secondary stuff. He wouldn't have that opportunity in the Majors.

Chris Volstad, another reclamation pitcher the Pirates signed to fix his mechanics, said in an interview he didn't even know when his opt-out deadline was because he didn't intend to use it. :laugh: I guess it's a nice sign players feel this way about the Pirates.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the new format, it's very confusing to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but man, this is different.

Also, miss me? I'm glad you guys behaved while I was gone unannounced for 46 days. :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scahill recalled, Florimon and Pimetnel DFAed. I guess they are planning on letting Holdzkom work on his secondary stuff.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back!

Long waste of space hiding Pimento in the bp for years.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scahill recalled, Florimon and Pimetnel DFAed. I guess they are planning on letting Holdzkom work on his secondary stuff.

It almost makes me think they are working out a trade for Pimentel. Sending him down after all the time invested in him when we have available spots in the bullpen to stash him doesn't seem like something this front office would do. Possibly like they have an OK deal for him, but by DFAing him they are hoping to get a few calls and increase the return.

Then again, there is also the possibility that they finally just gave up on trying to hide him any longer.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for the new format, it's very confusing to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but man, this is different.

Also, miss me? I'm glad you guys behaved while I was gone unannounced for 46 days. :D

Welcome back, saw you post on PP a couple times, but in reality this board has been dead for a month or more.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It almost makes me think they are working out a trade for Pimentel. Sending him down after all the time invested in him when we have available spots in the bullpen to stash him doesn't seem like something this front office would do. Possibly like they have an OK deal for him, but by DFAing him they are hoping to get a few calls and increase the return.

Then again, there is also the possibility that they finally just gave up on trying to hide him any longer.

I do expect some sort of move, since I don't know that the Pirates actually like Scahill enough to make him the last bullpen piece, unless it's a stylistic decision with Worley going to the rotation, and they may feel Scahill can better handle extra innings.

Even so, I don't think the Bucs just want to outright lose Pimentel, so perhaps they plan on pulling him back if someone claims him, and Scahill is just the placeholder. Then I would guess they work out a trade with the claiming team or someone else.