• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1 on this. I don't absolutely hate Dunlap, but he enjoys his "controversial voice" more than most on that station. Honestly there's not a lot of Pedro supporters at the fan any longer. They're the ones pushing the "lazy, arrogant, selfish, didn't even go to that optional camp thing that no one did" narratives. Which is crap. The guy is reserved, they hate that, so they turn it into him not caring. He was working out all offseason, showed up on pitchers/catchers report day (which is still early), but people don't think it's enough and it's amazing to me. I agree with most that his time with the Pirates is likely winding down, but I've enjoyed him on the team 95% of the time. The other 5% is somewhere in the stands behind first base.

Neil Walker was hanging out in Seven Springs with some celebrity that weekend, not a peep.

But agreed about the reserved, same thing that happened with Laroche here.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not discount that view so quickly, there are some of us that legitimately do not like Pedro at all. I would go so far as to say hate him, but I do hate the moments that he is on the field.

I'm saying Dunlap takes the narrative too far, he oversells how much people dislike Pedro.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neil Walker was hanging out in Seven Springs with some celebrity that weekend, not a peep.

But agreed about the reserved, same thing that happened with Laroche here.

I think he was up there with Kiss FM and hung out with Antonio Brown, which is okay by me. Just like it's okay that Pedro didn't go. Baseball season is long as hell, Pedro is a recently married man who probably enjoys being around his wife in the offseason and having a bit of a life. And the Laroche comparison is a good one. I mean, his habit of not showing up until late July didn't help either, but people don't like a guy that doesn't show emotion.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the past, besides cutch, alvarez was our big difference maker we needed to come thru on offense to compete. last year, we saw an emergence of marte and harrison, along with walker being more consistent, then martin and mercer adding a lot of positional value.
now we have cutch, marte as givens and walker, harrison, mercer as strong seconds, and polanco as the big wild card. if we get anything from alvarez, oh my gosh will we be deadly. but we wont live and die based on alvarez as we once felt in the past.

Which honestly has me a bit excited about the possibilities. The depth on the offensive side is so good that he can relax at the plate, that combined with less pressure on the defensive side could spell great things for Pedro. And really he's the best first baseman we've had in a long while...which is weird.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was up there with Kiss FM and hung out with Antonio Brown, which is okay by me. Just like it's okay that Pedro didn't go. Baseball season is long as hell, Pedro is a recently married man who probably enjoys being around his wife in the offseason and having a bit of a life. And the Laroche comparison is a good one. I mean, his habit of not showing up until late July didn't help either, but people don't like a guy that doesn't show emotion.

Yeah, Pedro can take ground balls and work on his swing anywhere, there is nothing about being in Bradenton that would make it more beneficial.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he's not as crucial as he has been in past years, but still you don't want basically your only 1B option to totally shit the bed.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, Pedro can take ground balls and work on his swing anywhere, there is nothing about being in Bradenton that would make it more beneficial.

If he can work on his swing anywhere, why doesn't he work with on his swing? To me it appears to be the same long, slow, swing it has always been.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can work on his swing anywhere, why doesn't he work with on his swing? To me it appears to be the same long, slow, swing it has always been.

It's probably a longer swing than average, but when he isn't going well, it gets much worse.

His problem is consistency more than the length of his swing in pure terms, IMO.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
his problem seems to be weight distribution as he is looking to pull and his weight is directed towrd the 2nd baseman. if he would drive his weight into the pitch/plate and toward the pitcher, he would stay on the ball longer, shorten his swing and actually have more power and bat control, imo

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his problem seems to be weight distribution as he is looking to pull and his weight is directed towrd the 2nd baseman. if he would drive his weight into the pitch/plate and toward the pitcher, he would stay on the ball longer, shorten his swing and actually have more power and bat control, imo

Agreed, that's why when he starts going to right field more often, you know he is ready to get on a hot streak.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates on tv tuesday @ 1pm :D

On root and mlbtv

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its on MLBtv for sure have it set to record, they never use their own crew so i'm 99% sure they will be simulcasting Roots feed.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have tomorrow off. Hopefully we get this game up here in da Nort land eh.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry it was the bluejays tv crew that mlb was simulcasting.

Just got home and its the 9th inning and the first thing on the scroll was "Cumpton to see Dr. James Andrews" meh.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably shouldn't be shopping Locke if Cumpton is going to be out.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Element - I agree about not shopping Locke, unless a SP would come back. Either a SP with an option still available or a better SP that could be part of a bigger package. If Tabata has figured something out maybe someone will want to take a shot on him or the Pirates will feel comfortable with Tabata and be willing to move Lambo? Maybe Richard is healthy and shows something this spring?

I would love to really see the Pirates go all in and send a package (Locke, Worley, Lambo and ?) to the Phillies for Hamels ($23.5M 2015-2018 and $20M option in 2019 if meets min. IP in 2017-18 or 2018 w/ $6M buyout) or Lee (last year of contract - $25M owed with $12.5M buyout or $27.5M owed in 2016).

Those numbers seem high, however the Pirates should continue to have more money to spend while getting cheaper. One of (if not both) Walker or Alvarez will most likely be off the books next year, Burnett will be gone and Melancon will most likely be gone due to cost. That alone basically covers next year and the remaining roster will remain relatively intact with very little increased payroll. Liriano gone after 2017.

The following year Morton and Tabata will come off the books with minimal increased payroll again. 2015 would probably be the toughest year to stretch for a salary in the Lee/Hamels range however this is probably the last shot with Walker and/or Alvarez on the roster.

I think Cole will be hard to sign long term, but Kingham, Taillon and Glasnow will be cheap so there will be money available. That along with team friendly contracts to McCutchen, Marte and hopefully Kang (if he performs) should allow the Pirates to add a big piece. Hamels contract would cover the same time frame as McCutchens contract to maximize the McCutchen period as a Pirate and if it McCutchen continues to perform and Meadows, Polanco or Marte don't perform then Hamels contracts will be off the books when McCutchen is due for a raise if the Pirates and McCutchen decide to continue their time together.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see that package getting Hamels. Don't see the Phillies as motivated sellers, and the contract is market rate for Hamels. The vesting option/buyout is really killing Lee's value, I would think his trade value is negative at this point. Amaro ruined his own assets by handing out idiotic contracts.

But that is a good writeup. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of thinking years in advance like that. So many moving parts. Probably would be a good idea to look at someone who isn't on the Phillies.