• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw a quote from NH saying one of the things they like about him was his power to all fields and intelligence as a hitter. so hopefully he can adjust like harrison and cutch and use the other half at PNC

I'll take a guy that's known to be smart in the box over one with simply natural ability.

Sidenote about rotations: sounds like the Brewers are moving Gallardo to the Rangers, no word on return, and rumors about Scherzer closing in with the Nats. Man, Nats/LAD with rotations leaps ahead of others.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
gallardo kills us seems like 3 ties every year,
glad to see him go to the other league.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yeah without a doubt. I don't get the deal for the Brewers but not going to complain.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nationals are signing Scherzer, and now they have six really good starting pitchers. I wonder if they'll deal one of them, and I wonder if we'd pair well with them. Pretty much anyone in their rotation qualifies as a top of the rotation arm.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nationals are signing Scherzer, and now they have six really good starting pitchers. I wonder if they'll deal one of them, and I wonder if we'd pair well with them. Pretty much anyone in their rotation qualifies as a top of the rotation arm.

There's no way they don't move someone. Zimmermann, Gio, Fister. They each have one year left I think? I'd love to get one of those guys, but it'd take a lot I think.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Nat's might arguably being the best team in the NL I doubt they will be talking to any NL teams to deal a starting pitcher, especially a team that could compete with them at playoff time.

Anyway I am not sure they will match up well with the Pirates I have a feeling they will want something back that will improve their lineup/bullpen right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though this is a pipe dream, how much do you think it would take to get Strasburg? Just for fun.

I would wonder about dangling Walker if the team feels Kang can handle the bat at the Major League level. It would weaken our lineup, but could actually strengthen the defense, and it's not guaranteed to open a hole (though losing a left-handed bat which can put baseballs in the outfield bleachers in PNC Park is a tough hit, honestly), but the Nationals are weak at second base (and basically nowhere else), and if we package him with some solid prospects from our pretty darned impressive farm system, we might be able to get a deal done, and we'd have Strasburg at an affordable, below-market rate for the next two years, and then the draft pick when he inevitably walks in free agency.

That would be an awfully fun rotation to watch.

Maybe Walker, Kingham, Keller, and Ramirez? I know that's a lot to give up, and I'm not sure the Nats would be all that happy about the deal, either, since Keller and Ramirez are so far away, and Kingham's upside is limited, though the affordability and the possible payroll flexibility to resign Zimmermann may tempt them to it. I would definitely pull the trigger on that deal, though, with McCutchen and Marte locked up and Polanco cheap for a few years and with all the upside in the world, the fact that we wouldn't need Kingham anymore, and the fact that we find arms like Keller all the time it seems.

I'd expect, though, that the Nats would want to replace Kingham with Glasnow or Taillon as the smallest possible return.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though this is a pipe dream, how much do you think it would take to get Strasburg? Just for fun.

I would wonder about dangling Walker if the team feels Kang can handle the bat at the Major League level. It would weaken our lineup, but could actually strengthen the defense, and it's not guaranteed to open a hole (though losing a left-handed bat which can put baseballs in the outfield bleachers in PNC Park is a tough hit, honestly), but the Nationals are weak at second base (and basically nowhere else), and if we package him with some solid prospects from our pretty darned impressive farm system, we might be able to get a deal done, and we'd have Strasburg at an affordable, below-market rate for the next two years, and then the draft pick when he inevitably walks in free agency.

That would be an awfully fun rotation to watch.

Maybe Walker, Kingham, Keller, and Ramirez? I know that's a lot to give up, and I'm not sure the Nats would be all that happy about the deal, either, since Keller and Ramirez are so far away, and Kingham's upside is limited, though the affordability and the possible payroll flexibility to resign Zimmermann may tempt them to it. I would definitely pull the trigger on that deal, though, with McCutchen and Marte locked up and Polanco cheap for a few years and with all the upside in the world, the fact that we wouldn't need Kingham anymore, and the fact that we find arms like Keller all the time it seems.

I'd expect, though, that the Nats would want to replace Kingham with Glasnow or Taillon as the smallest possible return.

That 2nd year of control really inflates Strasburg's value. They would no question want Glasnow/Taillon. Maybe both. The A's traded their 2012 and 2013 first round picks for Samardzija.

It's hard to imagine if they'd view Walker as close to being enough. You don't see a ton of trades swapping veteran players. Though it is becoming more and more common.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gio seems like the best fit for the Pirates as far as a balance between affordability, talent, and contract.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gio seems like the best fit for the Pirates as far as a balance between affordability, talent, and contract.

I agree, plus he's a lefty, which is a plus. At the same time, Gio's the one I think they're least likely to trade.

Also, it's just more fun to talk about trading for Strasburg. ;)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't know if Zimmerman isn't the best pitcher on that team. Their rotation is truly outrageous. Hopefully that is the Pirates in a few years with the homegrown guys becoming major leaguers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't know if Zimmerman isn't the best pitcher on that team. Their rotation is truly outrageous. Hopefully that is the Pirates in a few years with the homegrown guys becoming major leaguers.

Yup, agreed on Zimmermann. He's a stud.

And I just looked at Gio's contract because you mentioned it. It's very much like Liriano's, except that it's four more years instead of three, but only two of them are guaranteed. That's a great contract for a very good pitcher. And he probably wouldn't cost one of Glasnow or Taillon to get (though the package would still have to be impressive). I'd at least be calling and asking if I were NH.

But like I said, for all the same reasons, I don't think he's the one the Nationals would move.

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Element/Darkstone/All,

What would it take to have a realistic chance to trade for Roark/Gonzales?

I'd lean towards Gonzales for the same reasons as you.

Does Hanson, Garcia and plus low level pitching prospect get it done?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Element/Darkstone/All,

What would it take to have a realistic chance to trade for Roark/Gonzales?

I'd lean towards Gonzales for the same reasons as you.

Does Hanson, Garcia and plus low level pitching prospect get it done?

Dealing with another contender in the NL, I think they'd want an upgrade for their Major League roster in return, probably Walker, plus one or two of the sorts of prospects you mentioned.

The only way this would make sense for the Pirates is if they think Kang can be an everyday second baseman and/or they think Hanson is/will be ready soon and can contribute.

And I think the only way we keep this deal all-prospects is if the Nationals think Hanson is really close and could upgrade them at 2B before season's end.

We also might have to send one of our back-end starters back as rotation depth for them, I would guess Worley.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major league player, Walker, Melancon and a few B prospects, Hanson and Kingham.

Or it would be an elite prospect like Austin Meadows/Josh Bell/Glasnow and a few B type guys.

Not sure what they would be looking for though.

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major league player, Walker, Melancon and a few B prospects, Hanson and Kingham.

Or it would be an elite prospect like Austin Meadows/Josh Bell/Glasnow and a few B type guys.

Not sure what they would be looking for though.

Thanks for the insight. Cost is a little steeper than I thought. I have been satisfied with the off season to this point but I feel like 1 more arm puts this team over the top. In my mind it's the difference between competing for the playoffs and competing for the World Series.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ou don't see too many deals like this (guy in his prime, good contract, multiple years of control), IMO, because the asking price is usually huge, and most teams don't want to pay that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hah, Brewers in talks for Papelbon from the Phillies. In case anyone needed more reason to loathe them.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates and Orioles Discussing Travis Snider Trade | Pirates Prospects

Not a bit of these rumors makes sense. Not sure why the Pirates would deal from a real area of strength for nothing that would help the MLB roster. The Orioles writer makes this seem like the Pirates are giving away their 4th OF who is coming off a great year off the bench. Snider's value probably won't get much higher, and no way in hell the return is for anything less than SOME major league talent. Tim Williams points are pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really hoping this guy is just getting homerific reports.

Last edited by a moderator: