• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When his arm is under control, like it was two years ago, he actually is one of the best defensive third basemen in the National League. His range and hands are excellent.

You guys have got to be kidding. I'm not one who puts a lot of interest in those alpabet stats (WAR, etc.), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't ranked below average.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys have got to be kidding. I'm not one who puts a lot of interest in those alpabet stats (WAR, etc.), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't ranked below average.

just use the eye test and watch the plays.
focus on the fielding and his throws on non routine plays.
only the elite routinely make those array of plays.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Liriano and Liz contracts are official now. Liz has only been signed for one year, though, not two like previously reported. Not sure about money, but I imagine it'll be around $1.5 million.

The Rodriguez deal is also official.

Liz has less than 1 year service time, so we have his rights for 6 years, barring some opt out clause or something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coonelly said the Pirates aren't done yet, for whatever it's worth.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
liz seems a worthwhile risk.

i imagine now that loran is in, volquez becomes a stronger possibility and would give a hometown loyalty discount to repay the faith and chance he got.

unless a big game changing middle of the lineup hitter or #1 or 2 SP, i do not want them trade any of their real prospects (1-25) just to fill out the bench or pen or to get a #5(we have plenty of those).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates are apparently quite interested in Eovaldi, but they aren't close on a deal with the Marlins. Might be something to keep an eye on.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
liz seems a worthwhile risk.

i imagine now that loran is in, volquez becomes a stronger possibility and would give a hometown loyalty discount to repay the faith and chance he got.

unless a big game changing middle of the lineup hitter or #1 or 2 SP, i do not want them trade any of their real prospects (1-25) just to fill out the bench or pen or to get a #5(we have plenty of those).

1-25 that is a lot. I might say 1-10, but after that there isn't a whole lot that I am overly impressed with. Then again, prospects are all personal preference in my opinion.

I am really beginning to like Cervelli, if the guy could just stay healthy he might just be a 3 WAR player. Every season that he has had any significant playing time he has been productive. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders as well, I just read an article where he was talking about being excited for the opportunity and taking the time to learn his pitchers. Not the teams pitchers, his pitchers. Lets just hope he can stay healthy.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1-25 that is a lot. I might say 1-10, but after that there isn't a whole lot that I am overly impressed with. Then again, prospects are all personal preference in my opinion.

I am really beginning to like Cervelli, if the guy could just stay healthy he might just be a 3 WAR player. Every season that he has had any significant playing time he has been productive. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders as well, I just read an article where he was talking about being excited for the opportunity and taking the time to learn his pitchers. Not the teams pitchers, his pitchers. Lets just hope he can stay healthy.

i put 1-25 as i wasn't excited about the prospect we gave up for a sean rodriguez type.
would rather package them, and not opposed to the higher ones, if for a real addition that will impact our lineup or be q #1 or 2 SP.

i too really like cervilli, but what have his injuries been. are they bad luck or chronic probabilities.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not listed as a team in on Cole Hamels, which is disappointing, since we can provide average, cheap/young/cost-controlled starting pitching in return, which I imagine is something the Phillies want. And then we have some nice prospects to sweeten the pot. I think we're a good match for the Phillies, honestly, and we should try to take advantage of it. Our rotation would be filthy if we did that.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what it appears it would cost for Hamels, would rather they just use half those resources and get Eovaldi or someone like that. He's paid a market rate salary for a long time, and they want legit prospects, that a tough deal to make for the Pirates. I can see the Dodgers/Red Sox making that deal though.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With what it appears it would cost for Hamels, would rather they just use half those resources and get Eovaldi or someone like that. He's paid a market rate salary for a long time, and they want legit prospects, that a tough deal to make for the Pirates. I can see the Dodgers/Red Sox making that deal though.

True there is minimal if any excess value with Hamels contract, but if you can get Philly to pick up a portion of what he owed, then that in itself would create value. So far it appears as though RA doesn't want to kick in any money, but if the right deal were presented then I believe he would. However, this entire scenario is just a dream for me, I do not believe that Huntington will ever deal the prospects it would take to get Hamels, even if Philly ate some money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True there is minimal if any excess value with Hamels contract, but if you can get Philly to pick up a portion of what he owed, then that in itself would create value. So far it appears as though RA doesn't want to kick in any money, but if the right deal were presented then I believe he would. However, this entire scenario is just a dream for me, I do not believe that Huntington will ever deal the prospects it would take to get Hamels, even if Philly ate some money.

In the current trade market, I don't know if Hamels will cost us a ton in prospects. Really good players have been typically going for an average Major Leaguer, a high-risk, high-minors prospect, and one or two guys in the lower minors with high ceilings but still far from the Majors. How much the extra years of the contract will cost, and how much the money owed will cut his cost in prospects, though, is unclear.

I think we could deal a back-end pitcher still owed very little money (and we have a lot), a prospect like Hanson, an arm or a bat in the low minors, and maybe, if necessary, one of our good, but not elite pitching prospects from AA or AAA for him. It wouldn't be crippling.

At least, that assumes RAJ intends to follow the current trade market. An average Major League bat would also be a possibility going the other way.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers signed Brett Anderson to a one year, $10 million contract. I expected the money to be a few million smaller given his injury history.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical that Hamels even gets traded, don't see trades like that happen very often with so many years left on the deal.

It can't be a salary dump, and I can't see anyone giving up the amount RA thinks he is going to get.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm skeptical that Hamels even gets traded, don't see trades like that happen very often with so many years left on the deal.

It can't be a salary dump, and I can't see anyone giving up the amount RA thinks he is going to get.

Me and a guy I work with were talking about this the other night. RA has not been very clear, he has said 3-4 top prospects and the acquiring team takes on all the money. The problem with that is that 3-4 of the Pirates top prospects is very very different than 3-4 Brewers prospects. So what is he actually saying. If I were guessing, I would think he wants 1 top 25 overall prospect, 2-3 in the 26-100 range and then anything else he can get.

I would say that since there was no real pressing need to trade him, that RA could have helped out. However, I read today that Hamels has accepted that he is likely to be traded and he just wants to play for a a team that has a chance to win. The way it sounded was more like, get me out of Philly, and while that probably won't change the scenario much, maybe now it only costs 3 top 100 guys with 1 top 25, and then some low level high ceiling types. However, until he realizes that he is going to have to eat some money in the deal, his return is not likely to be anywhere near the range he is seeking.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's guaranteed 96 million, with an auto vesting option if he meets a few attainable goals, so it's possibly the team would be acquiring 114 million.

I honestly can't see them getting anyone in the top 100 with picking up 30-50 million of that salary.