• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Snider goes to Baltimore there is no doubt he explodes and joins Pearce to make one of the best duos in the AL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there is uncertainty with Polanco for sure. And it would be creating a hole they would subsequently have to fill.

But I can see them being very interested in Zach Britton, LHP who throws hard and gets tons of ground balls.

Britton would be a much better add.

I'd also consider shopping Snider to Arizona for Miley. Or trading Alvarez for pitching and training Snider on first base.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with relieves contracts is more opportunity cost of the roster in future spot than the actual numbers, especially for the big market teams that, like you said, can absorb what the dollar value is with no problems at all.

I'm thinking it's more him just trying to make his team better, I'm not sure paying above market rate for relievers on multiple year deals is ideal, but like you said Pix the Astros aren't a small market either, although I do know they have some TV contract problems.

I mean, they have one of the best local TV contracts, even though no one is seemingly watching. I don't think that viewership changes a ton in regard to the yearly amount they're paid, but I could be wrong.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britton would be a much better add.

I'd also consider shopping Snider to Arizona for Miley. Or trading Alvarez for pitching and training Snider on first base.

When I saw Miley's name pop up I was hoping the Pirates would make some calls. I'd be a big fan of that.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they have one of the best local TV contracts, even though no one is seemingly watching. I don't think that viewership changes a ton in regard to the yearly amount they're paid, but I could be wrong.

Ok, looks like they got that stuff resolved there was a while that anyone who didn't have Comcast couldn't watch Astro games.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe that Mark Melancon and/or Tony Watson either one could be considered reliable closers. Jared Hughes seems have got himself right. Holdzcom is a wildcard, but should be passable. I believe these pitchers are why we are can afford to look to an upgrade at 1B.

the couple chances watson has had as closer over the last couple years has not gone well, altho a small sample, was a huge variance to his normal duties in the 7th and 8th.
not even considering hughes or holdzcom this year or next for closer when we are this close to serious WS contention.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, would be interested in Miley for sure, seems like the type that should take a lot to get though. Unfortunately Kevin Towers is no longer there, so the deal would have to be legit, not how to build the toughest team.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, looks like they got that stuff resolved there was a while that anyone who didn't have Comcast couldn't watch Astro games.

Weird...I know their contract is with CSN, but taking away Astros games probably isn't really a big motivator.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throwing this in here for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
snider is too valuable to us at this point than a middle average reliever.
he might be our 3rd OF if polanco needs more time.
also, marte will never play a whole year, and cutch and planco run into walls and steal bases so injuries to those big 3 are inevitable. 60 OF starts (20 for each) and late inning LH PH and likes playing in PNC.

would need to really get value and plug a major hole we couldn't already plug from inside or outside.
a LH middle reliever is not a glaring hole nor is it an urgent need if we were lacking options to fill it now.

throw some of the other AAAA stuff, i would even throw T Sanchez at them before snider.

ideally polanco and snider do well this year so we can sell real high on snider in july in a package to bring in a real asset for the stretch run or a high ceiling catching or 1B prospect for the next 5 years.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great, Perrotto doesn't need his ego stroked when he's right. Sure sounds like a call that happened, but ended quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with Snider being traded now. Better to sell high or we might end up with another Pedro Alvarez situation where he has barely any value.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no issue with Snider being traded now. Better to sell high or we might end up with another Pedro Alvarez situation where he has barely any value.

if sell high is a second rate MIDDLE reliever, i say he has more value to us as a 3b OF and insurance for injury or polanco struggling.

otherwise we have tabata and lambo if we have a running into the wall or jammed wrist from diving to make a great play as the only backups and could create a major hole like last year in our lineup, esp with not having martin anymore.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Pedro and Snider are completely different baseball players. Snider has at least a clue about the strike zone, running the bases, hitting a baseball, throwing a baseball, and the game of baseball in general. It is more likely that he is actually figuring out major league pitching where as Pedro is not. Pedro in fact, going off of historical players of the game, has more of a chance of slipping over the cliff into the great abyss than he does of ever hitting like he did two years ago again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phew, Snider's staying put for now. The Bucs acquired Antonio Bastardo for Joely Rodriguez. Seems like a solid swap. Bastardo fits the LOOGY role nicely, typically just shy of a 1-win reliever, and still south of 30.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bastardo has essentially no platoon splits for his career, don't see him as a LOOGY at all. Clint doesn't use LOOGYs anyway.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bastardo has essentially no platoon splits for his career, don't see him as a LOOGY at all. Clint doesn't use LOOGYs anyway.

Our bullpen could be deep enough for even Clint to let guys specialize a little more, and I do expect him to be used against power lefties who struggle with lefties regardless of Bastardo's splits, but he's a good enough middle reliever to just be used in the 7th, too, which is nice.

Melancon in the 9th, Watson in the 8th, and some combination of Holdzkom, Bastardo, Hughes, and Liz before that should be pretty solid.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
bastardo is good against RH as well.
live in philly and see many games.
he is dominating for stretches, then is in a funk. not sure whether it is physical at times or concentration and getting down on himself.

glad we kept snider.
hope our Pitching studs work out (taillon, kingham, glasonw, cole, sampson) so we don't need the marginal guys and can use them to fill holes like this.