• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh thank god.

That doesn't really solve anything - as SteelParrot said - "the rotation back together". But it's an essential first step.
It's two years older than a rotation that wasn't quite good enough. We lost Martin as well but at least now the rotation doesn't look like a disaster going in to the season. There's the possibility of a mid-season trade and there's an outside chance that Glasnow or Taillon can contribute.

I still want another starter. Most other teams in our position would be in on Lester but I hope that we're at least looking at someone who has some talent.

I have some concerns about the bullpen and I would love to have a real right-handed option at 1B. I also wonder what the hell is going on with Pedro. If he were a 1B we would be trying to teach him 3B in order to exaggerate his versatility, but instead it's like there's some kind of a deliberate "fuck you" being directed his way.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Neshek and for lefties for the bullpen, too.

I like the Liriano signing, and I'm glad they got it done before Lester went off the board. I'm not a fan of being in on Volquez. I'd much rather trade for someone or sign a new reclamation project so we have more money to spend elsewhere.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Liriano's back, I would be looking at Santana and McCarthy, with reclamation ideas of Brett Anderson, Chad Billingsley, and Brandon Morrow.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Morrow as a bullpen arm for sure, not as a starter.

Anderson interests me as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Morrow as a bullpen arm for sure, not as a starter.

Anderson interests me as well.

I wouldn't want to rely on Morrow for sure, he just seems to profile well for Searage's tutelage. Anderson does too, and he's a lefty who has had a little success, so he's clearly the better of those options.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if we land Neshek and a good LOOGY, our bullpen will be very formidable again. Could make games as short at 5 innings most nights. With another addition, the starting pitching should be above average at least (right now, I would deem our rotation roughly average), so between the pitchers and our good defense, run prevention shouldn't be much of a problem.

Would love to add a bat, too, though, to make sure the offense can take advantage.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was element who brought up the idea of trading for Chris Davis, and I wasn't sure if the O's were going to trust Pearce, but Steamer loves Pearce for this upcoming season, so maybe the O's do, too. Buying low on Davis could be a good move for us. His power would likely play pretty well in PNC, too.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Volquez could be back for 2/$16M. Bringing Liriano back should help if the Pirates are also trying to bring Volquez back.

Maybe the Pirates are working on a bigger deal (trade) for a higher quality SP or 1B? I like the Chris Davis trade idea because he could be plugged into the middle of the order if he figures it out. Although, same could have been said for Ike Davis last year and he didn't figure anything out.

The value solid players have brought back in trades is surprising. Maybe Hamels or another trade target could be brought in for less than expected? I hope Cole and Liriano are 2 of the top 3, but not the top 2.

I will love to sell high on Melancon but I'm not sure if the Pirates have a closer to take his place? I think Melancon's money could be put to better use on a high-end SP or first baseman.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we're shopping Pedro, so there's a chance we don't want to have him as our first baseman. I've also seen reports that we're shifting focus off starting pitching and to the bullpen. I don't know if that means we're done adding to the rotation or if we just want to address another hole before going to upgrade a part of the team which doesn't have a "hole" per se, but could be made better. If Pedro's dealt, though, I have to image we'll be getting another starting pitcher, either because we're getting one back in the Pedro deal or because we want to sign one to make a lesser arm expendable in a trade for a 1B upgrade.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pedro Alvarez was always going to be trade bait around the end of 2014. From the first day he was drafted it was known.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pedro Alvarez was always going to be trade bait around the end of 2014. From the first day he was drafted it was known.

Yes but what wasn't known until now is that he is being Shoppe because Huntington has finally accepted the facts that Pedro just sucks. Before, it was thought that he would be traded because he would price himself out of Pittsburgh, which today definitely isn't the case.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't wait to get to work this morning to hear the Brewers fans spin on the NL Central. I believe with the Lester signing, that would leave the Brewers with the worst rotation in the division. Couple that with an offense that is unpredictable at best and they might just have the worst team in the division. I am going to have a good time next summer.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what good is a starting pitcher if you don't have a reliable closer to finish it. when you have good SP, you don't need 7 relievers. spend on the SP and the backend of the pen.

1B should be long ofter those 2 are shored up, especially since we have a passable 1B at present and not a lot of great options to be had out there without giving up some real prospects.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's strange to me that they want to trade Pedro now after having liquidated their other first basemen.

I guess they are happy with Morton at #4 when healthy, and then whomever is best of Worley, Locke, Taillon, and Kingham at #5.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can count out Neshek for the bullpen (close to deal with Houston).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Miley is being shopped by the D-Backs. He'd be a nice get.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke Badenhop (R), JJ Putz (R), Casey Janssen (R), Gorzo, Phil Coke (L) seem interesting. There are plenty of decent relievers out there.

Also John Mayberry as a RHB 1B/OF option.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
having a staff of
1. cole, 2. liriano, 3. burnett, 4. worley, 5. locke to start the year, (we don't need a 5 till the April 15)
then we have morton returning and under contract to slide into #4 (he returned well last time)
and cumpton (obvious limitations)as an experienced #5 if locke/worley not working.
i like worley as a 3 or 4 and especially a 5.
locke, not sure if he will figure it out as a starter - but i think he can be a dominating BP lefty, better than wilson.
then we have kingham, sadler, taillon, sampson as depth options and hopefully one or even 2 can be productive june on when injuries hit.

BP - 1. melancon, 2. watson, 3. hughes, 4. holdzom, 5. pimentel (hopefully used more regularly so he can be in a good groove to max his stuff), 6. one of the reclamation pickups they signed, 7. laflombay, 8. locke (when morton back) and cumpton for long relief, rain delays, etc.

then 2016 we have
1. cole 2. liriano, 3. morton 4 and 5. taillon/kingham/worley
if burnett has a good 2015 and he is with bringing back for playoff run, we consider it.
glasnow as should be a june 2016 option

we need a catching answer to rise up and diaz and mcguire are it, unless we gamble trading a young arm for the right young but ready to produce catcher with O and D we value.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years, $12.5 million to Neshek. That seems high for a reliever who had his first good season of his career last year...

But it was the Astros who signed him, so that seems like it could explain the dollars.