• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how, in the same post, you say 4/$52 for Markakis is insane, and then suggest we trade to Mark Trumbo, who is just not good at playing the game of baseball. I agree that the deal for Markakis is a head scratcher, but at least he provides value to the team, Trumbo provides nothing. In all honesty, if we were to trade for Trumbo, he would be nothing more than a platoon player with Pedro, seems fairly pointless to have two guys filling one position whose only positive attribute is that at one point in their careers that could hit a baseball a long way, on occasion. Not consistently, just occasionally.

Actually there is a HUGE difference. One is being paid 4 years at 52 million, the other still gets arbitration with an estimated salary of around 5.7 million.

Trust me I am no proponent of trading for the guy unless you can get him for a minor leaguer, which I now read Arizona won't go cheap on him. And honestly wasn't thinking of a platoon at all, I seriously think they are stupid but I also understand the necessity when you don't have enough talent at a position like 1B. Hence why I didn't get letting Sanchez go.

Also the other alternative is Mike Morse for more money/years? I would rather they spend on quality starting pitching. With Morse who has great hitting splits makes Alvarez pointless and unfortunately he would get less in return than Trumbo would. Also if you look at the numbers Trumbo is a better defender at 1B/OF than Morse is.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad I totally forgot they traded for Sean Rodriguez who ultimately will fill that role. Who is a better defender and can get on base just the same.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tomorrow starts the winter meetings so get ready for a funfilled week of rampant speculation, multiple trade rumors and possibly some additions to some teams.

For us, well we can just call this week business as usual.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yet another round of discouraging statements from the FO. Stuff about "liking their 5 starters" for example.

I don't even know which 5 they're talking about. I was briefly optimistic when they broke the losing streak but now I'm starting to get more depressed than ever. With DL at least I could console myself by telling myself that an incompetent nincompoop like Dave was bound to get fired eventually. Neil on the other hand seems to be really efficiently tip-toeing a line of competence. He's not assembling good teams but he's not assembling bad teams either. I'm afraid that this is exactly what Nutting wanted. The team is good enough to dispell accusations that they're not even trying, but not good enough to be truly competitive either. Meanwhile Nutting is pocketing a minimum of 30 million dollars in profits every year.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another round of discouraging statements from the FO. Stuff about "liking their 5 starters" for example.

I don't even know which 5 they're talking about. I was briefly optimistic when they broke the losing streak but now I'm starting to get more depressed than ever. With DL at least I could console myself by telling myself that an incompetent nincompoop like Dave was bound to get fired eventually. Neil on the other hand seems to be really efficiently tip-toeing a line of competence. He's not assembling good teams but he's not assembling bad teams either. I'm afraid that this is exactly what Nutting wanted. The team is good enough to dispell accusations that they're not even trying, but not good enough to be truly competitive either. Meanwhile Nutting is pocketing a minimum of 30 million dollars in profits every year.

Hey, give Nutting a break. He has to make up for all those gambling profits he had to forego for owning the Pirates somehow. [Sarcasm]

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, what a blast from the past, pirates sign Kevin Young.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah about the only hope I see now is Liriano coming back.

Red Sox Outright Jemile Weeks ? MLB Trade Rumors - Only if he learned to play SS and OF earlier in his career. He might have been worth a flier as a middle IF backup and speed off the bench.

Lester will probably make his decision soon. The dominoes should start falling by tomorrow, and then we'll see about Liriano.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels Notes:

Seems like CJ Wilson could be a good target, would guess that the Angels want to clear some salary, and he probably wouldn't cost much in prospects; always been an innings eater, signed for 2015 and 2016, and he's left handed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels Notes:

Seems like CJ Wilson could be a good target, would guess that the Angels want to clear some salary, and he probably wouldn't cost much in prospects; always been an innings eater, signed for 2015 and 2016, and he's left handed.

Wouldn't be a bad move, especially in addition to bringing back Liriano. Could be a legitimate #3 who would give us two consistent lefties.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are in trade talks trying to get a third baseman. I wonder if we could sell them on Pedro as part of a package for something else. I don't know what that something else would be, but something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might want to offer a small overbid for Liriano before Lester signs. I fear the teams in on him will turn to Liriano and offer him something we can't match if we don't get out in front of it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There had been speculation that Kazmir would be on the block, but that unfortunately seems to be bunk. Would have been a solid #3 type lefty to add.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3/39 is about what we all expected, good deal.

That puts them between 75-80 million when you factor in expected arb raises.

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All winter long i was thinking 3-36 get a deal done with Liriano. I'm glad they offered a little more and got him before Lester signed. That might have put him out of the Pirates price range.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2/18 seems about right for Volquez, although I would rather they use that money on someone else. Not a fan of Volquez.