• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But I would rather have Hamels than Napoli, and I have very little desire at all to give up any type of prospects if the return is Mike Napoli. Nothing against Napoli, just not someone I would be targeting at this point in the offseason. Why not just go sign Mike Morris and keep all the prospects.

LOL! When I first looked, I thought you were being sarcastic and meant Matt Morris.

:lol:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I would rather have Hamels than Napoli, and I have very little desire at all to give up any type of prospects if the return is Mike Napoli. Nothing against Napoli, just not someone I would be targeting at this point in the offseason. Why not just go sign Mike Morris and keep all the prospects.

Michael Morse? I wouldn't mind him, but Napoli is a lot better both offensively and defensively. Of course, Hamels would probably be a better get than Napoli, but Amaro is asking for such a ridiculous haul for him. That's why I thought the three-team deal would make sense. We could put out a couple prospects to the Phillies of value equal to Napoli, and the Red Sox could supplement them with a couple more. The Sox part with a redundant player and some money, bring in a pitcher they want, and give up just a little in the way of prospects. We give up just a little in the way of prospects and bring in a true everyday first baseman. The Phillies get a bigger haul of prospects for their expensive pitcher than they would from just one team.

Of course, trading for Hamels/signing Lester and adding Morse (to replace Gaby, mostly, probably) would probably be a bigger upgrade than just getting Napoli. But if the price is right, why not bring in Napoli, given the opportunity?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michael Morse? I wouldn't mind him, but Napoli is a lot better both offensively and defensively. Of course, Hamels would probably be a better get than Napoli, but Amaro is asking for such a ridiculous haul for him. That's why I thought the three-team deal would make sense. We could put out a couple prospects to the Phillies of value equal to Napoli, and the Red Sox could supplement them with a couple more. The Sox part with a redundant player and some money, bring in a pitcher they want, and give up just a little in the way of prospects. We give up just a little in the way of prospects and bring in a true everyday first baseman. The Phillies get a bigger haul of prospects for their expensive pitcher than they would from just one team.

Of course, trading for Hamels/signing Lester and adding Morse (to replace Gaby, mostly, probably) would probably be a bigger upgrade than just getting Napoli. But if the price is right, why not bring in Napoli, given the opportunity?

Yep Morse, even after reading your post 3 times I didn't realize the mistake I made with his name?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Morse either. They truly need a right handed bat for the 1B, since they seem content on keeping Alvarez, Lambo and even Snider.

I am concerned they are content with Sanchez keeping that role. Boy i hate platoons and Morse would fix that issue. Amazingly looking at his splits are pretty even.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Morse either. They truly need a right handed bat for the 1B, since they seem content on keeping Alvarez, Lambo and even Snider.

I am concerned they are content with Sanchez keeping that role. Boy i hate platoons and Morse would fix that issue. Amazingly looking at his splits are pretty even.

Yeah, he'd be passable as an every day guy because his splits are so even. Which is why he's a reasonable option in my mind. The question is his glove. Even at first base, he might give away a bunch of runs.

But the dude's a giant and can knock the cover off the ball at times.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas signed with the D-Backs, 6 years and $68 million. That could be a big steal for them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, someone made a "good" offer for Hamels.

I hope it was us, but I doubt it. Not yet anyway.

Though Lester to Boston is apparently a done deal, so cross off the pitcher on the free agent market I most wanted. :tsk:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• The Pirates “certainly can and I suspect will” top the $90 million mark in payroll in 2015, Frank Coonelly told DKonPittsburghSports.com exclusively Thursday.

Friday Insider: Pirates' payroll should top $90M - DK on Pittsburgh Sports

According to pirateprospects, we are around 70 mill now. At least 20 mill to spend in FA/trades.

I wonder what the ceiling is?

Does NH get Liriano and Martin part 2? or does he get Volquez and Ike Davis version 2.1?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• The Pirates “certainly can and I suspect will” top the $90 million mark in payroll in 2015, Frank Coonelly told DKonPittsburghSports.com exclusively Thursday.

Friday Insider: Pirates' payroll should top $90M - DK on Pittsburgh Sports

According to pirateprospects, we are around 70 mill now. At least 20 mill to spend in FA/trades.

I wonder what the ceiling is?

Does NH get Liriano and Martin part 2? or does he get Volquez and Ike Davis version 2.1?

This assertion makes me wonder if the Pirates were the mystery team making an offer for Hamels. With so little out there in the way of position players to fill holes, if we're going to add payroll, it will likely be in the rotation. Hamels would definitely be an add which increases the payroll substantially.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This assertion makes me wonder if the Pirates were the mystery team making an offer for Hamels. With so little out there in the way of position players to fill holes, if we're going to add payroll, it will likely be in the rotation. Hamels would definitely be an add which increases the payroll substantially.

I doubt that it means we made an offer for Hamels. Although, that would be my first choice to upgrade the rotation. The Dean article said they want to resign Liriano and Volquez, and those two moves would eat up the better part of whatever money they have left.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NH has a history of making trades to acquire pitchers near the end of their contract. I've been anticipating a Cliff Lee acquisition for so long that It probably doesn't make sense any more. Hamels would be bolder than anything we've seen from NH before, but not entirely out of line with the m.o. of the front office.

That said - trading prospects just to save dollars would be pretty fucking lame. There's a bunch of decent pitchers on the market that wouldn't cost us a prospect.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NH has a history of making trades to acquire pitchers near the end of their contract. I've been anticipating a Cliff Lee acquisition for so long that It probably doesn't make sense any more. Hamels would be bolder than anything we've seen from NH before, but not entirely out of line with the m.o. of the front office.

That said - trading prospects just to save dollars would be pretty fucking lame. There's a bunch of decent pitchers on the market that wouldn't cost us a prospect.

Lee would certainly cost less in prospects, at least should cost less than Hamels.

But agreed, might as well use that money on Lee (assuming the Phils pick up half his salary he is still a 12m/year pitcher) to sign a free agent. Lee has injury issues that aren't trivial too.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pirates Acquire Sean Rodriguez, Designate Gaby Sanchez ? MLB Trade Rumors

Well the reworking of the roster continues, Sean Rodriguez can play everything except catcher, and isn't a horrible hitter for a utility man.

Looks like Pedro is alone at first now with the Gaby DFA.

I don't even know what to say about this. We have DFA'd the two best options at first base, given Lambo almost no chance outside of a hand full of spring training games last year. But we are handing the job to a guy that can't throw, or hit, or get on base. This lovefest with Pedro has got to stop, Neil needs to look at film or something and see that Pedro has not changed a single thing about his approach, or his swing mechanics. I am baffled that at this point in his career, anyone would even consider him a major league baseball player, let alone a starter.

On the bright side, we should have 5 utility guys on the 40 man by now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates Acquire Sean Rodriguez, Designate Gaby Sanchez ? MLB Trade Rumors

Well the reworking of the roster continues, Sean Rodriguez can play everything except catcher, and isn't a horrible hitter for a utility man.

Looks like Pedro is alone at first now with the Gaby DFA.

I like the addition of Rodriguez. He's got some pop, and his versatility is nice to have, especially since Harrison will be the everyday third baseman, making him unable to fill the role. He can spell anyone and won't be a black hole in the lineup when he does it. Also gives us a little more play in how we construct the rest of the bench, since he can also serve as our backup shortstop.

DFAing Gaby, though, only makes sense if we're also targeting another right-handed bat. For all his faults, Gaby could always hit lefties well. Even if he wasn't going to get much time at first base with the Bucs' commitment to Pedro there, he would have been useful as a pinch-hitter. If the Pirates have an upgrade for that role in mind, it makes sense. If they don't, I really don't understand DFAing him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFAing Gaby also makes sense if we just sign him back after a few more roster moves.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the addition of Rodriguez. He's got some pop, and his versatility is nice to have, especially since Harrison will be the everyday third baseman, making him unable to fill the role. He can spell anyone and won't be a black hole in the lineup when he does it. Also gives us a little more play in how we construct the rest of the bench, since he can also serve as our backup shortstop.

DFAing Gaby, though, only makes sense if we're also targeting another right-handed bat. For all his faults, Gaby could always hit lefties well. Even if he wasn't going to get much time at first base with the Bucs' commitment to Pedro there, he would have been useful as a pinch-hitter. If the Pirates have an upgrade for that role in mind, it makes sense. If they don't, I really don't understand DFAing him.

I think DFAing Gaby is just opening a spot for Tony. He could be the third string catcher, and spell Pedro once a week at first.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DFAing Gaby is just opening a spot for Tony. He could be the third string catcher, and spell Pedro once a week at first.

Yeah, I've thought about this option too. I don't hate it.