• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one think this whole Phoenix-Philly trade goes against the spirit of the CBA.

Agree 100%. The whole Pronger situation is a black mark on the CBA. From LTIR'ing, to working for the league, to being eligible for the hall of fame, to being traded. What a joke.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw somewhere that Dion gets a 2m bonus on Canada Day and Phil gets 4m.

Factor in why they haven't been traded yet?:noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw somewhere that Dion gets a 2m bonus on Canada Day and Phil gets 4m.

Factor in why they haven't been traded yet?:noidea:
Yeah could be. Guess we just gotta wait and see.

I've never understood getting bonuses in the offseason - why not hand them out while games are being played?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eliteprospects.com - Dmytro Timashov

Gotta say I like this pick. 90 pts last season in the Q, has speed and great hands. Probably dropped to the fifth round because he's small, which, I thought teams were over that?

If he manages to lead the Q in scoring next season, the Leafs will have the leading scorer in the O from 2 years ago, the second-highest scorer in the O last season and now the highest scorer in the Q in their system. Not too shabby.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eliteprospects.com - Dmytro Timashov

Gotta say I like this pick. 90 pts last season in the Q, has speed and great hands. Probably dropped to the fifth round because he's small, which, I thought teams were over that?

If he manages to lead the Q in scoring next season, the Leafs will have the leading scorer in the O from 2 years ago, the second-highest scorer in the O last season and now the highest scorer in the Q in their system. Not too shabby.

For every Tyler Johnson there's about 5 Mattias Tedenbys.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers can buyout Gagner and turn his cap hit into just over half a mil this year. They save cap space by turning Grossman's $3 million cap hit into $600k.

I get that one, but I'd seen someone say between Pronger and Grossman Hexy was saving 7.9m. My calculator only uses real numbers :)

IIRC, you can't put a player on LTIR until after the season starts. So each year of the past 5, the Flyers were under the cap on opening night. Then they could exceed the cap by Pronger's 4.9 mil by putting him on LTIR.

In addition, any money you don't use early in the season creates more cap space for you at the trade deadline. Having the Pronger contract on LTIR used up all the cap space the Flyers had for the entire season, rather than saving X dollars a week. That saved money can be used to add a bigger salary at the deadline. The Flyers weren't able to do that in previous seasons due to Pronger's contract. LTIR doesn't take the $$ off the cap, it allows you to exceed to cap by that $$. So according to the books, the Flyers were right at the cap for every day during the past couple seasons, so they cant 'bank' any cap space to use later in the season (ie trade deadline).

So, it's not really saving 4.9 mil in cap space, but it does add a lot of flexibility for the Flyers. And saves them from having to do some cap gymnastics at the beginning of seasons to get under the cap. I can't remember which season it was, but they sent a high profile guy to the AHL for a couple days just to keep his salary off the cap for the season to start.

Ah, okay it's making more sense to me, and kind of what I thought. Not money saved, just money moved to a different pile. For a while I equated it to bragging that I saved 100 grand on a Porsche by not buying it. Made no sense to me.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. The whole Pronger situation is a black mark on the CBA. From LTIR'ing, to working for the league, to being eligible for the hall of fame, to being traded. What a joke.

He is now the answer to a trivia question; "Who is the only NHL executive to have been traded?"

:L

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is now the answer to a trivia question; "Who is the only NHL executive to have been traded?"

:L

The better question might be, which team did Chris Pronger retire with?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie Hamilton was uppity kid as post-Bruins character attacks begin | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

I can't stand people anonymously ripping a person's character instead of saying it to their face, I can't respect people who operate that way

Bruins deserve all of this shit - it's nice to see them in the dumpster fire right now, this is what they get

Pretty much standard operating procedure every time a young player is moved out of Boston, the player is a problem in the room. I'm more than happy to have this "problem" in Calgary.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Canucks' Bieksa deserves better - Sportsnet.ca

Some insight on the Bieksa deal - Wilson is apparently an SOB to make trades with, and it kinda looks like he was going to give up a second rounder for Bieksa then decided at the last minute not to and it fell apart.

Frankly, I'd rather have prospect Jeremy Roy than Kevin Bieksa for 4 years at $4 millionish but it seems like he took this one really far (Friedge says Bieksa went house hunting in SJ last week) and then queefed at the last minute. Hope SJ misses the playoffs again.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie Hamilton was uppity kid as post-Bruins character attacks begin | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

I can't stand people anonymously ripping a person's character instead of saying it to their face, I can't respect people who operate that way

Bruins deserve all of this shit - it's nice to see them in the dumpster fire right now, this is what they get
I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous.”
With the guys the "teammates didn't like" I could build the core of a contender. Maybe it's time to get rid of the teammates.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The real reason comes out:

Spector's Hockey @SpectorsHockey
Dougie Hamilton said, "Chow-dare" instead of "Chow-dah". #HamiltonSmearCampaign