• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't think they would look to Kane for mentorship as Giordano carries a ton of weight in the room. Also, Sean Monahan is mature beyond his years and wouldn't put up with any crap from Evander.

You're probably right regarding the Flames, but Buffalo is an entirely different story. Who's their leader, Tyler Ennis or Matt Moulson? They're so young, it's going to be very interesting to see how Evander Kane plays in Buffalo next season. On & off the ice.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they get Babcock? I can't see Nolan being the guy to stick around and see this thing through.

I agree that who they hire is likely to be the deciding factor.

I think Nolan would be sufficiently tough on him. But I think he's got the rest of this year and next at best. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make it to next year.

I do think Murray is tough enough though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago, St. Louis, LA Kings, Detroit & Boston. Those are the teams I think could make it work. That's about it. The coach has to be tough, no nonsense & Kane must know the coach has the okay from management to do what he feels needs to be done.

I thought it was a bit funny when Boston fans clamored for him (this was on twitter, not here) seeing as many were the same people who have justified the Seguin move over and over. When it comes down to it, a guy has to want to mature a bit...or at least alter their lifestyle to not implicate teammates. Look at Seguin in Dallas...has his lifestyle changed? Who knows, but whatever he's doing doesn't bug his teammates. Pro locker rooms are such a unique and intriguing mix of personalities and people. You have guys in their early twenties who may be unattached, just came into money, are in control of their lives and live it as such...and you have guys in their early thirties married with three kids who go to the rink, go home and make PB&Js and kick it with their families. Creates occasional friction when lifestyles collide.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that who they hire is likely to be the deciding factor.

I think Nolan would be sufficiently tough on him. But I think he's got the rest of this year and next at best. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make it to next year.

I do think Murray is tough enough though.

I tend to think Nolan would be a good fit for him. He seems like a 'take no crap' kind of guy. In terms of team leadership though, yeah, they need a veteran to be the rudder when issues arise. Nothing wrong with being a young team, but I just think to the Pens immediate post-tank: went out and spent on vets to sort of help out. The team wasn't great Sid's first year (and some for Geno's too) but Mario, Recchi, John Leclair (ooooof), and Ziggy Palffy (double ooooof) were around for that year, or parts of it. Of course the league isn't nearly the same today as it was ten years ago.

...oh man, that was ten years ago.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a bit funny when Boston fans clamored for him (this was on twitter, not here) seeing as many were the same people who have justified the Seguin move over and over. When it comes down to it, a guy has to want to mature a bit...or at least alter their lifestyle to not implicate teammates. Look at Seguin in Dallas...has his lifestyle changed? Who knows, but whatever he's doing doesn't bug his teammates. Pro locker rooms are such a unique and intriguing mix of personalities and people. You have guys in their early twenties who may be unattached, just came into money, are in control of their lives and live it as such...and you have guys in their early thirties married with three kids who go to the rink, go home and make PB&Js and kick it with their families. Creates occasional friction when lifestyles collide.

Tied to this idea ... Jim benning was somewhat instrumental in trading seguin away and he was after kane :noidea:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied to this idea ... Jim benning was somewhat instrumental in trading seguin away and he was after kane :noidea:

Huh...good point. I mean, complete outsiders perspective, but aren't the circumstances fairly similar? Except that Seguin is better? Of course in Boston Benning wasn't making the final call on anything, and it's very possible that the call to move Seguin came from above him, and he was basically just following orders.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to think Nolan would be a good fit for him. He seems like a 'take no crap' kind of guy. In terms of team leadership though, yeah, they need a veteran to be the rudder when issues arise. Nothing wrong with being a young team, but I just think to the Pens immediate post-tank: went out and spent on vets to sort of help out. The team wasn't great Sid's first year (and some for Geno's too) but Mario, Recchi, John Leclair (ooooof), and Ziggy Palffy (double ooooof) were around for that year, or parts of it. Of course the league isn't nearly the same today as it was ten years ago.

...oh man, that was ten years ago.

Thing is, the Pens were playing for the Cup three years after drafting Crosby. Is Buffalo three years from winning the East? Theoretically, next season should see improvement regardless of how little just based on the added offence Kane and McEichel are capable of providing, meaning they aren't going to be drafting at the top of the board for 5 straight years like PIT did. They may still be bottom 10ers but the lottery gets much more crapshoot-ey at that point.

In short, Buffalo are going to be a young team for far longer than any team that did rebuild in the first decade were.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, the Pens were playing for the Cup three years after drafting Crosby. Is Buffalo three years from winning the East? Theoretically, next season should see improvement regardless of how little just based on the added offence Kane and McEichel are capable of providing, meaning they aren't going to be drafting at the top of the board for 5 straight years like PIT did. They may still be bottom 10ers but the lottery gets much more crapshoot-ey at that point.

In short, Buffalo are going to be a young team for far longer than any team that did rebuild in the first decade were.

I'm certainly not projecting that, more using it as a comparison for the sake of veteran presence. They're certainly expediting the re-build moreso than the Pens (probably because they have actual leadership at the GM position).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh...good point. I mean, complete outsiders perspective, but aren't the circumstances fairly similar? Except that Seguin is better? Of course in Boston Benning wasn't making the final call on anything, and it's very possible that the call to move Seguin came from above him, and he was basically just following orders.

i think its pretty much the same situation in terms of young money dumb guy ... yes Seguin was/is a better player

biggest diff to me is Seguin was younger when Boston decided to cut the cord on him ... Kane prob has a bigger dossier of idiotic things he has done and like the article i posted last week ... no one probably knows more about what he has done off-ice than the Canucks because they have so many ties to all of Evanders stops along his hockey way

and yes Benning didnt have final say in the Seguin trade but remember how vociferous he was in that Bruins behind the scenes video about how badly he wanted to get rid of Seguin

All the heavies — president Cam Neely, assistant general manager Jim Benning, director of player personnel Scott Bradley, future director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky — chucked their critiques at Seguin while debating the forward’s Black-and-Gold future. A personal favorite was when they lamented the pending loss of Seguin’s breakaway speed.

“In the regular season,” jabbed Benning, his poker face complementing the contempt spilling from his voice.

so with all that ... and with all the knowledge about Kane off the ice ... and with how Lord Linden was hired and day 1 said the wanted to get quality people onto the team ... they still make a play for him

signs of a desperate organization/gm?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its pretty much the same situation in terms of young money dumb guy ... yes Seguin was/is a better player

biggest diff to me is Seguin was younger when Boston decided to cut the cord on him ... Kane prob has a bigger dossier of idiotic things he has done and like the article i posted last week ... no one probably knows more about what he has done off-ice than the Canucks because they have so many ties to all of Evanders stops along his hockey way

and yes Benning didnt have final say in the Seguin trade but remember how vociferous he was in that Bruins behind the scenes video about how badly he wanted to get rid of Seguin

All the heavies — president Cam Neely, assistant general manager Jim Benning, director of player personnel Scott Bradley, future director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky — chucked their critiques at Seguin while debating the forward’s Black-and-Gold future. A personal favorite was when they lamented the pending loss of Seguin’s breakaway speed.

“In the regular season,” jabbed Benning, his poker face complementing the contempt spilling from his voice.

so with all that ... and with all the knowledge about Kane off the ice ... and with how Lord Linden was hired and day 1 said the wanted to get quality people onto the team ... they still make a play for him

signs of a desperate organization/gm?

That or a hypocrite I guess. After seeing he was part of the group pleased to get Seguin off their hands, it's certainly confusing.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
B9lEYYhIAAE-avO.jpg

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Buffalo is a team that this off season, desperately needs to add some veteran, mature strong leadership into the room. If they could get a Messier-like presence and a decent goalie, they will move up quickly.

Point being, your observation is correct, but easily fixable with a couple more moves. And with the potential the team has, they need to make those moves

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo is a team that this off season, desperately needs to add some veteran, mature strong leadership into the room. If they could get a Messier-like presence and a decent goalie, they will move up quickly.

Point being, your observation is correct, but easily fixable with a couple more moves. And with the potential the team has, they need to make those moves

It's tough to lure vets to a terrible team. At least the valuable ones. When Leclair and Recchi played for Pittsburgh in 05-06, many people already thought Pittsburgh could be a playoff team (keep in mind they still had Mario). I don't think anybody in their wildest dreams thinks Buffalo is going anywhere near a playoff spot next season.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to lure vets to a terrible team. At least the valuable ones. When Leclair and Recchi played for Pittsburgh in 05-06, many people already thought Pittsburgh could be a playoff team (keep in mind they still had Mario). I don't think anybody in their wildest dreams thinks Buffalo is going anywhere near a playoff spot next season.

If they think there's potential in a year or 2 they may just suck it up for a season in order to reap the benefits of playing on the next version of the Penguins/Kings/Blackhawks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While your statement is very true, I will point out that the Sabres have a ton of cap space already and a couple high priced vets (Stewart and Meszaros) who come off after this year. In addition to that, they've got one of the wealthiest owners in the league who has no issue spending money.

Most - not all obviously - of these guys could be lured with the prospect of a bit more money and the knowledge that they could be a contender a few years into their contract.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While your statement is very true, I will point out that the Sabres have a ton of cap space already and a couple high priced vets (Stewart and Meszaros) who come off after this year. In addition to that, they've got one of the wealthiest owners in the league who has no issue spending money.

Most - not all obviously - of these guys could be lured with the prospect of a bit more money and the knowledge that they could be a contender a few years into their contract.

Very true. Get a few vets on 2 or 3 year deals for more money than they'd get elsewhere which doesn't handicap Buffalo when all the youngsters start requiring extensions.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Get a few vets on 2 or 3 year deals for more money than they'd get elsewhere which doesn't handicap Buffalo when all the youngsters start requiring extensions.

The Isles did that a few years back with Doug Weight. Over paid the hell out of him but he helped out guys like JT, Okposo, Hamonic etc. Now he's still with the team behind the bench. I never expected Weight to be a savior at any point while he was playing but it sure helped the younger guys develop in the NHL.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Isles did that a few years back with Doug Weight. Over paid the hell out of him but he helped out guys like JT, Okposo, Hamonic etc. Now he's still with the team behind the bench. I never expected Weight to be a savior at any point while he was playing but it sure helped the younger guys develop in the NHL.

To a point the Caps did with Federov and Nylander, too.